Hi Guys,

I had my cam gears replaced by Chatswood Lexus under warranty as the engine made that horrible noise few time at cold start up. Now I wish I hadn’t taken the car to them and lived with the cam gear issue which happened very rarely.

Before the car went to Chatswood Lexus for repairs the engine was running very smooth. The only noise you could hear was the high pressure fuel injector. Some times when I used to pull the car into the garage it was hard to hear even if the engine was running. However after the cam gears were replaces the engine is much noisier. Especially in the mornings until the engine completely warms up it sounds a bit like a diesel engine.

So I took the car to Chatswood Lexus 3 times and they said there is nothing wrong with it and the noise is in my head. So I recorded the engines noise and played it to their head supervisor. At which point he took the car for a drive and said it is due to piston flap and it is normal for a Lexus when it gets to about 60k. I was shocked to hear this. It sounded like he was making up stories so I took the car to Parramatta Lexus. (I have had good service from Chatswood before, but after this I am never taking my car to them again.)

Parramatta Lexus said IS250s don’t have piston flap and agreed the engine noise was unusual and they changed the water pump, under warranty and it is much much better now.

However it is still very noisy when I start in the morning. Also when I apply light throttle when taking off or going up a hill it still sounds like the same sound it makes when you have piston flap on old cars. I have attached a sound clip of what the car sounds when I start up.

Could you please let me know if this is normal or if you have come across this issue with your cars ? I have booked the car to be checked out by Parramatta Lexus again on the 29th.

Definitely not a "normal" sound - have you got an answer to IronFist's question - does the sound speed up when you rev the engine?

I'd escalate this ASAP.

Hmmm, don't discount Domdom's comment about oil. I'd be chucking a litre or two in if the dipstick shows allowance for that. The IS250 does go through a fair bit of oil (which is normal - check owners manual for confirmation of this) and for a car that's a few years old, it may go through a few litres between services. Don't wait for the scheduled services to get the oil level rectified. My car (2006, 75k) got a bit noiser about 67-68k too, a little similiar to what you're saying - but certainly not unnerving. Checked the oil level, and it was down a fair bit. Put in about 1-1.5L, and voila! the engine ran a lot quieter, esp. when cold. Or the oil you have in is not viscous enough and is a little too thin. Just a thought, but don't discount something as simple as that.

Good pont about oil. Having 15K service intervals seems a bit long, considering I get low oil level warnings about 2K kays away from one. I usually top it up straight after with about a litre of oil. Best thing to do would be to check your dipstick. You do notice the car run a bit quieter after a top up. Having said that, it doesn't sound anything like yours, something is definately not right. I was thinking maybe you have no oil, but then your dash would light up like a christmas tree...

Good pont about oil. Having 15K service intervals seems a bit long, considering I get low oil level warnings about 2K kays away from one. I usually top it up straight after with about a litre of oil. Best thing to do would be to check your dipstick. You do notice the car run a bit quieter after a top up. Having said that, it doesn't sound anything like yours, something is definately not right. I was thinking maybe you have no oil, but then your dash would light up like a christmas tree...

How come your oil level drops significantly every 15K? You must a high mileage or worn piston rings?

How come your oil level drops significantly every 15K? You must a high mileage or worn piston rings?

I had it checked by Lexus, they said my oil consumption was within accepted levels. When I top it up, the dipstick shows oil level around, or just under the minimum mark. I have just under 100K kays on my odo. Car does over 25K kays per year so gets serviced every 8 months or so.

• 1 month later...

So Parramatta Lexus have managed to find the issue. They believe the noise is caused by the Drive Belt or the Drive Belt Tensioner. Since replacing the Drive belt tensioner would cost $700 I decided to just replace the drive belt and see, which was only $80.

And yes that did the trick, well for a while anyway. After replacing the drive belt the car was soo quiet again and real pleasure to drive. However after 4 weeks and 1200 KM of driving the noise is back.

So I guess I will now go and replace the Drive Belt Tensioner.

Don't want to start a Melbourne Vs Sydney war, but you guys seem to get the s#itty end of the stick from the Lexus dealers in Sydney!!

Agree with ilv1004s - based on Parramatta Lexus' diagnosis, Chatswood should now fix the problem for free since it was originally presented to them during the warranty period.

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen, my car has started to have thisngrinding problem re cam gear. Its an 06 model. Pretty sure its out of warranty. Is there any way i can get Lexus to fix the problem for free, considering it is a known issue? Has anyone the tsb? Thanks in advance

• 7 months later...