Which Tyres?

Brisman

Time to change tyres. After a lot of research I have decided to go with 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear - this combo IMO is good and am happy with rolling circumference Vs original as well as front Vs back for the new set-up. Have ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports in from the US since Michelin Australia do not stock the 275/30 and only have 275/35. Will let all know how this goes as even with customs and tax it should work out considerably cheaper than the local quote that I got in Sydney if all goes well. Looking forward to trying this tyre which from various independent reports should perform a lot better than the Bridgestones particulalry at Eastern Creek on the track. Mileage should also be a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres arrived today, with AQIS, customs and tax I have them in my garage for $550 less than a local quote. Reason I imported was mainly to get the size that I wanted but nothing wrong with $550 for my troubles. Still have to get them fitted but for the time being am enjoying wringing the last out of the the old tyres. Michelin tread pattern looks aggresive and look forward to comparing the difference once fitted.

I did a bit of research and found a tyre that has the right roll diameter and same tread back and front.

I put on Falken F452's 275 30 19 on the rear and 245 35 19 on the front.

They tell me they are noise but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Fitted and balanced, for all 4, $1020.00.

They do not come anywhere near the guards.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys

Thinking of going 255 / 30 or 35 / 19 in the front and 275 / 30 / 19 in the rear in a Pirelli

Thoughts?

The size everyone goes to is 245/35R19 front and 275/30R19 rear. I'm running this size in Michelin Pilot Super Sport and I will never go back to stock tyre size!

I can't comment on the Pirellis other than every tyre test I've read places the Michelins at number one.....

Hi there

If you have a 2012+ car with the 8.5in front wheels i would go a 255/35 on the front as this will be pretty much identical to the rolling radius of the original factory fitment

I have a 2012 car and went with 245/35s but i can see the wheels could easily take another step up in tyre width.

On the rear a 265/35 is about as close as you'll get to the RR of the factory fitment even though again i think you could easily run a 275/35

• 4 weeks later...

I'm up for new front tyres and was thinking of going the Michelins as well, on the sites I can get pricing it would seem the 245/35/19 option $442 each) is cheaper than the OEM size for these ($483 each), these prices are fitted & balanced.

Are these prices reasonable or is the best option to call up a retailer on the day?

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone has tried the Continental Contisport Contact 5s as I've seen a few good reviews on these, pricing seems to be close that of the Michelins but reviews have the Continentals slightly ahead of the Michelins in terms of dry and wet grip. Unfortunately the reviews I've seen were for mostly FWD hatches so may not be relevant.

• 1 month later...

I've been running Michelin Pilot Super Sports for a couple of years now, 265/35 rear, 225/40 front. found them to be very good. The 35 series on the rears fill the guards very well, better for the speedo and the ride, and they never touch the guards. I will go 245/35 front next time, as the 225 look a little small. I'm also using nitrogen in the tyres, can't tell any difference, but they say it's better for heat.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys

Anyone tried Kumho KU39's?

My car is a weekender now so just checking any good place that i can buy and installed in Melbourne SE suburbs

Leaning towards the Michelin's are they mainly picked because good in track or good daily use?

Regards

Hi guys, im actually going to try the new Bridgestone Pure Adrenalyn Re003's. I did have a set of RE050 previously and found them extremely better than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Alot more grip on the rear on take off and the RE003's are even better for grip. They don't do a 275/30 but only a 275/35 which im hoping will fit. Has anyone else tried this size for the rears?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres are very good. I use them on track days, and they are better than Michelin Pilot Super Sports, that I use for the road, (& used to use at the track).

The Cup 2 tyres were not out in our sizes when I purchased my Cup + tyres, but when they wear out, I'll be using the Cup 2's, which are better still.