I have a 2004 LX470 and plan to take it on trips through the Simpson Desert. My concern is related to the AHC suspension - is it robust enough to handle the corrugations? Has anybody had any experienc with the LX470 on corrugated roads? Has anybody fitted Polyair air bags that support the coil springs?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot comment on how the suspension will stand up to corrugations but I have installed "in spring" air bags to cater for excessive ball weight when towing my 2.5 tonne caravan. Got them from truck Springs in USA at half the price (posted) that they wanted for them here. I only need to use about 10 PSI when towing and they advise to keep at least 5 PSI at all other times. Can still use all the height controls and suspension options. Happ to answer any other questions.

Cannot comment on how the suspension will stand up to corrugations but I have installed "in spring" air bags to cater for excessive ball weight when towing my 2.5 tonne caravan. Got them from truck Springs in USA at half the price (posted) that they wanted for them here. I only need to use about 10 PSI when towing and they advise to keep at least 5 PSI at all other times. Can still use all the height controls and suspension options. Happ to answer any other questions.

Thanks Frank.

Useful information as I was thinking about installing the Polyair bags - I think they are AUD$295. What mileage have you done and have you had any problems with the suspension?

Cheers

Thanks Frank.

Useful information as I was thinking about installing the Polyair bags - I think they are AUD$295. What mileage have you done and have you had any problems with the suspension?

Cheers

I have done 220,000K's but only about 40,000 with the air bags and no problems. I am going to change the suspension fluid very shortly. My caravan tow ball weight is 200Kg's and this is acceptable with 2 persons on board for the suspension, but this drops to 185Kg's with any more people on board. I still tend to use 10 PSI even with just the 2 of us as I believe that it does help the suspension out, particularly on rough and undulating roads where bouncing up and down can put tremendous weight on the tow ball.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I am a newbie.

I have a '99 model LX470 with 245,000 kms on the clock. I am looking to purchase a new caravan but have concerns about the towing capacity of my vehicle. Just by a per chance event, a friend recently asked me to tow their new 24' Jurgens (lightweight) caravan which has a tare weight of 1600 kgs (unloaded) and I discovered that my Lexus began rocking (not swaying) over some uneven road surfaces. This experience now cautions me when choosing to buying a new van as the vans I have been looking at most often have tare weights of around 2.5+tonne.

Has anyone had any similar experience and can suggest what I can do to firm up the suspension so that I can tow a more heavy weight caravan? Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Ian

Did you do the Simpson trip? If so how did it go? Did you modify your suspension. I intend to do the trip in a couple of weeks any info would be appreciated. I have a 2004 LX470 with 123,000km on the clock and slightly heavier rear springs by Castle Springs

• 1 year later...

I was told I had to change the rear springs for more solid ones as the airbags would herniate out the sides and puncture. Interested in any information you have after your installation. Sounds a lot cheaper than having to replace the springs.