Lexus Isf Aftermarket Exhaust ?

Bennee

I bought the Icode intake just for the Stealth look, Its not made what you would expect for $350-$400, but i guess its slightly better what was fitted from factory..

As you can see, the intake is right there ! , so yes you should be able to see it .

post-4062-0-60956000-1330655114_thumb.jp

Just be sure they don't over tighten the air box clamp, and it will crack the air box and your engine will breath in unfiltered and unmetered air., the latter causing your air / fuel ratios to be all over the place.!

THanks Richie.. At least I know what it looks like now when open the hood. and thanks for the tip regarding not overtightening. Hoping the chatswood dealership have done a few of these installs and would know some of the tricks in getting these installed correctly.

thanks again

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI all ISF lovers,

I have owned the ISF since 2009 and recently got the exhaust upgraded to the Joe Z Manifold with the Icode Cold air intake. First day on the road with the mods and wow, it has really changed the sound and I love the noise.

thanks to Carlos and Sid at Lexus Chatswood for a great modification.

too much rain to really test it but I will give it a run in all conditions over the next couple of weeks and post an update.

so far I love it!

brian

What is the noticeable performance difference (apart from the louder V8 sound) should I be looking out for when I pickup the car with the JOE Z exhaust and intake upgrade?

Should there be faster accelaration from a stand still? Also, does it still make use of the OEM quad tips? They dont replace this right?

HI all ISF lovers,

I have owned the ISF since 2009 and recently got the exhaust upgraded to the Joe Z Manifold with the Icode Cold air intake. First day on the road with the mods and wow, it has really changed the sound and I love the noise.

thanks to Carlos and Sid at Lexus Chatswood for a great modification.

too much rain to really test it but I will give it a run in all conditions over the next couple of weeks and post an update.

so far I love it!

brian

What is the noticeable performance difference (apart from the louder V8 sound) should I be looking out for when I pickup the car with the JOE Z exhaust and intake upgrade?

Should there be faster accelaration from a stand still? Also, does it still make use of the OEM quad tips? They dont replace this right?

The performance should be more, however it may take a few kms for the ECU to fully learn ... and yes, it still uses the Quad tips,

I painted the tips of my exhaust as it looked like this...

post-4062-0-10163800-1330834555_thumb.jp

And from Behind the car, all you see is 2 nicely polished pipes and this....

post-4062-0-05829900-1330834441_thumb.jp

Enjoy!

How do Lexus Chatswood get around the possible EPA issues of removing the cats? I assume they have 'for off road use only' somewhere on the invoice? Or does retaining one set of cat converters make it ok? If I get nicked by HWP and pinged with an aftermarket exhaust and given a slip to do an emissions test I don't want to be out of pocket because I have to remove it. (been there done that)

Chances are probably very slim since it's not known as a hoon mobile (WRX/Skyline)

How do Lexus Chatswood get around the possible EPA issues of removing the cats? I assume they have 'for off road use only' somewhere on the invoice? Or does retaining one set of cat converters make it ok? If I get nicked by HWP and pinged with an aftermarket exhaust and given a slip to do an emissions test I don't want to be out of pocket because I have to remove it. (been there done that)

Chances are probably very slim since it's not known as a hoon mobile (WRX/Skyline)

the Factory Headers have a set of Cats fitted to them, as per my pic below.

Ive been pulled in by the HWP and i told the guy when asked bout the exhaust, that it was stock ... and that after spending that much on a car you would expect the pipes to be shiney

Then a RTA guy asked me if i had a "engineers report" for the Wheels, brakes and engine.. As he said these only come with V6 engines...

Not until i pulled out the Owners manual did he believe me that it was stock , and the car came from factory with the V8 , the big brakes and wheels.!

The best was when he asked who fitted the V8, the Brakes and wheels...and i answered " well i don't know him personally... some guy from Lexus in Japan" lol

I highly doubt you would get any problems with the exhaust .

post-4062-0-23716600-1330838580_thumb.jp

The PTS is a cat-back system which sits behind the primary cats.

You would usually look at the cats when the headers are replaced & there are a few high flow options available. I doubt anyone would even consider removing the cats completely though .... Well not by Lexus and not in Aus :)

Have one last question. Those with the joe z, can you still tell when the secondary intake opens or is it now a constant sound now? I always love the sound of the engine when you get that secondary intake open. I'm assuming you lose that altogether now.

Have one last question. Those with the joe z, can you still tell when the secondary intake opens or is it now a constant sound now? I always love the sound of the engine when you get that secondary intake open. I'm assuming you lose that altogether now.

God no , its louder.! you would think the gates of hell have just opened.! With headers, its even better.!

While i was in the states, i took a ride with a guy who had the PPE headers and the JoeZ exhaust .. Wow is all i can say .. we all in for a treat !

Three words: OH MY GOD!!!

Just picked my car a few hours ago from the Lexus Chatswood service centre. Dam it's loud:). just driving at low revs can really bring out the sound of the V8. Sid was totally awsome. He spent 20mins with me going over the parts to be installed and also showed me the PPE headers which they will have in stock hopefully soon. He mentioned that with the JOEZ & Air intake you get approx 360kws.. adding the PPE headers, you get over 400kw.. that is awsome!!!

He did mention that after time, the sound will quieten down. As much as I love the sound of the V8, I dont think I could live with that sound day in day out when cruising;)

I did notice you dont even have to floor the car to get up to speed. It might be my imagaination, but take off seems quicker. It just screams perforcmance now:).

Sid mentioned also that they are bringing in a carbon fibre exhaust tips.. that would be interesting as well..

He also mentioned an F drive day to the hunter valley.. so all the F & Fsport vehicles.. wouldnt that be a sight to see. He was telling me that they will have some GS cars and people would take their turns in driving the GS up to the hunter:)

Just picked my car a few hours ago from the Lexus Chatswood service centre. Dam it's loud:). just driving at low revs can really bring out the sound of the V8. Sid was totally awsome. He spent 20mins with me going over the parts to be installed and also showed me the PPE headers which they will have in stock hopefully soon. He mentioned that with the JOEZ & Air intake you get approx 360kws.. adding the PPE headers, you get over 400kw.. that is awsome!!!

He did mention that after time, the sound will quieten down. As much as I love the sound of the V8, I dont think I could live with that sound day in day out when cruising;)

I did notice you dont even have to floor the car to get up to speed. It might be my imagaination, but take off seems quicker. It just screams perforcmance now:).

Sid mentioned also that they are bringing in a carbon fibre exhaust tips.. that would be interesting as well..

He also mentioned an F drive day to the hunter valley.. so all the F & Fsport vehicles.. wouldnt that be a sight to see. He was telling me that they will have some GS cars and people would take their turns in driving the GS up to the hunter:)

Ahh knew you would love it .!

However , when Sid gave you the power readouts, did he say if that was at the engine or at the wheels.? and if that was Kws, or horsepower.?

Reason i ask is, the guys in the states are averaging around the 380-405 hp (283-302kws at the wheels , with headers, JoeZ exhaust and intake. And the hightest Hp ISF I've ever read about has 421 HP at the wheels, which in the new money is 313.9 kws at the wheels.

I suspect out Aussie read outs should be more due to the higher octane petrol we had available... most "gas" stations in the states only sell 91, which we all know here as well basically "*BLEEP* fuel"

Was he able to give you any kind of price regarding the headers, and when they would be available ?

Below is a pic of the Carbon Tips.

post-4062-0-41398900-1331158397_thumb.jp

post-4062-0-90487400-1331158429_thumb.jp

Enjoy.!

They look pretty good. Any pics around with them on the Blue ISF?

Funny thing is, I had an M3 for 4 years and never thought once about modifying it. Now I've got an ISF I can't stop thinking about doing mods.

However , when Sid gave you the power readouts, did he say if that was at the engine or at the wheels.? and if that was Kws, or horsepower.?

Reason i ask is, the guys in the states are averaging around the 380-405 hp (283-302kws at the wheels , with headers, JoeZ exhaust and intake. And the hightest Hp ISF I've ever read about has 421 HP at the wheels, which in the new money is 313.9 kws at the wheels.

I suspect out Aussie read outs should be more due to the higher octane petrol we had available... most "gas" stations in the states only sell 91, which we all know here as well basically "*BLEEP* fuel"

Was he able to give you any kind of price regarding the headers, and when they would be available ?

Enjoy.!

Yeah.. definitely loving the new sound it makes.

Sid didnt mention whether the readout was at the engine or wheels. he did mention it in kw's though.

In regards to the headers, he didnt have a price yet. He showed me the only test header which was to be installed on his friends ISF - Lucas??

Once it tests out fine, he will order some in and price it at that time. he said he'll be sending out an email to all the F owners once its available.

Those carbon tips look great.. What did that set you back. Those were the ones he must have been talking about.

What I did notice is that the exhause only has 1 pipe on each end. I could have sworn the OEM exhasust had 4 pipes, but Sid mentioned that even the OEM had only 2 pipes.. I think it kinda looks weird where you can only see the one pipe through the 2 tips on each end..

Enjoy.!

Yeah.. definitely loving the new sound it makes.

Sid didnt mention whether the readout was at the engine or wheels. he did mention it in kw's though.

In regards to the headers, he didnt have a price yet. He showed me the only test header which was to be installed on his friends ISF - Lucas??

Once it tests out fine, he will order some in and price it at that time. he said he'll be sending out an email to all the F owners once its available.

Those carbon tips look great.. What did that set you back. Those were the ones he must have been talking about.

What I did notice is that the exhause only has 1 pipe on each end. I could have sworn the OEM exhasust had 4 pipes, but Sid mentioned that even the OEM had only 2 pipes.. I think it kinda looks weird where you can only see the one pipe through the 2 tips on each end..

Hey bud,

Firstly , I don't own them tips that was a pic i grabbed online, but I've heard of these tips a while back , and they were close to $299 USD when they were launched. so who knows what there worth now. Plus id assume Sid means Hp at the wheels... Still more then enough to take on most HSVs and Falcons.. Ive beat a few GTS's in my ISF.!

Yeah the OEM muffler has 2 smaller outlets on each muffler section as per pic below

post-4062-0-80185900-1331177498_thumb.jp

However thats why when i fitted my JoeZ exhaust i blacked out the ends of the outlets, like this ,

post-4062-0-28615600-1331177613_thumb.jp

The End result being like this ,

post-4062-0-33136100-1331177662_thumb.jp

And looking like this from behind

post-4062-0-63742900-1331177712_thumb.jp

I was interested in the carbon fibre tips but they were taken off the market about 12 months ago as under extreme conditions i.e. on the track, they were melting. Not sure if these tips are now later editions where they have corrected this problem.

Hey guys, first time poster. Just thought I should clear one thing up here. The fuel ratings in the states use a different measurement method than here in Australia so the 91 fuel that they sell there is equivalent to a 95 locally.

60-70Kw ATW is a pretty big gain (from say a 290Kw ATW starting point) from just exhaust and intake, I'd be wanting to see a before and after dyno read out. 100KW from those 3 mods is supercharger territory. I'd expect 20-30Kw from experience.

60-70Kw ATW is a pretty big gain (from say a 290Kw ATW starting point) from just exhaust and intake, I'd be wanting to see a before and after dyno read out. 100KW from those 3 mods is supercharger territory. I'd expect 20-30Kw from experience.

Who Has 290 Kws taws ? Most of us have around 250-260 kws atws now. Im lead to believe most guys in the states have around 300-310 after fitting the headers, JoeZ and intake..

But you right , 100kws is a massive jump in power from just them 3 mods.! if there was a way to lean these things out up high even just a touch then you might expect around 50-60 kws extra...

Im hunting around at the mo for a ecu that will do this.!

Richie

Hi Guys, my understanding from the guys at Lexus in Brisbane was an extra 50KW from the engine, standard 311KW to around 360KW. Not sure how they measured it but Brisbane said they did a dyno on the first two cars they modified and that's what they were getting.

I know, I didn't understand this either, surely when you dyno it's measuring at the wheels. Anyway, it sort of makes sense, exhaust somewhere between 25-35 HP, intake maybe around 5 to 8 Hp, apparently the polished intake manifold adds about the same as the exhaust around 25-35HP. So, all up somewhere between 55HP and 80 HP which sort of makes sense of the 50 KW.

I'm no expert but these numbers seem to add up, just a couple of things I'm not sure of like how did they dyno.

Anyway, they also said give it about 3-4 weeks for the "car" to learn the new set up, and a bit of time for the car to quieten down, I believe to let the exhaust carbon up a bit.

My experience was the car did get faster over 3-4 weeks after the mod and about 2-3 months to quieten down a bit, but didn't quieten down much.

As somebody else mentioned, my wife went ballistic when she heard the car with the mods, she thought I ruined a great car.

Not me, I love it.

I was just

Who Has 290 Kws taws ? Most of us have around 250-260 kws atws now. Im lead to believe most guys in the states have around 300-310 after fitting the headers, JoeZ and intake..

But you right , 100kws is a massive jump in power from just them 3 mods.! if there was a way to lean these things out up high even just a touch then you might expect around 50-60 kws extra...

Im hunting around at the mo for a ecu that will do this.!

Richie

I was working on about 10-20% drivetrain loss from 310Kw. So as you say it's closer to 20-25%. but now I know they were estimating engine kw's it's a different story again. Would be interesting to see a before and after dyno when one happens. Exciting times ahead!!

hi guys

just wondering has anyone put there car on a dyno before and after modifications and have the dyno sheets. , some of the numbers i am hearing are great

hi guys

just wondering has anyone put there car on a dyno before and after modifications and have the dyno sheets. , some of the numbers i am hearing are great

Yeah I've had it on 3 times, and had 3 different readings... 278, 261, 263 kws atws, and they all have one thing in common.. these engines run CRAZY rich up top, close to 11.5 a/f ratio, which is safe for the engine, no good for power.

Am talking to a few places trying to chase piggybacks so we can lean it a touch .. as there is no use doing headers, and intakes if we can't alter or even adjust the tune a little to suit the breathing mods fitted..

Richie