wato

Spare Smart Key

Reprogramming a new key with Techstream is easy - erasing an old used key is not. The cars computer has to be reset "reseeded" is the term used by the OBD II Techstream, in order to do this you need an authorisation code direct from Toyota so the only people that can do this is your local Lexus dealer (but even then they may refuse to re-pogram a used key, tbh they probably don't even know how).

Thanks for that useful info I CU2.

Have you personally added a new key?

If so where did you purchase it from?

What part would I need given the info I provided?

If I can't remove an old key/fob easily then will that old key continue to work if the previous owner finds it??

How many fobs can one car pair with?

I have a cheap ODBII tool but not Techstream, I presume I can get a torrent. If I can get a new key/fob for cheap then I'll consider doing it myself.

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Lost one of your Smartkeys?  For an IS250 at least, you can buy a second-hand replacement for less than A$100 - try allkeyless llc on ebay. You can get it reprogrammed to work on your car - if you are around Melbourne try Alex at Galmier Locksmiths 0407022234.  Lexus dealers and Lexus Australia will tell you this can't be done - that each key is locked to the vehicle at the factory and cannot be reprogrammed.  They are simply lying, which is disgraceful behaviour for a company that provides such great vehicles and service. Negotiate a price for reprogramming ahead of time. There is less than two hours work involved in reprogramming the card and cutting a new hard key, and of course some special software is required.  

Thanks for the info John but unfortunately (for me) you're about a year too late. I paid approx $520 for a new smart key all done by Lexus of Melbourne as nobody could convince me that using a used fob was possible - I wasn't convinced and thought that it could be done but bit the bullet.

I'd understand if someone told me that there was some data written to the key/fob and it was a write-once chip but couldn't get the info I needed at the time and didn't want to risk losing or damaging the only smart key that I had.

For the sake of others in the same dilemma that I was I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had a used remote programmed to an IS250 ('07 - '14 era). Who did it? costs? etc. I'd be more interested to hear from others who did it themselves!

I was just quoted by Blackburn Lexus dealer the $3.5K - $5k range for a replacement key for Lexus is250 (2006) as I've lost my one and only copy. 

They said that the whole dashboard will need to be replaced and the key itself costs around $850. Also that locksmiths cannot do it anymore. But will try the locksmith quoted by John A

On 3/17/2013 at 6:17 PM, @mans247 said:

You can order the keycard key from Lexus of Miami Florida (yes you read right) and i think its $250 -$500 from them cant remember.

Is locksmith can help with getting the keycard at affordable price ??