Squeaky Brakes

@mans247

Hey guys,

My ISF has got squeaky brakes, i called Lexus Chatswood and they tell me that its normal. There is plenty of meat left on the pads but they squeak when i approach a set of lights under normal braking. Ca hasn't even done 20k kms

Does anyone else have this problem?

From what i understand the discs need replacing and its a 3 k job which they are trying to avoid.

Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Mine squeal a lot too, especially when the car is slowing down to a stop at low speed. I think it's just that the brakes are very noisy and emit a lot of dust, but they are brilliant on a track. So I'm not really that fussed :-) My car has only just broken the 14k km mark.

I don't have any noise either, sometimes I get a slight brake squeal coming to a stop at traffic lights but very rarely. I would say its more than likely brake dust build up causing the noise

Mine still squeal after 61,000 km on the original rotors and pads. I guess I don't brake that hard lol

How did you get 61K on the originals, unbelievable.

Do you drive in manual mode a lot and use the motor to slow you down?

Front pads and rotors at 20K for me, I'm at 45K now so I'm thinking front and back this time, $5K, yikes!

Re: Squealing, yes I get it, just the norm for the ISF, a good blast with the Gerni when I wash the car every week helps keep the noise down.

Okay, okay, I lied, I don't wash it every week, it is a black one so maybe every 5 days, sometimes 4, or is it 3? :D

Actually when it needs it. Black! every 2 hours!!!!

Have fun.

NFI. at the 30,000 km service they said I'll need brakes at the next service so I picked up some pads from our friend in NZ and 31,000 km later my fronts are 50% remaining and rears 75% remaining.

So 61,000 km and it looks like I'll make it a little further

• 2 weeks later...

Mine don't squeak at all, I feel lucky but think I deserve a break given the interior rattles and squeaks I put up with until I fixed them LOL

• 3 weeks later...

My brakes made noise towards the end of their life. Once the new pads & rotors were in it was all good again that was about 15K ago.

There are a few brake pad alturnatives available..... I have been looking for a while now for trying to find a pad/rotor combo more suited to street then track, that will last a bit longer and hopefully cheaper then the oem. So far I have heard some good news about project mu & hawk pads. I havent found too much in the way of rotors apart from Figs.

Most alturnative pads claim less dusting and noise. But like I said I'm still in the process of looking for a better alturnative to the Brembos. Has anyone else used different pads or rotors?

• 10 months later...

Hi All, I'm reviving this thread as I'm getting towards the end of my tether with my squealing brakes. I've only had it 3 months and it had 20k on it when I bought it. The squealing is constant, obviously worse at lower speeds which are unfortunately common in Sydney. I'm not sure if I should just take the pads out and clean/regrease and hope for the best, or replace with hawks or carbotechs. I've read heaps of forums many times and there just doesn't seem to be a consistent solution for this. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions people could put forward! Thanks.

Just have to live with the fact that it will make some noise more or less, especially if you are on OEM Brembo pads due to the excessive dusting.

I changed to Project Mu pads and they squealed like a pig in heat at first. After a proper bed in and driving around for a bit more, it now has minimal squeaking. If you are always in stop start traffic then I suggest you do a brake bed in once in a while or just give the brakes a good stomping and then high pressure all the dust out. I bet with your constant start stop traffic driving, the pad material on the rotor is getting worn off which in my case was the culprit so now I just stomp on the brakes regularly.

Good read:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

Also, have you actually checked to see if there is any pad left? If the pads are worn then the indicator pin will cause constant squeaking indicating new pads are in order.

• 1 month later...

Hey All, I spent a couple of hours on the weekend replacing my front rotors and pads. I got Ferodo rotors from eBay UK (which are actually made by Brembo) and then after much research settled on Stoptech brake pads. I'm happy to say at the moment it appears to have stopped all noise coming from the brakes! The initial bite on the Stoptechs isn't quite as good as OEM, but I'd happily sacrifice that for no noise. The OEM pads were very close to the wear sensor, and the rotors were heavily lipped. The car only has 25k kms so I'm not sure how people are getting 50k+ out of them!! I'll keep you all updated if anything changes, but at this point I would recommend the Stoptech pads if the squealing is driving you nuts!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

replaced pads and rotors a few weeks back and got brake squeal, told chatswood lexus when they serviced the car and they said that the rotors and the pads were glazed. To fix they will rough up the pads and rotors too get rid of the squeal. Should have the car back by end of next week and report back the results.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...