Buying An Isf - What To Look For?

m0nk3y

Hey

I'm looking to pick up an ISF in the future, so long as my wife is happy for me to spend this much money haha

Is there anything I should look out for when I go inspect them? I'm looking at possibly a 2011 model. Im aware of the instrument cluster change already, which I dont mind at all.

Does the ISF have electric folding side mirrors? I think they look great if they fold in and out when the engine starts.

m0nk3y first of all welcome. I have the 2010 model which does not have the new instrument cluster but is upgraded from the original model. The main changed is the suspension is softer and more refined (which you will find as each model changes it get even better) and the addition of a Torsen LSD which was definately a needed addition. My model still requires the pushing of the button on the drivers door to fold the mirrors but i believe the 2011 model does have it with the locking and unlocking of the car. Guys correct me if i am wrong. I had my ISF thoroughly inspected from Melbourne City Lexus and i would strongly advise you have it inspected from a Lexus dealership and anyone else you wish as some things are definately NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. Accidents and Flood damage are 2 to name. Also make sure it has books and Full Lexus Service History. I personally will not buy any Lexus without them.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

thanks

i'm probably going to be buying from a dealer, since im thinking that i'm spending all this money, i might as well get it from a dealer, never know if a private sale is going to get me a lemon on a 90k car.

but it can happen on a dealer sale, so i guess i have to be careful.

if i bought from a non lexus dealer, there wouldnt be a chance to bring it to a lexus dealer to get it checked out would there?

Any dealer who does not have anything to hide would not object to having it inspected by a authorized Lexus Dealership. If they do then they can keep it.

I personally brought my ISF from a private sale in Victoria. It was a 1 owner and it was immaculate. Lexus checked it out and it has been perfect. Some of the other guys from the forums here also bought private and i have not read any negative reports.

For 90k you should be getting a 2011-2012.

I just took delivery of a new 2013 ISF and this model still has the button for the fold in mirrors.

As far as I can see there is no way to have these fold automatically at start or stop. I would love to have this happen so if anyone knows to change this then I would love to know.

Mines up for sale as well low km, Just serviced with a full 30 point check.... I also purchased the OEM Lexus extended warranty ... covered till 2017 & fully transferrable to the next owner... will PM you link with details ...

Ping me if you have any questions

Good luck

Mike

Things I would check for

1) Check for coolant leaks in the engine bay, are there blotches of yellow/green fluid, possibly dried up

2) Water pump - check for these

3) Transmission - check to see if it is "slipping" in first gear. Should be obvious during the test drive, when starting from a stationary position, put the foot on the gas very gently. The car should smoothly accelerate, no jerking or flaring.

4) Brake pads - how much wear they have left

5) Brake rotors - warped brake rotors are an indication the car has been driven very hard, possibly lots of track work. When stopping from around 10km/h to a stop, do the brakes squeal excessively or do you hear a "metal on metal" grinding sound?

6) The obvious paint chips, colour mismatches, scratches and dents - try to inspect the car in the day light from different angles. I made the mistake many years ago of not inspecting this properly only to find that the car I bought had a lousy bumper respray that I only picked up after purchasing the vehicle.

7) Service intervals, obviously. Check how often oil has been changed.

I had a IS350 F Sport just before i got my ISF and i had enabled the feature in the menu system that when i locked the car it would fold the mirrors in and when i unlocked the car they would open again. I have not been in a 2011 ISF but i would assume that that feature would be included also.

I had a IS350 F Sport just before i got my ISF and i had enabled the feature in the menu system that when i locked the car it would fold the mirrors in and when i unlocked the car they would open again. I have not been in a 2011 ISF but i would assume that that feature would be included also.

I've searched through the owner's manual and the menu system and still can't find this option in my 2013 ISF.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just took delivery of a new 2013 ISF and this model still has the button for the fold in mirrors.

As far as I can see there is no way to have these fold automatically at start or stop. I would love to have this happen so if anyone knows to change this then I would love to know.

Mine is a 2008 and has the folding mirrors although it was done via a mod.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm also hunting down a slightly second hand ISF (Please let me know if anyone is thinking of selling!) Drove one for the first time last week and loved it. Never thought I would touch a Lexus, but it looks like I might!

I just have a question regarding the LSD. What year model was this introduced? Want to be sure I'm picking up one with LSD as I intend to have it out on trackdays occasionally.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm also hunting down a slightly second hand ISF (Please let me know if anyone is thinking of selling!) Drove one for the first time last week and loved it. Never thought I would touch a Lexus, but it looks like I might!

I just have a question regarding the LSD. What year model was this introduced? Want to be sure I'm picking up one with LSD as I intend to have it out on trackdays occasionally.

Thanks!

Hi,

The mechanical LSD was fitted to the MY10 models, from around August 09. Also come with the USB input.

Mechanical diff definitely a plus on the track.

ISF more balanced track car than the c63.

I can't speak for the ISFs without the LSD, but those around in Brisbane know my car has been on track days and skid pans pretty often. The LSD brings the car's ability to power out of corners to a new level, if you turn off all the aids you can not only get the car sideways easily by using power oversteer (no need for Scandinavian flick, the car has enough power to go sideways anytime you feel like it). Jab the throttle, wait for the rear to swing round and then hold the drift by modulating the throttle and countersteering.

I've been on a track with an M3 (mine's a MY2012 ISF) and he could not shake me off. I overtook him on the straights (I've got PPE headers and the Borla catback, so I'm not exactly stock) and when we got into the paddocks I could hear the disappointment in his voice at "losing" to an ISF...

Still too many people underestimate this car, particularly the revised later year models.

I've got an 08 and with the proper tyre setup it is a monster on the track, been out a few times and overtook many "higher spec" cars around corners and straight too you just need to be careful with the throttle when powering out of corners. My next upgrade will be an LSD for sure though. Overall the ISF is an underestimated monster which makes it more fun to see disappointed prestige cars drivers getting tiny in he rear view mirror.

If there is anyone out there who has been lucky enough to buy a second ISF, it would be great to share that knowledge with those who are in the market themselves. I'm still looking but one thing I have noticed is that they don't tend to hang around on carsales for very long! Any advice people could offer on prices paid would be fantastic!