Advice - Buying A 2009 Lexus Rx350 Ggl15R Sport Luxury Sports Automati

Hi Guys, I am thinking about buying a 2009 Lexus RX350 GGL15R Sport Luxury Sports Automatic model. Just wanted to check with current owners if their is any issue with this particular model. or something I should check in particular.

Also what wud be a reasonable price for 70KM, with following extra (Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Tinted window, side steps and floor mats), cream interior color (which is a must have for me).

This is my first time with lexus and to be honest I am not a car expert by any means. I wanted to upgrade due to increasing family and need more space with little bit luxury.

Please advise.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the club.

Lexus in general are extremely reliable, and at 70,000km there should be really nothing wrong provided it has been serviced regularly. First item I'd check would be the log book, to ensure the services have been carried out when specified.

At 70,000 the brake pads and rotors would probably have been done, but get them checked for wear - new rotors can get pretty expensive. Have a look underneath for any signs of damage caused by off-roading. The mere fact the car has been off road is not a problem (ie red dust showing) but make sure none of the under-floor panels, hoses etc show signs of damage.

2nd generation RX models could develop rattles which were hard to trace. Not so sure about the 2009 (3rd generation) but take it for a long test drive over various road surfaces and see if you get any rattles.

Finally, there is a lot of electrical and electronic gear in an RX. Make sure that every switch works properly. If you're buying from a dealer, make sure he updates the satellite navigation disk for you - they're outrageously expensive to buy.

Good luck with your purchase - a Lexus is a fine way to travel.

Edited to add: Get a mechanic to run a scanner to check if there are any error messages which might indicate component failures such as coil packs on the way out which might not be obvious on a short drive test.

Edited by Poisson

Hi, welcome to the club.

Lexus in general are extremely reliable, and at 70,000km there should be really nothing wrong provided it has been serviced regularly. First item I'd check would be the log book, to ensure the services have been carried out when specified.

At 70,000 the brake pads and rotors would probably have been done, but get them checked for wear - new rotors can get pretty expensive. Have a look underneath for any signs of damage caused by off-roading. The mere fact the car has been off road is not a problem (ie red dust showing) but make sure none of the under-floor panels, hoses etc show signs of damage.

2nd generation RX models could develop rattles which were hard to trace. Not so sure about the 2009 (3rd generation) but take it for a long test drive over various road surfaces and see if you get any rattles.

Finally, there is a lot of electrical and electronic gear in an RX. Make sure that every switch works properly. If you're buying from a dealer, make sure he updates the satellite navigation disk for you - they're outrageously expensive to buy.

Edited to add: Get a mechanic to run a scanner to check if there are any error messages which might indicate component failures such as coil packs on the way out which might not be obvious on a short drive test.

good advice

having owned a 2nd gen late MY08 and now a 3rd gen My11

it's a pleasure to drive the RX's

theres not much to fault about these cars at all

any problem i had was the rear tail gate 2nd gen which i didnt know it had problems and the dealer fixed it for me

my 3rd gen im yet to find any problems at all

Hi, welcome to the club.

Thanks for the advice Poisson. I did some further research. I have found a car which has done 72,000 KM and 2009 Sport Luxury GGL15R. Its a dealer car with standard features. It has a nudge bar which I dont know is an option feature or standard. The dealer is offering me 3 years or 150,000 KM warrently for $2500 and he also said that if I buy private car I can buy extended warrrenty from dealership. Is that true that if you buy privately then you can buy extended warrenty?

He has offering it for $47,600 and says the price is final. I have searched similar car and found the price is in the same range as for other cars if the car has more km's say 80k or 85 km then the price comes down $1500-$3000k and if the km are in the range of 50k-60K price goes up to $49-51K.

I wanted to take your opinion for following thing

1. Is the price ok in your opinion?

2. Dealer is giving road worthy certificate. Do I need to look for anything in particular?

3. Can i negotiate the price for extended warrenty?

4. There was some rust on the brakes and the dealer said its normal as the car has been sitting there for some time. Is that normal?

5. Car service is done regularly for 12 month, 24, 36 and 48th month. But after the 48 month service which was done on 16.5.2012 no service has been done. Dealer has offered to do the 60 motnh service for free. As you mentioned the break pad gets weared out around 70km mark. Should I ask them to check the break pad etc and change them for me or is it too much to ask? I am really bad in negotiation !!

6. The Sat map version is VerR19_V8. Is this the latest or should I ask him for it? He said there might be a new map version coming in Feb next year !!

7. For the scanner thing, should I ask them or they would have already done it in the road worthy certificate?

8. I want to have a bit stylish alloy wheels but the dealer said they dont have it and they do not do it. If I want to then I have to do it outside with any private shop. Is that the way it works?

9. I want to have side bar in the car as it would be helpful for my mum as she has knee problem. Is there any side effect to have it? Also, should I get it done from dealership or outside?

9. Any other thing I need to ask or check, please let me know....

I really appreciate your reply. As you can imagine buying a new car for a novice like me can be a daunting task :):)

Cheers,

Aman

> 1. Is the price ok in your opinion?

I really can't comment on the price as I don't know about the second hand market in Queensland. Best thing is to do as you have done and research prices on similar cars with similar milage.

> 2. Dealer is giving road worthy certificate. Do I need to look for anything in particular?

Sorry I can't answer that one either. Here in WA we don't have the roadworthy certificate system, so I don't know what's involved.

> 3. Can i negotiate the price for extended warrenty?

As far as I know there are two different types of extended warranty - "genuine" Lexus (actually Toyota) or third party. I bought the genuine Lexus when I got my car, but it's a hybrid and I wanted to ensure that expensive parts like the inverters were covered. Check which warranty is being offered - the third party ones are (in my opinion) worth a heck of a lot less than the genuine one. I don't see why you can't try to negotiate them down - you could always say you're not interested and see if they'll drop the price. Note that a lot of people don't think it's worth getting an extended warranty.

> 4. There was some rust on the brakes and the dealer said its normal as the car has been sitting there for some time. Is that normal?

Yes, a bit of superficial rust on the rotors is normal. However take the car for a good drive and check that the rust has come off when you get back.

> 5. Car service is done regularly for 12 month, 24, 36 and 48th
month. But after the 48 month service which was done on 16.5.2012 no
service has been done. Dealer has offered to do the 60 motnh service for
free. As you mentioned the break pad gets weared out around 70km mark.
Should I ask them to check the break pad etc and change them for me or
is it too much to ask? I am really bad in negotiation !!

I don't think anything's too much to ask of a used car dealer! However, they don't always tell the entire truth. If you have a friend who is (genuinely) knowledgable about cars, I'd get him to have a look at it. Alternatively you can get your state motoring organisation (RAC) to check it over for a fee.

6. The Sat map version is VerR19_V8. Is this the latest or should I ask him for it? He said there might be a new map version coming in Feb next year !!

Yes, I think that's current. Don't worry about the new one - there usually isn't much change from one year to the next unless you live in an area that's developing rapidly. Most people keep the same maps for a few years.

7. For the scanner thing, should I ask them or they would have already done it in the road worthy certificate?

I doubt it would be included in the roadworthiness certificate. As above, dealers are sometimes economical with the truth, so there's not a lot to be gained by getting them to scan it. If you're going for the extended warranty it should cover the sorts of things a scan would pick up.

8. I want to have a bit stylish alloy wheels but the dealer said they
dont have it and they do not do it. If I want to then I have to do it
outside with any private shop. Is that the way it works?

Yes, the dealers don't want to worry themselves with things like that on a used car.

9. I want to have side bar in the car as it would be helpful for my
mum as she has knee problem. Is there any side effect to have it? Also,
should I get it done from dealership or outside?

Don't know - I don't have them on my car. Generally things cost a lot more when done by the dealer, but you do get the best quality. As the RX is a less common car you might have trouble finding aftermarket items unless you go on Ebay or somewhere like Sewells in the US.

9. Any other thing I need to ask or check, please let me know....

Just make sure you're really comfortable with the car when you put your money down. It's a big investment, but a Lexus is a very very nice car.

Probably just add a little of my own experience from my own 2009 RX:

3. Lexus extended warranty is definitely negotiable, you can negotiate it as part of buying the car now or you can call around different dealers and buy it anytime up to the end of the 4 year manufacturer's warranty which I am assuming should be soon like mine. Don't forget to negotiate on Lexus roadside assistance as well, it is basically re-badged NRMA but I got it for cheaper than if I bought it from NRMA.

5. I just had my 75k km service done today for around $800 so having it thrown in is a good thing. I was quoted by Lexus to change brake pads last service for $900, I went to my own mechanic and asked for genuine Lexus brake pads and I was charged $500 parts & labour.

9. I assume you mean side steps, I quoted with Lexus for genuine ones for $1000 installed but ended up installing an aftermarket for $400 including installation in Sydney bought from Ebay, it is from China but surprisingly sturdy and works quite well.

You can't go wrong with an RX, Lexus cars are reliable, comfortable and fairly good to drive. All the best with the purchase.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

with great mpg

Hmm, depending how you see it?

The new one (fourth generation) that supposedly coming at the end of 2015, has an 8 speed auto and with slightly more power; but the overall aim is better fuel consumption over its previous generation.

I own the 3rd generation and fuel economy could be better, with PULP 95+, I tend to get around 460 to 480 depending on the fuel. With E10 around 410 to 440. As some will say weight is everything, I don't have any thing in the boot other than a pram and a child seat in the rear. But still the figures should hamper it that much?

There are times I wish there was more power with the car, being a 2012 build, and so far still not much of any thing wrong with it other than wear and tear where I'll need to change the tyres.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread. I have just purchased a 2009 RX350 Sports Luxury and so far I love it. I don't find it lacking in power at all, but I think the fuel consumption will be a bit higher than I am used to. Haven't driven it enough yet to know for sure, though.