New Front Pads & Rotors

marvin

Anyone tried using RDA rotors with EBC red pads on their IS-F ? cus its so cheap ! Rotor + pads package for abt $500..... is it any good ?!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110660102137?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks

^ I've used slotted RDA rotors on my 180SX for track duties and have no complaints, combined with a set of Project Mu Club Racer pads the performance and longevity have been good. If you can get equivalent or better performance to OEM out of your set up that sounds like pretty good value.

For the IS-F I found a set of new OEM front rotors for $350.00 and will be using Project Mu NS 400 pads which were $270.00

• 4 weeks later...

I found the OEM rotors and pads to be good for the road & track. There only down side is they make a lot of dust, and after a track day they are a little noisy. I replaced mine a few years ago with "Project-Mu" B-Spec pads, they feel better than OEM pads, make a lot less dust, and are quite. For the track I have another set of OEM rotors and "Project-Mu" Type HC+ pads, & found them to be very good. They make more dust, & a little bit of noise, but that's ok for the track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Im a new owner of a 2010 isf, but noticed the brakes to be squeeling alot. Sydney dealership quoted a replacement cost of $2500up . Are there any other options , if not the price atleast the squeeling noise. Many thanks.

I had the same problems when I got my F. I ended up ordering Stoptech pads (Car Mods Australia) and a new set of rotors (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330698791783?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and that solved all my problems. I installed it all myself, it's easy enough and there is a good video on youtube showing how to do it. If you are not inclined to do it yourself, any workshop can do this, it doesn't have to be Lexus. I know a few others in this post have tried other combination of pads and rotors and Project Mu seem to be a popular choice. End of the day just go with what you think is right but I can certainly vouch for Stoptech pads reducing noise and providing very similar performance to OEM.

I think all up front rotors and new pads all round cost me $800 plus my time to install. New rear rotors would probably add another $300. I would think a workshop shouldn't be charging you more than $300-$400 to install so all up you could be in for $1500. Decent saving off the $2500 quote!!

Isf457 Welcome and congrats on your purchase. This is as you have probably seen a common issue with the brakes. I have been down the path with aftermarket setups on my 2008 and they were quite good but never as good as OEM. I recently upgraded to a 2011 and the noise is gradually coming back on the new OEM only after a 1000km. The noise is what you pay for outstanding brakes. Mind you if you don't plan to track the car you will probably not notice the difference of the aftermarket setup. My only issue was with the initial bite and a little bit of fade after a few sessions on the track but nothing serious though it was enough to compromise lap times. There are plenty of options out there. I would not recommend installing yourself just to be on the safe side after all this is one of the most important safety parts on the car. Try to call up Lexus of Chatswood they do offer aftermarket brakes and installation.

The previous owner of my car had a cheap set of pads front and rear and they were squealing like crazy haha. I put a set of project Mu pads front and rear and got the discs machined at work. Since then the squeal has gone, the pedal feel is amazing and it stops much quiker now.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys for your response. Been busy recently and i dont know why? I did contact Chatswood lexus and the offered me a project Mu front rotor and pad setup. I got them changed today and i glad to say no noise at the moment. Braking and grip is much gradual but not as sharp as the OEMs. The front rotor and pads were replaced plus labor at $1375. Happy cruising guys.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I asked from Lexus @ blackburn whether they do aftermarket rotor & pad swap they straightway said no and mentioned they only install qulaity original stuff. Told me not to use other brands for this car :)

Also recomended me the tires from them for $1880 for Pirelli P Zeros

Don't be fooled by overpriced OEM stuff. While I agree OEM is optimal we've had much success with after market brands especially on the track. My Lexus dealer do sell after market and installs whatever I fancy but I still ask for their advice and only go ahead if they approve. Also for that kind of money you can get the much better Michelin Cup 2 tires nothing stick like those bad boys I shaved off 2 sec per lap using them.

I've got Project Mu rotors & NS400 pads all round. They were initially a bit noisy, but after some mileage quietened down (completely). The NS400 pads certainly aren't as bitey as OEM pads, but I don't mind trading that for the dramatic reduction in brake dust.

Yes true. I asked the guy their for the recomendation but got that reply. So they definetly not support here in melborune I think unless any other dealer around.

Well i do not track my car its a daily driver used to be now weekender so I dont think i require insanely expensive stuff but you might consider good tires.

For the rotors and pads i might go with above setup project mu and pads. do anyone know good place to install them in melbourne SE?

Project MU did not work for me that well they were nearly as noisy as OEM and fade on the track however the street/racing StopTech worked flawlessly on and off track great performance and no noise at all.

^How was the brake dust on the Stoptech pads? As bitey as OEM?

I wouldn't expect the Project Mu NS400's to be magic. With brake pads, nothing really comes for free. You always sacrifice a bit of something, to gain elsewhere. I'd bet the StopTech pads emit more brake dust than the NS400's.

Next time round, if I could find something more bitey, but still emits less brake dust than OEM, I'd give it a go.

Dust was minimal I recall, they lack a tiny bit of initial bite but progress well, no issues with them on the track no fade at all.

None of them are as effective as OEM but the price gap just not worth going factory.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

very new to the forum. 

im in search for new rotors and brakes pad for the ISF 2010.

i came across some relatively alright pricing on OEM brembos for roughly $700 shipped. Can anyone here vouch this product? im worried that these are fake 'made in china' ebay ones. Going direct to dealerships may cost wayyy more....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111814725023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

another question, will OEM rotors hold up with project mu NS400??

Got my rotors from here 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lexus-F-08-14-Two-Front-Two-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotors-Brembo-OEM-/351181119370?hash=item51c4069f8a 

similar price. its legit item for sure. 

Project MU NS400 will rotor will hold up fine, in fact you will like it over brembo pads cus virtually no brake dust... but you do loses a little bit of the bite compare to Brembo oem pads. but more than fine on normal roads, without the black rim every day. 

17 hours ago, tengleo2 said:

Got my rotors from here 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lexus-F-08-14-Two-Front-Two-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotors-Brembo-OEM-/351181119370?hash=item51c4069f8a 

similar price. its legit item for sure. 

Project MU NS400 will rotor will hold up fine, in fact you will like it over brembo pads cus virtually no brake dust... but you do loses a little bit of the bite compare to Brembo oem pads. but more than fine on normal roads, without the black rim every day. 

Thanks, will be going for these and the NS400s into the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a complete set of front and rear OEM-spec crossdrilled rotors from GSL Rallysport for $380 delivered

Put a set of Project Mu B Spec pads in and the brakes are better than factory plus far less dust, win-win :)