New Front Pads & Rotors

marvin

So after 111,000 km it was time to replace my rotors. 

Looked at OEM but price was crazy high, I think + $4,000.00 for F&R rotors and pads. 

Ended up going DBA T3 4000 series (would have done 5000 series but don't offer). Match with a set of project Mu street pads (daily driver not track car) and so far so good. 

All  up installed (because I'm lazy) $1,500.00 

It's that time in the service history... to replace the rotors... 52,000 kms and first replacement - apparently I don't use the brakes in corners that much :)

BTW, why are the dealers so noncompetitive in Brake pricing and even tyres for that matter. Dealer quoted front brakes (rotors+pads) for $2796.

What's the deal here - they not interested in providing replacements for these parts so just put a ridiculous charge on it? 

Thinking of going to brakenetics + stoptech pads - as ISFBloke... 

Anyone interested in a group buy - Melbourne? 

4 hours ago, BCHLER said:

Guys don't pay retail. I paid $2150 front and rear OEM rotors + pads INCLUdING installation.

Some details please... 

Bchler no idea how you are getting those prices for OEM parts and labour, seeing as I was quoted double and did ask for their best price or going elsewhere. 

Guess the service manager is so kind to me after all. Lol

Spec, if you are down south east in Melbourne , try Johnny at OTR they were pretty good to me for a walk up. 

In the end car is out of warranty but if OEM pricing was as bchler said I would go OEM 

I had them recently replaced on my new ISF before I picked it up, all up was about 4.2k.

But they squeal a ridiculous amount and it's annoying me to no end every time I apply the brake softly to the lights. 

Don't think it's worth it for me to get aftermarket brakes until the new ones wear out.

It also seems like the more I drive it, the squeakier it gets and it's less squeaky when I first start up the car and drive it the first 5 minutes.

It also seems like it squeaks less after a clean... 

At the moment my new combo does not squeal at all. 

Mind you I have gone for a more street friendly pad, rather than track orientated. 

It will be interesting to see how much dust they produce. 

I am happy camper early in the piece 

Check out bell Lexus on eBay guys. All OEM all good. Replacing the rotors and pads on all 4 corners - 2hrs labour (1hr with 2 guys working on it)

it will come in 2 seperate shipments but still that cheap. They sell the brakes as a combo pack ie Rear rotors and pads as a set

It will squeek on light braking for the first 200km but you'll be sweet afterwards. The kit comes with Brembo anti squeel goo - liquid gold!!!

Yeh I think I'll need to take mine back to Lexus to have the rear brakes checked out, it squeals to no tomorrow, and it also seems like the first 5-10 minutes of driving is fine, then anything after that it starts squealing more and more which is weird - as people have claimed that once it's warmed up, it's supposed to squeal LESS. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I got original Lexus parts from the US. Front Rotors + Pads + Shipping all up for just over a $1,000 (arrived in just under 2 weeks - DHL) + $231 for fitting from Toyota service. 

Much better than the 2.8K the dealer quoted - bloody joke... 

• Like 1

I used the Protex Rotors and found no noticeable difference between them and stock. But be aware that the cross drilling in not handed. Its the same on both sides.

• 4 months later...

Old thread i know but after getting a service, ive been advised im due for new front pads and rotors.  Based on a few suggestions in this thread and others ive read, the Stoptech pads will suit me although was looking at Project Mu NS400.  About $290 cheapest i can find for the Stoptech pads

Besides Ebay, does anyone know of an Aussie seller that sells these cheap.

Still undecided about the rotors, any suggestions for local sellers.  I found these on Ebay but seems quite cheap, am i missing something why it wouldnt suit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151862993879?item=151862993879&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Hey check this place out as they have nearly all the brands to choose from. And Aussie site too ( Brisbane ) 

http://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/catalogsearch/result/?q=vehicle&make=Lexus&model=IS&generation=XE20%2B%282005-2013%29&submodel=IS%20F

Check out the QFM range DB1845QFM/HPX low dust, quite & heat range up to 550c. You can call QFM also as they are on the Gold Coast.

I`m nearly due for fronts on mine so I`ll more than likely go with QFM/HPX and if my rotors can not be scimmed and are screwed will go for  DBA42759S | DBA 4000 Series T3 Slotted Brake Rotor

Cheers guys.  Must admit, the Brakesdirect site seems quite cheap for both Rotors and pads.  Project Mu's and DBA 4000 slotted for just over $500 is alot better than what i was expecting especially when compared to Dealer prices which is excessive.

• 3 weeks later...

The forums have been extra quiet lately lol.  Well as an FYI for anyone else in the same position.  Need new front pads and rotors which i ordered from Brakesdirect (thanks Peterkay for the tip).

They arent cross drilled like the OEM brembos but got DBA slotted rotors with Proj Mu pads etc for about $570 in parts.  Ill source a local guy near me to fit them for me.

Called Lexus Parramatta for a quote to supply and fit and was told $2680 and $100 for a shim kit if required.

So an obvious big difference in price.  Of course some dont mind aftermarket like me, some will only want to stick to OEM and Lexus working on their cars, to each their own but just thought id share the price differences.

It has been quiet.. Thanks for reminding me to post this up!

So i installed some NS400 Project Mu pads all corners of the ISF, and so far there is minimal brake dust NO SQUEAL thank Christ..  and am pretty impressed actually. I haven't noticed much if any brake feel difference, but then again i was driving around with racing pads for a few weeks prior which were a bloody nightmare off the track, so anything would be an improvement.

But on a serious note, for a road use / spirited driving use, they are a fantastic pad which was around $375 for all corners delivered, direct from the manufacturer website, in 1 day. Pretty impressive.

Hey thats great news.  Nothing is worse than squealing brakes with excessive dust.  My black gloss wheels always look matt because of it lol.  Yeah i got those pads (front only) for about $160.  Also got front rotors DBA 4000 T3 Slotted for just under $400.  

Only drama has been i got the pads very quick but rotors on back order.  They advised ill hopefully get them just before Xmas so then ill get them fitted same time.  

Not sure if ill need a new shim kit or do you just use what was already fitted???

BLK ISF, that’s a good price for Project Mu NS400 front pads.  I like quiet & low dust pads for the street,  I hate dirty mags.  Shim kit, you should be ok, see what your mechanic says.

Sparky, what type of track pads were you using, and how were they.  track pads are hard to live with on the street,  noisy and so dusty.

I was using Caro Tech pads, not 100% sure on which pads they are.. 

Yes they are a bloody nightmare on the street haha, sounds like they are rubbing steel onto the discs, and squealing like a stuck pig. People were constantly looking around as to wtf was going on ha!

56 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I was using Caro Tech pads, not 100% sure on which pads they are.. 

Yes they are a bloody nightmare on the street haha, sounds like they are rubbing steel onto the discs, and squealing like a stuck pig. People were constantly looking around as to wtf was going on ha!

Sounds like my OEM brembo brakes lol...

Have still done it after almost 6000Kms

Think I may need to take a road trip where I am able to constantly brake from high speeds consecutively to maybe fix it. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone,

I'm due for brakes again but this time I'll be replacing all pads and rotors from Brakes direct again. I've just ordered DBA T3 slotted rotors and remsa pads for all 4 corners for around $950 delivered.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the caliper bolt? Not sure if I missed it in the forum.

Cheers,