New Front Pads & Rotors

marvin

8 hours ago, bazzle said:

Sometimes a small dab of moly grease on shims and pins helps.

Thanks for bazzle , I’ve just taken the pads off and done exactly that , gave them a good clean then greased them up will see how that goes . Cheers 

• 1 month later...

I just removed my (approx 3000-4000km old) Winmax W1 (front) and W2 (rear) pads due to constant loud and frustrating high pitch squealing when slowing down using light (normal) braking pressure. The squeal tends to come and go but my god it drives me insane. I have tried basically everything to shut these pads up (swapped sides / cleaned and regreased shims / running some sandpaper over them / grinded a chamfer into the front pads etc (as they didnt have one etc etc) but nothing worked. The pads were bedded in when first fitted and I have even tried re-bedding them in several more times to try and stop the noise to no avail.

FYI when I fitted the Winmax pads I also fitted brand new DBA X Gold (slotted and cross drilled) rotors.

Was going to try either Hawk Ceramic or Project Mu NS400 but came across these Bremtec Euroline ceramic pads which looked promising and were considerably cheaper than both the Hawk or Project Mu so have decided to try these http://bremtec.com.au/product-range/brake-pads/ (I got the Euroline version which have the yellow box). These pads are chamfered (Winmax were not) and also include new shims (Winmax did not) so lets see how they go. I will update in about a months time after I have put some km’s on them.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Slopshua said:

Has anyone had any experience with RDA brake rotors? I have a set of dimpled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads that I’ll consider fitting at some point. 

https://www.empoweredautoparts.com.au/dimpled-slotted-lexus-is-f-5.0l-v8-use20r-10-2008

RDA disks will be perfectly fine for a street driven ISF - so if they fit your budget go for them. 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, _ISF said:

I just removed my (approx 3000-4000km old) Winmax W1 (front) and W2 (rear) pads due to constant loud and frustrating high pitch squealing when slowing down using light (normal) braking pressure. The squeal tends to come and go but my god it drives me insane. I have tried basically everything to shut these pads up (swapped sides / cleaned and regreased shims / running some sandpaper over them / grinded a chamfer into the front pads etc (as they didnt have one etc etc) but nothing worked. The pads were bedded in when first fitted and I have even tried re-bedding them in several more times to try and stop the noise to no avail.

FYI when I fitted the Winmax pads I also fitted brand new DBA X Gold (slotted and cross drilled) rotors.

Was going to try either Hawk Ceramic or Project Mu NS400 but came across these Bremtec Euroline ceramic pads which looked promising and were considerably cheaper than both the Hawk or Project Mu so have decided to try these http://bremtec.com.au/product-range/brake-pads/ (I got the Euroline version which have the yellow box). These pads are chamfered (Winmax were not) and also include new shims (Winmax did not) so lets see how they go. I will update in about a months time after I have put some km’s on them.

Just an update after a good 6 weeks or so with these Bremtec pads fitted. Absolutely no noise/squeaks what so ever which i am very happy about. I think they emit a bit more dust than my previously Winmax W1 pads but nothing worth complaining about as both are better than the factory pads which were super dusty. No noticeable difference what so ever in street driving so im a happy chappy - i wish i had bought these initially as they are working well and were very well priced.

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve had RR Racing 2 piece front rotors fitted, & Project Mu RC 09 pads all round.   Looking forward to testing them at the track next week.  Took a couple of pictures with the mobile phone on the way home.

P1260724.thumb.jpg.4d9ac13cc4e7c121493c39e2baad000b.jpg

VP_20180614_15_02_39.thumb.jpg.117ab5970e1101beee7970931045977c.jpg

WP_20180614_15_01_56.thumb.jpg.ff7975c9250fbc141350a78b52643bf4.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, _ISF said:

Just an update after a good 6 weeks or so with these Bremtec pads fitted. Absolutely no noise/squeaks what so ever which i am very happy about. I think they emit a bit more dust than my previously Winmax W1 pads but nothing worth complaining about as both are better than the factory pads which were super dusty. No noticeable difference what so ever in street driving so im a happy chappy - i wish i had bought these initially as they are working well and were very well priced.

How much were the pads ? as ill be needing some in the next few months

14 hours ago, Gen03 said:

How much were the pads ? as ill be needing some in the next few months

Fronts were $121 incl postage

Rears were $74 incl postage

Bremtec Euroline Pads (search for Bremtec Lexus ISF on ebay and you will find them)

Overall very happy with them, they are noise-free, and for the price i was surprised how nicely they were packaged and included shims etc.

4 hours ago, _ISF said:

Fronts were $121 incl postage

Rears were $74 incl postage

Bremtec Euroline Pads (search for Bremtec Lexus ISF on ebay and you will find them)

Overall very happy with them, they are noise-free, and for the price i was surprised how nicely they were packaged and included shims etc.

Wow that's cheap .thanks

On 6/14/2018 at 4:50 PM, LTuned said:

I’ve had RR Racing 2 piece front rotors fitted, & Project Mu RC 09 pads all round.   Looking forward to testing them at the track next week.  Took a couple of pictures with the mobile phone on the way home.

P1260724.thumb.jpg.4d9ac13cc4e7c121493c39e2baad000b.jpg

VP_20180614_15_02_39.thumb.jpg.117ab5970e1101beee7970931045977c.jpg

WP_20180614_15_01_56.thumb.jpg.ff7975c9250fbc141350a78b52643bf4.jpg

Hi John,

Those two piece rotors look awesome!

I imagine you will be able to more consecutive laps before requiring a cool down lap ... which in turn will yield more hot laps per session!

I also expect the notably lower rotor temps will extend pad time as well!

Great choice of tyre in the Michelin Cup 2’s for the track!

Have fun this week and look forward to hearing how these new two piece rotors go.

PS: Your car looks immaculate as always!

Regards, 

Matthew

The RR 2 piece rotors were excellent and didn’t fade in each run on the track.   to me they felt about the same as the Lexus rotors with the same track pads, but the RR 2 piece rotors have better cooling, & will take longer to fade.

I knew my front tyres were getting low, but I thought they would last the day.  sadly after the first run after lunch, I was checking the tyre pressures, (46psi hot) & I had worn through to the belts.  It’s time for new front track tyres.

WP_20180621_14_01_34.thumb.jpg.834140d2a34ddb847c7054db44f6ac25.jpg

Hi John,

My god! You have almost driven the tyres off the wheels!

I actually had a Michelin Pilot Super Sport 3 do that too me as well ... so completely different tyre, but exactly the same outcome with the rubber on the tyre literally being peeled off the outer edge and all being deposited into the centre of the tyre ... I also had worn it down to the cords / belts before I noticed too!

I also always run 40 to 44psi ... and the day this happened the track wasn’t that hot, so in my case I didn’t think it was due to overheating tyres but a soft sidewall ... since moving to a ‘street’ semi-slick (200 UTQG) though and their stiffer sidewall I haven’t encountered that problem ... and I have given it a really good go!

I think the AD08R’s have a stiffer sidewall than the Cup 2’s ... same UTQG rating of 180 ... or you could make the move to R Comp tyres and further capitalise on some of those mods you have ... I am pretty sure you would find the Toyo R888R & Nitto 01’s (100 UTQG) are less expensive than the Cup 2’s ... and as you know you can still drive them to and from the track ... but they will probably last only half as long on the track ... I have just changed over to the Nitto 01’s and are looking forward to taking them to SMSP ASAP! ... There are of course stickier R Comps out there like the Yoko A050 (in varying R compounds) but they are notably more expensive too.

If you interested I thought this Track Tyre review was pretty good ... it doesn’t have the Cup 2’s in it though;

http://trackdays.ie/track-day-tyres/

Coincidentally I was actually at Lexus Service today, as I just changing over my track pads and realised I had lost my lock nut! Chris helped me out with their ‘master set’ and I fitted a new set of lock nuts. I asked how it went yesterday and whether you were there ... he mentioned that it dried up by about mid-morning and that you had completely used up your Cup 2’s!

Trust you had a great day and glad to hear the new two piece rotors went really well. I am sure you will notice your brake pad life will also be notably extended with the lower rotors temps.

Regards,

Matthew

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've just bought these off eBay from the states. Approx AUD840 including freight and import duty. I think I saw this seller referred to in a You Tube video on changing front rotors and pads.

I suppose I'll find out if they're genuine Brembos when I get them due here 2/10. Not sure the pads are gone yet so they may not need to be changed over at the service in a few weeks at Chatswood Lexus, but the front rotors are well lipped.

Maybe I will go with Project mu NS400 pads as this thread seems to rate them well.

I hope they are genuine, some cheap knock offs around. DBA make some nice rotors and a few other brands protex etc NS400 ARE A GOOD PAD FOR THE STREET AND LIGHT TRACK WORK cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

FYI for anyone that's currently look for replacement rotors.

Ebay is currently having a 15% off sale on auto parts. Use the code PAUTO15. promo ends on 30th june

I was about to pick up a full set of DBA T3 for $679 delivered from Sparesbox_auto

These are usually around $800~ a set

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, koop21 said:

Ebay is currently having a 15% off sale on auto parts. Use the code PAUTO15. promo ends on 30th june

I was about to pick up a full set of DBA T3 for $679 delivered from Sparesbox_auto

Thanks for letting us know ... just fitted a new set front and rear after my Track Day last month ... might buy a spare set of fronts ... but the rears last so much longer.

5 hours ago, koop21 said:

Damn that is a good price.  I got my T3's from Brakes Direct at $194 each, $397 for the pair.  

When you look at Ebay, on the listings it still shows $398 until you click on it and then it shows the extra 15% at $338 with the code so nice find :-).  At a glance its easy to miss the discount, wish they had it on the thumbnail listings vs when you click onto it.

8 hours ago, Gen03 said:

I think your seeing price jacking by sparebox_auto at this point.

They were originally listed at $401 before the jacking to $5xx.

So you're right, doing a split order at this point would be better off but no discount from brakes direct.

• 1 month later...

Just put in my Project Mu NS400's all round with new DBA T3 4000 Series slotted rotors on the front. 0 squeal whatsoever and they feel perfectly fine after a day. Should be great after they've fully settled in, will report back and update once that happens.