Hi All,

Ive read a few threads on oil comsumption in is250's

Model : is250 2006

klms - 138,000 klms

i get the car serviced every 10,000klms instead of every 15,000klms at ulta tune who have serviced a few cars of mine and ive been very happy with them

which has been alright except when i went over 100,000klms and ive had to top up the oil about 7000 - 8000 klms which im fine with

got the car serviced at 131,000 and i had to top up at 136,000 and now the oil light come up again at 138,000

i just topped up with caltex 10-30w

after the last service i told the machanic that it was using a bit of oil and he suggested we use 10-40w

- what do you guys recommend i do? and what oil to use im more then happy to purchase the oil my self and get the machnic to do the servicing

thanks in advance

What oil are they currently using in it? Brand, specs etc? These engine are very particular about oil, especially once they've got a few KM under their belt. I would not use 10W40.

A thick 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic would be my first choice. Look for 30 weight that meets VW 502/505 or VW 504/507 failing that BMW LL-01 specifications. If you must use a 40 weight then I look at 5W40 or 0W40 that meets BMW LL-01 spec. Mobil1 & Shell Helux Ultra should be the easiest to find. Ideally you should track down some Motul 8100 X-clean. I think Autobarn sell it. Don't waste you money on semi synthetic or inferior brands like Penrite, Nulon, Valvoline, Castrol etc

• Like 1

Yes, Chris, there's a few recent discussions on oil consumption, including this one: http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/12377-allianz-extended-warranty/?p=44920

I'm not an expert, but this the aforementioned thread details why I have an aversion to Mobil 1 in an IS 250.

But before we further discuss the merits of various oils, consider these points first:

• You say you are using Caltex 10W-30. That means you are probably using Havoline Premium Plus. That particular oil comes in a 5-litre pack. But we know that the IS 250 engine uses around 6 litres (give or take a bit, depending on whether you replace the filter). So if you are draining the oil and only replacing it with 5 litres of oil, you'll get a low oil warning rather soon. So the first question is, are you using the right amount of oil?
  • The IS 250 engine suffers from carbon buildup. If higher oil consumption is only a recent observation, then perhaps carbon buildup over a long period of time has only now accumulated to a point where it is causing higher oil consumption. Have you considered a carbon cleaning service? (Okay, that might be a little more expensive than just putting up with more oil top-ups, but may be worth it if you believe you have other issues, such as an apparent lack of power.)

ill have to ask autotune about the amount of oil and type

- iva had the carbon build up cleaned about 20000 klm ago

- im going to get the motul its the same oil i used to use in my rexy

What oil are they currently using in it? Brand, specs etc? These engine are very particular about oil, especially once they've got a few KM under their belt. I would not use 10W40.

A thick 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic would be my first choice. Look for 30 weight that meets VW 502/505 or VW 504/507 failing that BMW LL-01 specifications. If you must use a 40 weight then I look at 5W40 or 0W40 that meets BMW LL-01 spec. Mobil1 & Shell Helux Ultra should be the easiest to find. Ideally you should track down some Motul 8100 X-clean. I think Autobarn sell it. Don't waste you money on semi synthetic or inferior brands like Penrite, Nulon, Valvoline, Castrol etc

to bad you live in nz id buy oil straight away from you

• The IS 250 engine suffers from carbon buildup.

To help reduce this carbon build up in direct injection motors I recommend you use a low ash oil, i.e one with an C3 specificastion. Thats basically what the BMW & VW specifications I mentioned earlier are based on.

Toyota/Lexus also do an injector cleaner specifically designed for their direct injection engines. Part number is 08813-00830. I'd recommend using a bottle at least once a year

I swear by Castrol Edge. Taken apart previous Toyota motors (not Lexus IS related) & the bearings, internals etc have always been cared for. I have a few cars (Legnum, FD3S, built 300+rwkw MR2 turbo, IS250) so just keep a spare batch of Edge 10/60 which I use for all. Some people are scared of the thickness, but I've had no issues.