My car has done over 140000km and the idle shakes a tiny little bit, is it necessary to get a bottle of Toyota/Lexus injector cleaner to pouring into the tank? Or some people said those things are completely useless, I thought since it is genuine Toyota, it can't do much damage to the engine right ?

If dealer charges $150 for it, is it worth to doing it since I read in this forum that some owner start to having troubles with their idle speed reading after upper engine clean

well you can just use subaru upper engine cleaner (buy it from a subaru dealer or ebay)

first thing ill do is that and then move on to the injectors

injector cleaning cost alot and generally dont foul up that easily on a late model car

• Like 1

what else u think I should do with a 140000km engine ? I don't have full service log book for it so I got no clue what should be done to it

well if your unsure maybe you can try what i usually do when i buy a used car

1. Full engine flush

2. Brake fluid flush

3. Radiator flush

4. LSD/Gearbox oil flush

5. Throttle body clean

6. Upper engine clean for carbon build up (for Direct inejction cars)

I haven't done mine to the Mark X yet (as its not here) but I've done it on a number of other cars (the 205, ek civic, wrx, Chaser and more)

Depending on how easy it is to remove things try to get into the plenum as much as possible (open or remove the throttle body) and spray a heap of the stuff in there. Then put it back together and start the car. It will struggle to start but get there. Then after it idles smooth and stops smoking (a couple of minutes) take off a useless vac line, put the little plastic tube into the vac line nipple and fire in some goodness whilst the engine is running. Expect it to run *BLEEP*, use the throttle to keep the revs up and empty the can.

Expect a metric buttload of smoke if it's done a few kms, and don't breathe that *BLEEP* in.

Biggest smoker I've had was probably the Chaser. It had done 100 000kms, and being turbo was a little more carbon'd up in the plenum.

• 2 weeks later...

other members who have done it may chime it

but its pretty simple

but you need another mate to help u

So you reckon Subaru upper engine cleaner is the one I should go for right ? Do I need to do the injector cleaning together OR I just oil changed my car recently and does it matter if I do it now or wait til next service, should I replace the spark plugs too (city lexus melbourne have changed them at 90k service)

it is recomended that you change your engine oil after the upper engine cleaner

yes the subaru upper engine cleaner is the one you should go for

I have poured toyota injector cleaner into my near empty fuel tank then filled up with RON98, drove 610km already but don't feel much difference at all. The idle stil fluctuate between 500-700 rpm, is this consider to be normal ( means the injector is clean )OR I really do need a De-Carbon to be done?

• 3 weeks later...

I put the Subaru Cleaner into one of the vacuum line today and let it run for 10 min, I didn't get much smoke at all from the exhaust and the engine start to shake a lot more now, is it normal? The engine was OK before but after the upper engine cleaner it just got worse, what could went wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

On badly carboned up engiens you may need to use a second bottle of genuine Toyota D4 injector cleaner (in another full tank). No need to change the oil after using the injector cleaner only after using upper cylinder & throttle body cleaner. I would avoid using throttle body cleaner on a running engine, best to remove the throttle body to clean it. Heard a few horry stories from people using it especially on older/high mileage cars.

You guys really should be running a mid saps oil, ACEA C3 specd with your direct injection motors. It's specifily designed to help reduce carbon build up.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it 3-4 weeks ago, After the Subaru upper engine cleaner, I rev it to the redline about 10 seconds frequently on the freeway. But it still drops to 500rpm sometimes, should I change spark plugs? I discovered that every time I turn on the head light the idle goes back to 700.