Whilst travelling between 85 - 95 k/h at approx 1200 rpm the vehicle developed a vibration and increase in noise within the car. At first i thought it was the road surface on the freeway but after a few kilometers it was evident this was not the case. The vibration and noise seem to disappear if you accelerate

or slow down. After some research on the UK is 300h club this appears to be a common problem with this vehicle.

Does any one have the same issue and have you had it resolved?

Is the vibration from the steering column ? Can you feel it on the steering wheel ? If so, it's probably wheel balance &/or alignment.

Hi Spec it definitely is not the tyres or balance. My brothers a mechanic and even he is at a loss. The vibration is like driving on a coarse road and the sound actually is like a booming sound and it only happens between the revs of 1200 to 1300 and a speed between 85 and 90. Once you vary the revs it goes away and when you hit that mark again it comes back. Doing more research it turns

out even one of the complaints on the UK site is from a retired mechanical engineer from Australia who is having the same issues and he thinks there is a manufacturing issue. This has also stumped the Lexus people in One Scandinavian country. Anyway it is not an issue day to day driving but I will head tolocal dealer to talk to them and see what they come up with.

Latest update.

Went to Lexus dealer and the term given to me for the vibration is RESONANCE. Lexus have had somebody else with this issue a while ago. I will be contacted for an explanation when they retrieve info.

Stay tuned if you have an IS 300h and experiencing RESONANCE.

Latest update.

Went to Lexus dealer and the term given to me for the vibration is RESONANCE. Lexus have had somebody else with this issue a while ago. I will be contacted for an explanation when they retrieve info.

Stay tuned if you have an IS 300h and experiencing RESONANCE.

Hmm, very interesting... Usually with a resonance issue, you'd have to resort to

- changing either the frequency which causes the issue (Bit difficult as the parts probably need to operate at the frequency)

- add dampening

- Change the mass of the part that's causing the vibration, or the part that's affected by resonance.

Would be interesting to know what Lexus do about this.

Have they told you which part(s) are in resonance ?

Not as yet. I am hoping to get more info ASAP. But Resonance did appear on the Lexus IS300h owners club in the UK. A lot of people seem to be having this issue in europe, one owner went back to Lexus and the technician drove his is300h and then took a demonstrator is300h from the showroom and both cars had the resonance. I think more vehicles are exposed to the resonance in the UK because most purchases are company vehicles and tend to drive on freeways which allow them to hit between 85 and 95 k/h which exposes the issue. Living in Sydney 95% of my driving is traffic and below 70 k/h so I have experienced it twice only. Might go and test it over the weekend and get exact revs and speeds.

Keep you posted.

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested i had confirmation there is no fix for the resonance so whoever is interested in this model make sure you test drive at the pre mentioned speed and revs.

Hi WOG,the issue is probably due to the engine passed the shakes to the exhaust and thus resonance and you feel vabriation and noise. If I were you, I would:

* lift the car up and and see if the exhuast pipe is shaking badly at around 1200 rmp, if so , move to step 2

*take the exhaust pipe off and see if there is any vabriation at the certain speed, you will hear increased exhaust sound but if the vabriation is gone, that means you are on the right track.

* do some fix to the exhaust pipe, someone has solved this by weld a soft pipe to connect the exhaust (so engine vibration wont pass to the exhaust pipe) or you might add a "U"ring to fix the exhaust to the chassis

just my 2 cents, better get Lexus to check it for you

• 1 year later...

For those interested I finally had a fix for the vibration issues. A damper has been fitted to the rear end this combined with a ECU upgrade has all but eliminated the issue.