R C 350

dis-lex-sic

They only had the RC-F at Lexus of Brisbane. It looks amazing, even better in the flesh. Going back in about 2-3 weeks to look at the normal RC. I'm hoping to trade my A5 in and 'formally' become a member of this Club. ;)

Driveaway pricing for the 350 F-Sport in QLD is $81,651. Really good value!

Waiting for Sutherland Lexus to get a RC 350 Luxury in Titanium and Moonstone/Black before I make up my mind.

How hard is it to order different wheels?

I should chase up my old soccer buddy (goal keeper) Sean Hanley, (now MD Lexus Aust) to do me a good deal.

The RC 350 is now officially available, with specifications and pricing announced today.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-lexus-rc-coupe-undercuts-rivals-20141125-11tlyg.html

For just a small amount more than the equivalent IS350 grade, there's a lot of added features, including:

• Luxury: Power steering column adjustment, LED headlamps, touchpad-based Lexus Remote Touch, parking sensors, 18" wheels (IS Luxury has 17"), electrochromatic mirrors
  • F Sport: Dynamic rear steering, high-grade LED headlamps, 19" wheels (IS F Sport has 18"), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Change Alert (similar to Blind Spot Monitor, but a smarter system that detects vehicles coming from behind), touchpad-based Lexus Remote Touch
  • Sports Luxury: As for F Sport, plus semi-aniline leather, 17-speaker Mark Levinson sound system (IS SL has 15 speakers), shimamoku wood interior (Google it if you haven't heard of it before!)

On paper (so to speak), it certainly looks like a winner.

Took a Titanium RC 350 F Sport for a drive today. went to Parramatta and back to Chatswood, I went the long way. It was a very nice drive. They will sell lots of these.

post-7988-0-96944500-1417410378_thumb.jp

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but I'm very tempted to get an F Sport. I just decide on the colour combination. I think I've narrowed it down to Titanium or White Nova with rose or moonstone interior. I initially liked the black, but I don't think it shows off the lines too well, based on the photos I've seen. A bit disappointed you have to pony up for the enhancement pack 2 just to get active cruise, which I have on the IS250 and couldn't live without.

Well, I dropped into Sydney City Lexus today and they had a black Sports Luxury (fully loaded, with a driveaway price just over $95k), a white F Sport and a blue F Sport. The blue one was out in the car park area and looked to be the one they use for test drives. The blue didn't do much for me, I'm afraid. It looks beautiful in the showroom but I think the novelty would wear off quickly and to be honest, the RC 350 is not exactly a rocket ship deserving of a muscle car paint job. However, both the black and white models were very impressive. I'd still love to see the titanium and silver models.

When I sat inside the F Sport, I was very pleasantly surprised (less so the Sports Luxury, with its fake wood and more conventional dash instrumentation). The build quality and choice of materials are a huge step up from my 2010 IS 250. No comparison, really. I can't wait to take one for a spin.

Surprisingly, I wasn't approached by a single salesperson the whole time I was there, although the very nice lady offered me a latte which I drank in the waiting area while I... well, waited. One guy was sitting in his office, obviously attending to something much more important than selling cars. It was probably fortuitous, because I reckon I was 90% of the way to signing on the dotted line if anyone had put the paperwork in front of me. Oh well, I might go back in the new year and try again.

• 1 month later...

Hi, here's a photo of my Titanium/Dark Rose F sport enhancement pack 2, that I picked up about 3 weeks ago. The photo is at delivery. I had a choice of this or White Nova, but I felt the titanium suited the colouring and design of the F sport wheels and spindle grill treatment a bit better than the white - against which they stand out more starkly. All pure personal preference, though.

I like the active cruise control too, but a shame it is not all speed ACC like the GS450H, or the Germans.

post-8042-0-04885200-1420695116_thumb.jp

Hi, here's a photo of my Titanium/Dark Rose F sport enhancement pack 2, that I picked up about 3 weeks ago. The photo is at delivery. I had a choice of this or White Nova, but I felt the titanium suited the colouring and design of the F sport wheels and spindle grill treatment a bit better than the white - against which they stand out more starkly. All pure personal preference, though.

I like the active cruise control too, but a shame it is not all speed ACC like the GS450H, or the Germans.

Should be the 1st rc in the forum, congrats! :D

Thanks, 3ha0046. This is my summation of the car so far - posted this in new member intro, instead of the RC forum... Will post some more photos soon.

Clear impressions so far are of the supreme comfort, smoothness and quietness. Some of the best car seats I've experienced (and not so firm as the German seats), very smooth ride for 19's, best coarse chip road noise suppression I've experienced (the GS and LS must be supreme), and using the IS-C chassis for the mid section clearly pays off in a super solid feel to the whole car (and worth the consequences of the resultant weight penalty, IMO). Better driving position than the Germans (pedals not offset to the right), great steering, and the rear wheel steering is a U turn boon so far. Touchpad screen control works well and is fun to use, but not as intuitive as IDRIVE, and more eyes off the road is required. Mark Levinson audio also the best I've experienced, as is the tactile quality of how everything works in the cabin. Engine is a beauty, but does lack the urban speed responsiveness and economy of the turbo Germans. Miss the programmable preset buttons of the BMW. Needs a suspension drop (why is the front tyre clearance more than the rear clearance?), but that would compromise the lovely ride, no doubt. Could talk about a lot more. Cheers.....

Should add that the in-car tech is not as good as the Germans; nor the driver assistance technology. But just doesn't matter with a car that's this good to drive.

• Like 1

Hi TRC,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered an ultra white RC F-Sport with pack 1 and black interior, but I am seriously thinking of changing to the dark rose interior. Since you have one, what are your thoughts on it? Are you happy with it? It's not too light and gaudy? I still have time to modify my order as the car is on a waiting list and won't be built until March for an April delivery. If you could post a few pictures of the interior, I would be in your debt forever!

Hi Supratt. Congrats on your order. The Dark Rose is not too bright - unlike the shade of red used on the RCF red interior, which is brighter and therefore yes, a bit gaudy. The Dark Rose adds some real visual appeal to the interior by way of nicely judged contrasts to the rest of the (black) interior. I'll post some interior shots tomorrow. And white is the other colour which the rose interior would work well with. Am very happy with this choice, and very positive comment so far, confirms.

Hi TRC,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered an ultra white RC F-Sport with pack 1 and black interior, but I am seriously thinking of changing to the dark rose interior. Since you have one, what are your thoughts on it? Are you happy with it? It's not too light and gaudy? I still have time to modify my order as the car is on a waiting list and won't be built until March for an April delivery. If you could post a few pictures of the interior, I would be in your debt forever!

Hi Supratt. I attach some interior photos. Lexus judge the use of the contrast interior colour extremely well, IMO. The colour also highlights the seat detailing nicely, as opposed to same colour black.

If I had custom ordered like yourself, the other combo I would have given serious consideration to, would have been the red exterior with the moonstone interior.

Regards

post-8042-0-09038100-1420759629_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-60114800-1420759641_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-40296600-1420759667_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-29997000-1420759681_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-99289300-1420759694_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-09956600-1420759717_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-12059200-1420759733_thumb.jp

post-8042-0-29377500-1420759752_thumb.jp

• Like 1

TRC,

Thank you SO much for taking the trouble to post all those photos. Hopefully they will be of interest to other members as well. They have definitely helped me make up my mind and I will be changing my order to Ultra White with Dark Rose. The dealership actually has one of these on the way, arriving in about one week, but it has the Pack 2 instead of the Pack 1 and is a 2014 build and they want about $5k extra over mt custom build, which will be a 2015 build with Pack 1. The active cruise is the only feature of Pack 2 I would ever use (my current IS250 has it) but I'm not sure it's worth 5k. The extra time waiting for the custom build will also give me time to sell the IS250.

Again, congrats on your car. The combo of Titanium with Dark Rose looks amazing!