Hi Guys. Having an issue with my 2010 IS250 F Sport

On 2 occassions, in the morning (melbourne...reasonably cold) I start the car, then drive up my short but steep driveway onto the road, and the car stalls (auto)

One one occassion, tank was about half full, but I only filled up last night, and this morning it happened again

This never happened with our mazda or corolla.

Anyone have any ideas why ?

Thanks Andrew. Can you clarify what you mean by a carbon clean ? I was googling and found this post..is this the same thing you are referring too ? ie just using an fuel cleaner ?

=================

I first experienced this very same issue earlier this year, my Lexus mechanic advised this is a known problem and gave me a 250ml bottle of Lexus Injector Cleaner. The problem is now resolved and I have not noticed this issue since. He advised to add this every 3 months prior to filling up petrol. I suspect pouring Shell VPower or any high RON fuel and a heavy foot will also do the trick. Thats just my thought anyways. Hope this helps.

This is what the bottle says:

Part No. 08813-00840

"The LEXUS Genuine Injector Cleaner is a gasoline fuel additive formulated specifically for all LEXUS petroleum engines. It removes injector deposits and combustion chamber deposits, improving rough idle, hesitation and driveability"

Yeah injector cleaner, or any other carbon cleaner. The is250 is known for carbon build up which affects performance and makes the car rough idle/low rpm.
Lexus provides this service, or you can diy. I use subie upper engine cleaner and spray it in the intake inlet.

Thanks for that. The more I read, the more common this seems to be. I've seen written a few times to go into manual mode, put it in 2nd gear and redline it for about 5 seconds. (on top of using a fuel cleaner)

I should probably book it into lexus to investigate as well

Thanks for that. The more I read, the more common this seems to be. I've seen written a few times to go into manual mode, put it in 2nd gear and redline it for about 5 seconds. (on top of using a fuel cleaner)

I should probably book it into lexus to investigate as well

It would be worth checking with Lexus. Most IS 250 owners who report cold start issues have an MY06-MY08 model, with known issues with the direct injection design. So the published solutions may not apply to you.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem in winter. Carbon build up. Avoid short cold start & stops (ie to quickly move car in morning), let it idle for a bit & stretch it out with a few nice fully warmed up cycle drives. Carbon clean also helps too.

I had this problem in winter. Carbon build up. Avoid short cold start & stops (ie to quickly move car in morning), let it idle for a bit & stretch it out with a few nice fully warmed up cycle drives. Carbon clean also helps too.

Thanks MR2QIK. I think i've fixed it (for now anyway). While I think what you say is correct, I shouldn't have to do that. It really should just work under any condition. The mazda and toyota i've had over the last 10 years never had an issue. (Although the Vectra I had was known to stall ALL the time due to carbon build up)

You're right. I believe they do carbon cleans every service Stateside. I did it too for the last years I had my 250 & didn't have any problems. Actually drove nicer after carbon clean so I recommend, especially if you service yearly like I used to (avg 15k yearly).