2008-2009 Is-F Suspension

Mark78

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please go easy on me.

I am in the process of buying a ISF for a weekender, fun car. My first choice would be for, a 2010-2011, but I think the 2008-2009 would probably satisfy my needs without going to the greater expense. I can live without the LSD, but my question here for this forum is, is the suspension on the earlier IS-Fs as bad/hard as reported?

Is the suspension economically fixable or should I just spend the extra and buy the later models?

Hi Mark

I have a 2008 ISF. I had fitted oversize Pirelli tyres to it and the ride was harsh.

Recently I went back to standard size Toyo tyres and the car is transformed. Better handling and firm not harsh.

It is truely a luxury touring car that I use for my every day drive. And I have the RX350 for mild off road, and transporting the mother inlaw.

• Like 1

Hello Mark, I've had my early 2009 ISF since new, & found the suspension to be firm but never unpleasant, on secondary roads it's a little bit harsher. I've never wanted to change the suspension, and enjoy the way it handles, especially at the track where it is great. I agree that your tyre choice is important. if you are going to keep the standard width, try and keep the standard 40 series on the front, and 35 series on the back, going lower will make the ride harsher. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, & they are fantastic tyres.

The 2008 & early 2009 ISF still control rear wheel slip, by the rear brake callipers, and on the road you will probably not notice the difference. I have had the Lexus Torsen LSD fitted to my ISF, and it is much better for track driving.

You will enjoy the ISF, fantastic vehicle.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply these comments are leading me towards the 2008-2009. The Torsen diff expensive to purchase and fit?

Hi Mark, I replaced the whole diff & housing with a later model ISF Torsen LSD. I purchased it through Lexus, and Lexus fitted it for me. over $4000.oo fitted, that was a few years ago. call your local Lexus Service Centre for a fresh price. There are aftermarket LSD that are cheaper. but I wanted to keep it Lexus.

P.S. I still have my standard 2009 diff in my garage. I like to keep my old parts, and it's a good looking paper weight!!

• Like 1

I've had the 08 and the suspension was too hard even for me and I can take the rough ride, upgraded the coil-overs to KwV3 and it was MUCH better, since I've upgraded the whole car to a 2011 model and is day and night different, much more comfortable and civilized yet more stable around the track. I would spend the extra cash.

I am a bit like John I still have the old suspension hanging around as decoration but if anyone wants them I am happy to give them away (yes free). I also have an IS-F spare rear bumper with bits and pieces for sale.

• Like 1

I should also add its not just the suspension that you would benefit from the steering has also been re-calibrated it has a much better feel an response, turn-ins a re much more direct and controlled,steering geometry has also been tweaked to eliminate under-steer, navigation and electronic bits have been upgraded too, 2011 upward are on par with M3 performance wise if not better. I definitely noticed there is a whole different feel to the car after coming from the 08. Don't get me wrong the 08 is still a fantastic car especially now they are bargains but 2011 and up is what it always should have been. Sorry boys I don't mean to offend anyone I am just telling my own experience. I would not hesitate to get an 08 just for weekends though once the coilovers have been upgraded if you plan to track it you need the torsen diff and better steering.

• Like 1

Liking the features and price of the MY2010 at the moment, 2011 may be bit of a stretch. Bit hard to convince the financial manager to part with ~$70k+ for weekender/toy. We have a 200 series as our daily and tow vehicle for the caravan.

I thought I better stick up for the 2008, 2009 model ISF. yes the later model ISF did have minor tweaks to the suspension, & other minor bits, the biggest change was the diff. as firm as the early models are, it has great suspension for the track & having fun. most people change their suspension for coil overs, (ISF Bloke & Danny) if the later models suspension is so good why change it? I have only changed the headers, exhaust, a standard 2011 ISF Torsen LSD, and different front brake pads, everything else is stock 2009.

At the last Eastern Creek drive day in April, that I attended along with ISF Bloke, you advised me that you were doing 2:00, as your best lap on the GP circuit (correct me if I'm wrong) and Danny with his highly modified ISF "Darth Vader", you are quoting a time of 1:54.67 well for an almost stock 2009 ISF, I do a 1:55, I'm pretty happy with that, & I'm getting faster every time I go. next time I might be faster than Danny's. also ISF Bloke doesn't like the stereo in the later models.

Anyway all ISF are fantastic..........

• Like 1

Hi John,

What I said was I could not do one clean lap due to traffic so I could not test out the car the way I wanted to unfortunately. But what I gathered was that the M3 s that were a threat in the past did not seem to be anymore. My best was a 1:55 without headers in my old 08 so I was expecting better times but again due to constant traffic I had no chance to find out. The tweaks to the suspension were the major upgrades (near complete rework) and I confirm that and any reputable reviews will do as well just look it up.

Here is an example: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52006/2011-lexus-is-f-road-test-review-australia

"Suspension: The MY2011 IS F’s suspension revisions are comprehensive, and encompass everything from bushing stiffness to damper valving, camber angle and spring rates."

In reality you need to do a back to back test drive and it will be clear, that is what made me to upgrade and I could not be happier.

Cheers

• Like 1

..and John I think you misunderstood I changed the suspension on the old car not the new one there is no need to do anything on the new one its great. Also in my humble opinion by the time you spent all that cash upgrading the older car just a tiny bit extra on top will give you a 2011 model. Which is why I decided the full upgrade path. Why bother?

• Like 1

My financial manager has approved the funds to go for the 2010-2012 models, happy days. :D

Thanks for all your input it has helped me to make the decision on which way to go .

Now I just have to find the right one.

Well done, go for a well looked after 2011 you'll be very happy. Note the 2010's are not much different to the early models, 2011 and up where all the important changes happened and again the 2012 models and up have only very minor tweaks I don't think its worth the extra cash unless you get a killer deal.

• Like 1