There are a number of threads about Fsport intakes on the forum but i cant find any that specifically seem to address my question.

I'm wanting to give my 350 a little more growl internally under acceleration.I've read conflicting posts in this and other lexus forums that say that fitting the Fsport intake system gives next to no change in 'throatiness".

However what i've noticed is that a lot of guys fitting the F sport intake and other brand intakes are not refitting the Fsport intake resonator,in fact a lot of forums of other brand vehicles seem to be advocating they be deleted !

I would like to ask if anyone with a standard 350 (not Fsport) has fitted either just the Fsport resonator or the complete intake assembly inc resonator,and if so has it resulted in an appreciable increase in throatiness ?

Hmmm, seems like all of the modding on the 250/350 cars here is mostly about aesthetics eg lights,wheels,trim effects,lighting etc.

I cant believe no one has experimented with their engine intake /exhaust systems, even a little.

The problem here is most Lexus buyers (especially is250 / is350 models) have purchased a Lexus for its luxury credentials first and foremost. (Myself included).

This typically means expecting a quiet, comfortable ride.

Also, there is not a lot of extra performance (engine wise) to be had, relative to the amount of $$$$ that can be spent.

With my previous car, it was entirely different. It was very rare for owners to keep the engine stock.

(I certainly didn't buy my last car because of build quality or a quiet ride, and it certainly was far from stock when I sold it).

I have to admit, the performance mod bug is starting to bite me, however looking at the options available,

I think i would seriously be better off trading my current is350 for a like year model is-f, rather than spending $$$$ on headers, exhausts intake, and brakes. (And wheels to fit)

I think this is probably true for most is v6 owners. They are mostly happy with what they have, and are only willing to add more that do not adversely affect resale value when it comes time to sell / trade.

Just my 2c

Hmmm, seems like all of the modding on the 250/350 cars here is mostly about aesthetics eg lights,wheels,trim effects,lighting etc.

I cant believe no one has experimented with their engine intake /exhaust systems, even a little.

few of my customers have done mods on the engine side

but basic stuff like exhaust intake midpipe and headers

i know a couple of supercharged cars going around as well

i have been researching for the best outcome on the 250/350s for the exhaust and intakes for years

like my brothers car which is for sale is a

is250 with a is350 running gear and manual transmission

i can give you a run down on whats available for intake exhaust and headers if you like

Edited by ilv1004s

Thanks Zerone and ilv1004s

Zerone you are of course right about the expectations of most Lexus buyers.I count myself as fitting into that category.Its the cars overall smoothness ,quietness and sense of solid build quality that attracts me to the Lexus.But while i want these qualities i would also like to have a little more throatiness, but only under harder than normal acceleration.

I was hoping that i could achieve that without affecting the cars innate qualities(and its remaining warranty) by simply swapping the small intake resonator fitted to the 350 Lux/Prestige/X models with the larger resonator fitted to the F sport models.I was hoping folks here could tell me if they had done this and achieved the more throaty sound of the Fsport (not that i have yet experienced the sound of the Fsport, so im taking it on faith that it does infact sound throatier.Please correct me if i am wrong but i do believe that is the function of the larger resonator.

Thank you ilv1004s for the kind offer to give me info on headers etc but i've long long ago given up any desire to mod my cars for extra performance.

I wouldnt fit headers or 'other brand' intake systems.but I may fit a Fsport muffler system some time in the future, but no plans for that just now.

And i'm not embarrassed to say i wouldnt mind a few aesthetic mods to the outside of the car either.For example i much prefer the honeycomb upper grill of the Fsport to the near vertical lines of the standard grille.I also think that the rear end is screaming out for a rear diffuser of some kind to break up that wall of bumper and boot.

So,can i buy an Fsport resonator ?,will it fit onto the standard intake pipe ? Does it give a throatier sound under harder acceleration ?

personally I think the f sport intake on the 350 is a must, sounds very aggressive and probably what you are after..

Yes Vaku,im hoping its the effect im after.Can you tell me approximately how many RPM's the intake noise kicks in at ?

Well it was a response to post#4 which u put which is not true if you look around

F sport intake is 670 delivered new

Thanks Danny, do you know if that intake tube includes the resonator ?

no the intake does not have a resonator its just a pipe

the it kicks in from around 3000 rpm

i cant remember exactly re rpm , but its a lower-tone/agreesive sound similar to the 3IS intake. (had 2IS 350 with F sport and 3IS f sport)

huge difference imo.

Thanks guys for the quick replys. I'm unsure about just getting the Fsport intake pipe on its own.

I cant find it again but i read on one of the US forums (i think) that the Fsport pipe alone makes little difference to the growl inside the car,that in fact, it is the combination of the pipe and the specially designed and larger intake resonator that creates the "noise" difference internally in the Fsport.???

replacing the pipe only will give you no gains or sound

the sound difference comes from the lower box

you need to buy the full kit to achieve the sound and extra hp u want

\

replacing the pipe only will give you no gains or sound

the sound difference comes from the lower box

you need to buy the full kit to achieve the sound and extra hp u want

\

Thanks Danny, this is where i'm getting confused.That US forum i looked at spoke about adding all that (pipe and air box) but without the intake resonator.When the resonator was 'deleted' as the yanks like to say,the vehicle lost its throaty sound.It seems to indicate to me that ok you need the pipe,and the filter box but the characteristic sound is not all going to be there without that little intake resonator.

I'm thinking that it would be an interesting experiment to try and add the F sport resonator and see what effect if any it has on acceleration noise.I wonder if it can be purchased seperately.

Just now reading about resonators, it appears that more and more car manufacturers are starting to employ them(intake resonators) to achieve a more gutsy engine sound reminisient of the days when cars intakes and exhaust systems wer'nt so heavily involved in emissions regulation.

BMW have gone to the extraordinary length of having an engine noise prerecorded and linked to the vehicles acceleration which plays back through the cars internal speakers.All this to create the impression for the customer of a high performance engine.(even though the engine is an actual high performace engine)

Porsche have added a pipe to their intake resonator and poked it through the firewall to give their cars a more gutsy sound.

Clearly Lexus are doing the same.

i think you are gettiung confused with the later models

the 2012 and before models do not have a intake sound generator as u call it a resonator

a resonators job as it reads is to resonate the sound

Ah ah, yes that might be the case.I am finding it really hard to find detailed images and info about specific Lexus models.

The images and info i have been looking at may have been from later,or different models.

i think you are gettiung confused with the later models

the 2012 and before models do not have a intake sound generator as u call it a resonator

a resonators job as it reads is to resonate the sound

Just out of interest these were some of the shots i was looking at.You can see the two different size/shape resonators hanging off the right side of the intake tube. An F type on the left and normal 350 on the right.

post-8431-0-37590600-1444550995_thumb.jppost-8431-0-69953000-1444551017_thumb.jp

right yeap as i thought u are confused

the left side is the 2014+ IS350 F sport factory) (3IS) and the right side is 2011-2013(2IS) IS350 engine

Edited by ilv1004s

right yeap as i thought u are confused

the left side is the 2014+ IS350 F sport factory) (3IS) and the right side is 2011-2013(2IS) IS350 engine

Ok thanks, thats good to get that sorted.

........Now i wonder if the 2014 intake would fit the earlier model ???.... Nah lets not go there.

Danny you seem to be very knowledgable about the various models and part /prices etc.If its ok with you i might contact you again about some parts availabilty and prices.

Thanks lexisx ,nice find ,thats exactly what i've been referring to.However that forum is in the States so i wonder if those parts are easily available locally ?

One poster quotes $200 US so it would probably be twice that here (at least) if it were available. So at $400 odd dollars not a big outlay if it doesnt work out.Remember im just after the different noise,not any performance gains so should suit me right down to the ground.