Automatic Transmission - Fluid Change

Having one issue that I didnt have before.

When I stop an oily smell comes up into the cab, mainly thru the dash vents.

I thought it may of been oil from oily hands on the cat convertor and would burn off but it hasnt changed.

Ive checked for leaks around trans, engine, diff etc...no joy.

Anyone know if there is a breather on the top of the gearbox?

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2017 at 2:12 PM, bazzle said:

Having one issue that I didnt have before.

When I stop an oily smell comes up into the cab, mainly thru the dash vents.

I thought it may of been oil from oily hands on the cat convertor and would burn off but it hasnt changed.

Ive checked for leaks around trans, engine, diff etc...no joy.

Anyone know if there is a breather on the top of the gearbox?

How did you go finding the cause of this issue?

Did anyone else encounter this problem after their flush and replacement?

I didnt find the cause. Still get the odd whiff when stopping after a run. 

Ran around and sniffed everything, no joy.

Guessing it "may" be from an exh flange but need to get onto a hoist.

• 2 years later...

Well I I am really grateful about the information shared in this discussion and can see it’s been a while since this topic has been discussed. I wanted to look at booking my IS in for a gearbox oil change at Kewish Automotive too, but it appears they are no longer in business (listed as permanently closed on Google maps)🙁. Does anyone have a recommendation in the East/South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne please?

Many thanks

11 hours ago, S3AN said:

Well I I am really grateful about the information shared in this discussion and can see it’s been a while since this topic has been discussed. I wanted to look at booking my IS in for a gearbox oil change at Kewish Automotive too, but it appears they are no longer in business (listed as permanently closed on Google maps)🙁. Does anyone have a recommendation in the East/South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne please?

Many thanks

I got my transmission serviced at Lexus of Brighton. I went with them because I was quite surprised they where quite affordable. They also followed the proper procedure to drain and fill the oil. They warmed up the transmission fluid, connected the vehicle to their diagnostics system, ran the pump to remove the old oil and fill in the new oil. So it wasnt a simple, drain and fill. This method as mentioned before does not remove oil from within the guts of the transmission or the torque converter, whereas the method lexus uses does.

I notice a much smoother transmission change, I completed the change at 105,000kms. I will do it again at another 60,000kms.

I would not do it to a car with high kms. I did it to a BMW 5 series with 185,000kms, the transmission ended up slipping and it was not economically viable to replace. Or it slipped because it was a BMW and honestly they are crap, will never buy another one, unbelievable amount of issues.

Hope that helps

Thanks very much phillip1978,

I normally go to Lexus of Blackburn and will ask them if they follow the same method as you described. I saw an earlier post saying they didn’t but hopefully enough people have been asking since that they provide this service now. If they don’t I’ll head to Lexus of Brighton to get it done correctly. My car milage is just under 90k and I think it will be good to get it done now.

Do you remember what they charged for this? It’s due for a service in the coming weeks so I’ll post an update. 

Thanks again and have a great weekend

Hi,

Yep Kewish Automotive have closed down due to person health reasons I was told.

Ringwood Automatics 5/156 - 160 New street Ringwood Vic,  98791009 is the next go to business for complete transmission oil changes with your Lexus.

I was quoted $400 including the new lexus filter kit to complete the proper procedure.

My 2012 RX350 is approaching 200,000kms and I will be going there very soon once I can get a day off work 🙂