Advise on current negotiation on 2010 Lexus IS 350 Prestige

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I need your urgent help.

I am currently under negotiations with this Lexus Chatswood dealer.

For the below Lexus IS 350 Prestige 2010 model.

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2010-Lexus-IS350-Prestige-GSE21R/OAG-AD-12340155

I am trying to push him down to $30k as this is my absolute limit and I think is a fair deal.

I think for the year model,condition and kms from what I can see in the pictures looks pretty good. (I have not test driven the car as of yet.)

I also currently drive and own a 2001 VW Bora V5 semi-auto with 121000kms in which I would like to trade in, I'm thinking I'll get between $1-$2k if lucky.

What I wanted to know is the following.

1 - Do you think especially if I can get this for $30k it is good value?

2 - When I test drive it what should I look out for specifically? (The dealer has advised me it has been serviced at Lexus the whole time and recently just serviced as well)

3 - Is there anything else I should look out for in this car or that I should know of?

4 - Also I understand this model has gone through a few updates and facelifts, is this the latest version of this before the completely new looking shape?

Can someone please shed some light on this and explain the various updates and when they took place.

5 - Also how would you rate this Lexus between say a Subaru Liberty 2013 GT Premium in regards to comfort, performance, efficieny, handling, Luxury ect - as I am also considering this as a direct comparison (Don't like Euros as they break down and maintenance too much)

I know it is a lot to task! However your quick response will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Edited by Limpala

Hi.Welcome.My answers to your questions.

1.Redbook values this car private sale at $25700-$28900 so based on that price seems still a bit high.

2.Based on the kms it's done just take it for a good long test drive,in traffic and on open road if possible.

3.Again you state it has full Lexus service history so i'd concentrate my efforts on looking for any accidents,panels and paint not quite right in a certain light etc.

4.This car is pretty much the previous model prior to the current series 3.Others here can expand on this question.

5.Luxury,comfort and efficiency i think Lexus > Liberty.Turbo power is always nice!Comes down to preference.Lexus is better all round car .Liberty is bit more sporty.

Either car will be easier on your wallet than any euro car.particularly ones out of warranty!

This is my opinion only.A lot of people buy badges not cars so if you want the luxury car feeling with all the benefits and only a few minor negatives then buy a Lexus.

Thanks for that Tony.

I'm surprised the Dealer doesn't even really want to meet at $30k considering your research, but I guess that's dealers always wanting to get the best price possible of course.

Does anyone know of a link or a friend that has a Subaru Liberty GT Premium and done a direct comparison?

I know this is slightly off topic but what do you think of this GS300 below?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-GS300-2005/OAG-AD-12213962

I know it's slower, bigger (Roomier inside) and older then the IS350 but they are cheaper and still decent performance with the same or even more features. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this because I think they are great value considering it was once worth $110k brand new!!

1 hour ago, Limpala said:

I know this is slightly off topic but what do you think of this GS300 below?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-GS300-2005/OAG-AD-12213962

I know it's slower, bigger (Roomier inside) and older then the IS350 but they are cheaper and still decent performance with the same or even more features. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this because I think they are great value considering it was once worth $110k brand new!!

Again seems price is too high.Redbook value below.

I realise this is only a guide but the difference is quite a bit!

Free Car Valuations

red_book.gif

2005 Lexus GS300 GRS190R Sports

Click Here to change the vehicle you wish to value
Private Price Guide $10,200 - $12,600+ Average km
110,000 - 200,000
Trade in Price Guide $7,100 - $9,500+ Average km

Fair enough.

I actually test drove the red IS 350 today and must say I was wowed! What a great car.

Couldn't fault it.

Awesome power

Smooth as

Super comfortable

Handling direct

Dealer was happy for me to take the car home but I declined.

This is Lexus of Chatswood, really good service I must say.

He won't be able to meet me at $30k but he knows I want it. It's been there for 3 months.

I'm just gonna wait for him to call me.

2010 to 2013 mechanically unchanged

though small things like NAV system

BT audio streaming etc has been added on for the 2013

ie 2010 had matt black headlight surrounds to 2011

2012 has black chrome surround and added eyelashes

2013 has lighter shade black chrome surround

small subtle differences between the headlights and also ABS system as well

Edited by ilv1004s

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

The red Prestige ended up selling.

However I have come across this F Sport.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-IS350-2011/OAG-AD-12477213/?Cr=8

I have test driven it and it is very nice.

I have managed to negotiate this dealer down to $33k but I think I can get them close to $31k as they have been calling me a couple of times so I think they might be desperate to sell.

Besides the firmer suspension i really do like it.

What do you guys think and for value, kms ect?

I'm a sales executive (bought quite a few cars but recognise I'm not perfect) but will give you my advice. Be firm, offer your $30k & that's it. Be polite yet firm that it's your final offer & all you can pay. Don't entertain conversation on finance assistance etc. 

Finally, be a bit patient & not too eager. If he doesn't budge after a few days or a week, say you scraped another thousand or two & that's it. Be civil in stating you'll buy an IS350 & use other market examples if you can, the question is more surrounding if you'll buy theirs.

It's pretty simple, they'll either sell it or they won't. At $30k, I'm quite confident they still made a profit. If they still don't budge & you discover you can find no other quite like it, re-evaluate your offer/position. At least you'll know you left little to no food on the table.

If the car sells elsewhere, tough luck. Keep searching.

• Like 3