Just noticed that recently, my 2006 is250 has been making rattling noises during some cold starts. This has happened before 1 month after purchase in 2013 and lexus service fixed it by replacing the cam gears for free (dealer warranty from city lexus). Now that the problem has arised again, im dreading forking out money for this problem as it shouldve been fixed permanantly. I have found the TSIB, but my car clearly is out of warranty. Has anyone had experience getting this fixed for free without warranty? Will contacting the ACCC be of any help? 

I used to have the same issue with my TRD Aurion absolutely none could figure out what the issue was, until one day my mechanic buddy suggested we try a new fully synthetic oil and viola problem was fixed as simple as that. I read your question by chance too;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 29/02/2016 at 10:20 PM, ISFBloke said:

I used to have the same issue with my TRD Aurion absolutely none could figure out what the issue was, until one day my mechanic buddy suggested we try a new fully synthetic oil and viola problem was fixed as simple as that. I read your question by chance too;)

ISFBloke what was to oil, can you remember?

My Lexus IS250 on a warm start sometimes has a knock that sounds like the tappits for only a second or two.

i have tried most market full synthetic oil but not help and I am using Mobil 1 all the time now.

I think that is nothing wrong with the oil  told from all Melbourne Lexus dealers. I just ignore that  as they said wont effect daily driving or cost fixed around 3000 in dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ISFBloke said:

Yes that's what all mechanics and Toyota told me until I took it to one who put the right oil in it and the rattle stopped.

Lexus did my last oil change and I have the tappets rattle from time to time, mostly when the engine is warm. 

Its the VVT. They also have the same problem on the RX350s. I have been advised that it will not do any harm just that it is annoying to hear. 

Variable Valve Timing. Its a known problem with the 350 engines. Costs around $1500-$2000 to rectify. I did it once but now will not pay for it again. If it doesn't cause any issues then i wont pay that much again. It wont fail or cause any damage to the engine.

30 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Variable Valve Timing. Its a known problem with the 350 engines. Costs around $1500-$2000 to rectify. I did it once but now will not pay for it again. If it doesn't cause any issues then i wont pay that much again. It wont fail or cause any damage to the engine.

thanks for the feedback. 

sounds to me like a design fault or a factory defect and the repair cost should be bourne by lexus

the so called cold start rattle is caused by cam gears

06-09 was a common problem

but they changed the cam gears on on the later 09+

this was actually warranted by lexus australia as well

contact the dealer even though your warranty might be out

iv heard alot of people who still got it replace under warranty after their warranty expired

Hi thanks for the info.

I just called my local Lexus dealer service department, they know nothing of a recall for this issue you mentioned and said it's a delay in the VVT engaging at engine start.

So can you provide some more detail in this factory recall for the cam gears?

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2016 at 8:30 AM, ISFBloke said:

Yes that's what all mechanics and Toyota told me until I took it to one who put the right oil in it and the rattle stopped.

Hi mate I have the same issue with my 2009 RX 350 where is rattles on start. I don't service with Lexus and it is out of warranty but i still carry out log book servicing at service centres locally. The last time they did an oil change using Penrite 5w40 synthetic the rattle stopped for about a month and now its back. And it has got a bit worse than before. 

Are you able to tell me the exact oil brand and type you used please? I really cannot justify myself paying $2300 to the dealer to replace the cam gears as quoted by them. 

Thank you

10 minutes ago, vijith555 said:

Hi mate I have the same issue with my 2009 RX 350 where is rattles on start. I don't service with Lexus and it is out of warranty but i still carry out log book servicing at service centres locally. The last time they did an oil change using Penrite 5w40 synthetic the rattle stopped for about a month and now its back. And it has got a bit worse than before. 

Are you able to tell me the exact oil brand and type you used please? I really cannot justify myself paying $2300 to the dealer to replace the cam gears as quoted by them. 

Thank you

Hi, it can not be fixed permanently. It’s not worth to change. We just leave it.

2 hours ago, jerry said:

Hi, it can not be fixed permanently. It’s not worth to change. We just leave it.

Thanks Jerry for getting back. I was thinking the same too but just trying to make sure i exhaust all options before I give up. 

Regardless of it being a serious fault or not it is quite embarrassing to startup the car in front of friends and family when it rattles this loud. And when i say loud it can be heard 5 cars away loud. I rang Lexus Australia to see if they can give me some options and all they did was get me to speak to service manager of the local dealership, who has no authority to carry out this repair for any less money. Apparently Lexus Australia has to authorise one if they ever do. Problem is looks like not enough people from Australia has brought this case up so its not considered a recall or out of warranty fix by Lexus or Toyota unfortunately while in the US it has been done that way.