Check VSC

BLK ISF

Hi all,

Today all of a sudden whilst driving i get an error warning in my dash (Check VSC).  Prior to that it was routine driving, didnt lose traction, hit anything etc.

Ive searched without success here and via google many are pointing at a fuel cap which i wouldnt have guessed.

Ive gone through the manual without luck and get the warning light to go away.  Its been a few hours now.

Any ideas or has anyone successfully got rid of the same message before, thanks.

Ps Car does appear to drive fine though

Car is a 2008 ISF

Now just discovered the car wont engage 1st gear. I get the beeps when trying to get into 1st gear.  This is even from a standstill.  It starts off in 2nd gear. 

Manual F mode or auto, it wont go into 1st gear :-(

37 minutes ago, LTuned said:

If it was me, I would book it into Lexus straight away and have it checked out. 

Agree.  Problem is wrong time to have a car issue, most workshops closed early or away for long Anzac weekend in Sydney.  Lexus not open till Tuesday then ill have to book it in so they prob wont see it until mid-end next week.

Just hope its a sensor or something minor.  Confident its not a gearbox / transmission issue as most of my driving is work and back in traffic.  I dont drive it nearly as hard as im sure other owners get the chance too lol.

One forum suggested disconnect the battery but i dont think its that simple given i cant get first gear.  Ohters even suggest o2 exhaust sensor but i got that over a month ago.

Yes hopefully something simple, ISF's are pretty tough.  as the exhaust is newish, it could have something to do with it.  Lexus will plug there computer into your ISF, and all will be revealed.   just to be safe, I wouldn't drive it until you get it checked.

I think you're in limp mode. Hence the 1st gear lockout. You can try the code reset, there's instructions on clublexus. Pending that, I wouldn't stress. A lot of things can cause that, varying from a voltage drop dying battery to a speed sensor wire being worn down.

Thanks LTuned, was planning to take it to Lexus to scan and reveal whats wrong

Thanks MR2QIK, i didnt get a chance to search for reset instructions just yet but a US forum suggested disconnecting the battery first so i gave that a go.  30 mins later i reconnected it, started the car and it was gone and i could also choose 1st gear.  Im yet to drive it but atleast i know its something minor now.

Just hoping it was one of those things where it doesnt come back vs coming back in a day or so

Hi BLk ISF - I've had this before - Twice. Both times exact same symptoms as yours. This is what will happen. 

1. You unplug and clear codes

2. Code WILL come back in 40-80km

3. Lexus will scan for codes

4. Normally it will be one sensor need replacing. Each sensor is around AUD$325 from dealer - I recommend getting through them as if it's not a dealer part they won't warrant it and if any issues down line you will need to pay for labour again

5. Normally an AF sensor in the primary cat/header section. These are very sensitive. Sometimes at may effect the sensor further down cussing it not to cycle properly. Diagnosis is sometimes where most of the time is spent

FYI - you are fine to drive for the time being. You will not damage the car. 

Any further questions just ask me 

14 hours ago, BCHLER said:

Hi BLk ISF - I've had this before - Twice. Both times exact same symptoms as yours. This is what will happen. 

1. You unplug and clear codes

2. Code WILL come back in 40-80km

3. Lexus will scan for codes

4. Normally it will be one sensor need replacing. Each sensor is around AUD$325 from dealer - I recommend getting through them as if it's not a dealer part they won't warrant it and if any issues down line you will need to pay for labour again

5. Normally an AF sensor in the primary cat/header section. These are very sensitive. Sometimes at may effect the sensor further down cussing it not to cycle properly. Diagnosis is sometimes where most of the time is spent

FYI - you are fine to drive for the time being. You will not damage the car. 

Any further questions just ask me 

So far about 15kms down, so hoping i have more luck and pass 40-80 without an issue.

So am i safe to assume that as i have an aftermarket cat back system, that a OEM AF sensor will continue to give me problems as it detects i have a high flow cat.  Would the sensor need some kind of resistor to fool it / bypass so the sensor thinks the more stock cat convertor is still there???

AF sensor in the primary pos (in cats) doesn't get affected by cat back system. You'll be fine. There are 2 sets of sensors and the second set don't usually cause any issues with an exhaust. 

Best bet. If it doesn't come back after a couple hundred kms- great. If it does take it to Chris at Chatswood Lexus and tell him Alex with the silver ISF sent you