Hi Guys

Just inherited my father's 2000 GS300,  he'd bought it in 2002 from a doctor who was the first owner.  Its always been looked after very well, and a joy to drive ,  cant believe how smooth the engine and transmission operates, has close to 150k and almost due for a timing belt change.  Just wondering from any other owners how long these engines are good for?  Looking forward to putting a few more kms on the old girl.

Hello Nick L

You will enjoy your GS 300, they are a nice vehicle.

I have a 2003 GS Ltuned model, which I believe is the same shape.  I now have 159,000km on mine and have had no major issues, only normal stuff like brake pads, rotors, oil changes, just keep it serviced.  they are very reliable and well built, it’s a Lexus.  Mine doesn’t use any oil between services, I recon they will go past 300,000km easily.  I just traveled in my GS down to Tasmania, drove around it and back to Sydney, almost 7000km, and the GS didn’t miss a beat.

Take it for a long drive on the highway,  the GS are a great highway cruiser.

Hi John,   

Thanks for the reply.  My father has owned the car for a long time, and due to advancing age not driving much, but agree with you nothing has gone wrong with it whilst in his hands apart from routine servicing.  Hopefully that trend will continue with me. At first I was bit reluctant to take it due to the sheer size, I've always driven smaller cars.  One drive to visit a mate in Canberra had me convinced, very smooth highway cruiser and not too bad around town, although its taken some getting use to parking.

I just need to find somebody reputable to do the timing belt/water pump which are almost due.

I'll post some pic soon.

hi nick i have 257000 on the clock still runs like new have done fuel injectors as normal maintenance suggest around 200000kms made a difference in performance keep it regularly serviced and it will go for ever yes the smoothest auto trans i have ever driven just love it.

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day to all GS300 owners

Quick update

Had the timing belt/water pump replaced recently and have been enjoying driving the GS300 with a few drives to Canberra and the usual daily commute. Car has felt incredible for its age and from what I've read and now agree 100% with its a superb highway cruiser. However what I found incredible is that the timing belt replacement interval is 150k or 90 months.  My father had bought the car in 2002 and never changed the belt.  I had decided to wait around and watch the work been conducted and was shocked to see that the original belt had shown little to no sign of wear, after 145k and 16 years.  I had always been a big fan of German cars, but now convinced of the quality and reliability of these cars, not sure if the mechanic was just blowing smoke, but said this engine is capable of 500k.

Looking forward to many years of motoring in the old girl .

Hello Nick, good to know you are enjoying your GS, great vehicle.  500,000km good to hear, I was been conservative when I said 300,000+km, if looked after, should be no problem.  I call my GS LTuned a mobile lounge room, plenty of room and very comfy. I rarely take my ISF (which is a fantastic vehicle) on the highway, as the GS has more room and a bigger boot, & is just as good to drive on the highway, except it has half the power of my ISF.  once the cruise control is turned on, you cannot tell.

Hi John,  Agree with the lounge part,  and once on the motorway the fuel consumption drops right down.  Only awkward part is living in the inner west, sometimes its a challenge finding a suitable  parking spot.

Happy and safe Lexus motoring :)

• 2 months later...

Is this the same motor as a 2002 V6 Camry if so i had one years ago 245000kms 1 alternator and that was it, it felt like it had 200000kms left in it.  1mz-fe was in the es300 .

Hello 2bling, no it is not the same motor. it has an 3 litre inline 6,  2JZ-GE.  All GS models are rear wheel drive, the ES is front wheel drive and is a different vehicle.  In 2005 Lexus changed the GS to a 3 litre V6, and still rear wheel drive.

P1110405.jpg

• Like 1