Track Day Gadgets!

Sparky

So i have committed to the track day on the 22nd Nov (quietly frothing out!) and wanted to get the most from my time on the track. I dont intend to track the car often, maybe 1-2 times a year, and after the tune etc i can see me driving the ISF for a few years to come. Until i can afford a GSF that is!

I was thinking about getting a few toys for recording the day. I have an older go-Pro, but my iPhone 6 actually has a better camera and interface etc than that now.. I was after some feedback and ideas to be thrown around So here is what i was thinking:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/products

Get the Grand Prix version of the lap timer, so i can overlay the all information from this below.

http://www.autoinstruct.com.au/product/kiwi-3/

This will pull all information from the car including throttle inputs, speed etc etc and overlay it over the video from above. Looks mental from what i have seen.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-Windcreen-Suction-Cup-Universal-Large-X-Grip-Kit-RAM-B-166-UN10U-/112067407544?var=&hash=item1a17bceeb8:m:mf3WMtN8cfnwEYQkV-0zSOw

Use this mount to sucker the iPhone onto the sunroof, hanging down like a bat, so i can get a slightly behind shoulder view of the hands / action, whilst getting a great view out of the windscreen. It has some good grip on the phone, and the rubber grips should take some of the vibration out of the playback.

With all this combined it would be pretty cool i reckon, and then its straight onto the YouTube!!

What do you think? I know a lot of people use the iPhone app and have seen some use the OBD, but do you think the camera position could be cool? No big deal if that doesnt work, i can just face it forward out the windscreen closer up.

Awesome collection to make a great video - I'm surprised you'd be in for all this for just 2x trackdays a year - but TBO I'm tempted too and I've done 1 day in the Lexus in nearly 3 years LOL. Like you have an old GoPro Hero2 but my Iphone6 or wife's S6 even does 4K recording are better.

For the track timing to be accurate it needs good GPS reception - would the moonroof opening be large enough? IN the sense that the signal isn't blocked by the surrounding metal roof? Probably be fine. 

Yes videoing your track day is a great idea, you can relive the day.   videoing from the sun roof will give you a good view of yourself driving, and some outside footage.  but unless it is mounted around shoulder level, you don’t see much out the front as the camera is blocked by the rear view mirror.  The longer the mount for the camera is, you get more flex and vibration, and the camera moves around with the G forces.  a light camera helps, try and keep the mount as short as possible.  Also videoing from the middle of the vehicle the camera adjust the light for inside, and the outside bits are over exposed.  Just try lots of different spots, and see which one you like. 

“Harry lap timer” says it will work with the OBD and the 20 Hz GPS receiver, which will give better accuracy, and can be mounted outside your ISF or on the inside of the sun roof for stealth,  for a better GPS signal.   it is great having the taco and GPS speed on the video.

You will have a fun day.

On 10/09/2016 at 11:12 AM, Monyx said:

Awesome collection to make a great video - I'm surprised you'd be in for all this for just 2x trackdays a year - but TBO I'm tempted too and I've done 1 day in the Lexus in nearly 3 years LOL. Like you have an old GoPro Hero2 but my Iphone6 or wife's S6 even does 4K recording are better.

For the track timing to be accurate it needs good GPS reception - would the moonroof opening be large enough? IN the sense that the signal isn't blocked by the surrounding metal roof? Probably be fine. 

Yeah i think it should be fine.. I think.. haha! Im sure the bug will bite, but lets see how expensive this day is in parts though, im due for new brakes and rotors so could be good timing to finish them off! 

23 hours ago, LTuned said:

Yes videoing your track day is a great idea, you can relive the day.   videoing from the sun roof will give you a good view of yourself driving, and some outside footage.  but unless it is mounted around shoulder level, you don’t see much out the front as the camera is blocked by the rear view mirror.  The longer the mount for the camera is, you get more flex and vibration, and the camera moves around with the G forces.  a light camera helps, try and keep the mount as short as possible.  Also videoing from the middle of the vehicle the camera adjust the light for inside, and the outside bits are over exposed.  Just try lots of different spots, and see which one you like. 

“Harry lap timer” says it will work with the OBD and the 20 Hz GPS receiver, which will give better accuracy, and can be mounted outside your ISF or on the inside of the sun roof for stealth,  for a better GPS signal.   it is great having the taco and GPS speed on the video.

You will have a fun day.

Yes im going to get the holder with the extended arm, i was worried about the amount of movement / vibration the longer arm will cause but it should all be fine.

Im thinking about getting a wide angle lens to use with the iPhone too, which should look reaaaaally cool! Cant wait!