Wakefield park trackday Thur 13/10/16

Monyx

Hiya,

I have booked a spot at Wakefield Park (near Goulburn, NSW) for one of their 'Speed of the street' days for street cars, $145 +$25 day licence if you don't have one...I've done a couple of Circuit Club days before, but they're getting up to $280 a pop and with tyres, rego, insurance all due at end of month I'm going budget. They limit 15 cars on the track at once, no timing, it's a bit of pot luck as to how many turn up on the day, perhaps weekday will be relatively quiet. 

What date is this,i have done this track once it was great did Marulan track to small, would be good for a 121 Mazda cheers. Just saw the heading 13/10/16....

setting my tyres pressures for tomorrow's day totally confused - last time I was at the track, 'expert' tutors said run 6-10psi over the manufacturers cold psi recommendation, consensus online seems to be that one should aim to be 2-4psi over the hot psi recommendation (which means take reduce by ~4psi cold). The last bit more fits with my experience in taking motorcycle street tyres on a track day - that is the street tyres work much harder than they are designed for, thus heat up a lot and without nitrogen - the psi goes up...check and manage through-out the day aiming for 2-4psi over standard hot pressures. Whew! is that it?

Probably all moot...my OEM Bridgestones are on their last legs @ 30k kms so maybe nothing I do psi-wise will matter LOL. I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super sports ($1500 fitted in Canberra) as I'll need them after tomorrow :scooter:

I have Potenzas, last night cold I set F 38psi R 36, today after a morning session the fronts were 45psi and R 42-43 HOT checked straight after some spirited laps. I asked a few others on the day and settled on Fr 40psi HOT and little less in rears. At the first sessions tyres seemed to go off and become slippery after 3 laps of pretty much at the adhesion limit - bleeding out a bit they seemed to last longer before going off.

Although last time I seemed to suffer understeer, todays problem all day in ~15C sunny Goulburn was back end sliding around - flat out chasing '16 MX5, but made sense when owner told me they weigh 1000kg. I can't get full power down! Edit: of course I could've rounded up the mx-5 down the straights, just chose not stand on those expensive brembos to hard at the end of the straight too many times.

Next time will aim for 36 HOT in rears see how that goes - obviously big factor here is Potenza vs my next set of tyres Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

The problem with any street tyre is that after a few heat cycles they get cooked and lose traction and will never come back, if you want consistency and the ability to put full power down you need to go Michelin Cup 2 or the likes, they are track tires that are street legal.

3 hours ago, 2bling said:

Any pics, it is a nice track been around 1 time but not in the ISF so different to road driving cheers.

v quick edit of couple of slides.

2 hours ago, 2bling said:

Wow the tyres are sh*t tell us what you think of the Michelin's and what place in Canberra did you get them cheers.

They are OEM 2011 tyres w/31k kms up, already done 1x track day, but slides are induced, i.e. I'm going to 2nd in stead of 3rd and getting on the throttle early with intention of having bit of fun (but trying not to hit the infield  going sideways and scratch $7k ea wheels!)

Michelin from B-Jane Fyshwick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 6:47 PM, 2bling said:

How did you go with the Michelin pss tyres what are your thoughts.

Still waiting, apparently none in the country when I ordered ETA was end of Oct but haven't heard anything. Rego expires mid Nov so starting to sweat on them.