Hi all,  Ive searched but haven’t had much luck regarding my queries.  Just after some opinions/experiences with 19in tyres. 

I currently have Michelin super sports OEM sizes
Front 19 x 8.5,  225/40

Rears 19x9.5, 255/35

Whilst they are great tyres, I don’t track the car, it’s a daily ride, I don’t push it that hard (im sure no where near as hard as some of you on this forum lol) but the rears are already showing signs of wear. 

So next time im looking at getting a more hard wearing tyre, sacrifice a bit of grip but get a wider footprint.  Thinking 265/35 (don’t want to go to 30 profile as it will be a bumpy ride and its an 08 so the suspension is already firm).

Called Ozzy who said they can fit a 265/30 but not a 35 profile (didn’t recommend it).  Also they said at 265 they would have to roll the guards etc but I thought only at 275 would I need to do this etc.  Guessing at 275 there would be sidewall issues given its width?

Fronts are ok so has anyone got any opinions for rear sizes for 19x9.5 rims, do or donts, regrets etc

Are you running on the stock 19" rim? And is your car at stock height or lowered?

I have a IS250 with 19x9.5 R19 +45 rear rim and 265/35 R19 rear tyre, slightly lowered on coilovers, no scrubbing at all, so no need guard rolling. Not sure about 275 wide.

Nope, got aftermarket rims, Vertini magic but still 19inch.

Im sure its standard height but still reasonably low as most IS F's are from factory.  The ride is a bit bumpy so i dont want to contribute anymore to that.

I was sure 265/35 would fit on the rear but Ozzy was trying to convince me otherwise telling me id still need to roll the guards and go down in profile to 265/30 which i didnt think sounded right.

2 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Nope, got aftermarket rims, Vertini magic but still 19inch.

Im sure its standard height but still reasonably low as most IS F's are from factory.  The ride is a bit bumpy so i dont want to contribute anymore to that.

I was sure 265/35 would fit on the rear but Ozzy was trying to convince me otherwise telling me id still need to roll the guards and go down in profile to 265/30 which i didnt think sounded right.

I got my tyres from Tempe Tyres, I rang them for the same question you are asking when I upgraded to 19" with wider tyres.

Over the phone they asked me for the rim size & offset and told me exactly the max tyre size I can go.

When fitting the tyres, they checked my ride height to make sure no scrubbing and offered me free swap if it scrubs after fitting in the same day.

Cheers Kyo, i have used Tempe in the past on another car so ill give them a go. I wanted to avoid rolling the guards if possible, got nightmares that even if heated, they may crack the paint etc.

Im sure 265 will fit but just not sure if it means a lower profile to 30 vs 35.

Hey

I have 265.35.19 on the rear of mine. Kumho Ecsta. Been on the car for just over a year. No prob at all. Rear guards untouched. Thinking 275.30.19 next.

Fronts are 245.40.19.

32 minutes ago, Peterkay said:

Hey

I have 265.35.19 on the rear of mine. Kumho Ecsta. Been on the car for just over a year. No prob at all. Rear guards untouched. Thinking 275.30.19 next.

Fronts are 245.40.19.

Hey do you find the Kumhos?  Ive had the MPSS for about 10000kms now and they are wearing and break traction easy now vs when they were new.  Maybe im unrealistic with this car (previous car AWD etc).  I used to get 30000kms and more with that car.  Ok im not expecting that with the ISF but was hoping for 20000kms or more.  Have you done alot of kms in the yr to last that long?

Just trying to find a good all round tyre but one that will last longer than what i have now

With 265/35 you should get away with not rolling the rear guards, I think it would be close.    It’s more about your new mag wheel offset.  As 275/35 on the standard mags fit under the rear guards, as do 245/35 on the front.    I have different mags that I use for the track, and they have more offset on the rears.  I also run 275/35 on them, but because of their offset I had to roll the inside of the rear guards for them to fit.  

The Tire Rack is a good place to look at tyres, as you can look at all their brands and see what sizes they come in, and they have a lot of info about tyres.   Here a link to their tyres by brand page.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tires/by-brand.html

F Sport Mag 275.35.19.jpg

Coconut2001,  thanks, that’s what I thought when I first saw them.  I still have the standard suspension fitted on my ISF.  I like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, plenty of grip.

BLK

I have had the car a year exact this month & the last owner fitted them 6 months prior to me getting it. i have done around 8,000km. Tyre wear is still quite good & i am thinking 

i will sneak 20,000km out of them. Just got to keep the right foot a little lighter, hahaha. I even spent an hour & half on QLD raceway at one of the meets there this year & plan to do another one soon.  

So with that i quite like them. I run 40psi all round also. As with traction loss, well our cars do put power to the rear quite easily  :yahoo:

I know what you are saying though, as i have had 02 WRX,  04 STI & 2007 6 MPS. I found the MPS 200kwatw  the best of the bunch. We still have it now as it belongs to my son, lol. 

I have been doing some research, and apparently this combo is the closest to factory sidewall rigidity, and tyre outside diameter (OD):

Front - 245x35

Back - 285x30

Apparently the changing of specs outside this changes the rolling length of the tyre up to 10%, which will affect speedo, distance travelled on the odometer etc. etc. Basically a lot of negative impact. Its all been explained and debated in depth here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/596424-tire-size-on-stock-09-rims.html 

The downside is that the above also reduces the amount of cushioning from road imperfections, but the upside is a 10-15% larger amount of tyre on the road. Ill be doing the above next tyre change. Without the LSD im squealing tyres all over the shop!

I like the 275/35 on the rear mags of the ISF, which for the Michelin PSS, have a diameter of 26.6 inches, the stock size tyres in Michelin PSS,  255/35 have a diameter of 26 inches.  info from the Tire Rack.  The 275/35 are slightly larger in diameter than the stock tyres, and as all car speedos over read by 5 to 10kph at 100kph, it will make the speedo more accurate. The 35 series on the back will also give a slightly better ride over the 30 series tyres.  they also say 275 is the max that you can put on a 9 inch wide rim.

Tyre pressures are a funny thing,  my PSS road tyres, I run 230 kpa when cold in the rear tyres, & 245 kpa when cold in the front tyres, as the fronts always work harder.  The lower pressure in the rear tyres is much better for traction, only pump them up if you have a heavy load in the back.

Pressure are different for the track.  In my track tyres, I run 46 psi when hot in the front tyres, otherwise you can roll the front tyres and run on the side wall.  & 36 psi when hot in the rear tyres, as the rear tyres don’t roll much.   any higher in the rear tyres and the back slides around too much.

21 hours ago, Peterkay said:

BLK

I have had the car a year exact this month & the last owner fitted them 6 months prior to me getting it. i have done around 8,000km. Tyre wear is still quite good & i am thinking 

i will sneak 20,000km out of them. Just got to keep the right foot a little lighter, hahaha. I even spent an hour & half on QLD raceway at one of the meets there this year & plan to do another one soon.  

So with that i quite like them. I run 40psi all round also. As with traction loss, well our cars do put power to the rear quite easily  :yahoo:

I know what you are saying though, as i have had 02 WRX,  04 STI & 2007 6 MPS. I found the MPS 200kwatw  the best of the bunch. We still have it now as it belongs to my son, lol. 

With the Mich super sports ive done just under 10000kms and lately it doesnt require a great deal of effort to brake traction so ive subconsciously adjusted my driving to take off slower to not see the orange light flash on the dash lol.

I'll be lucky to get 15000kms, maybe 12000 give or take so for me being a daily driver, i was hoping for more.  On my previous car (WRX), id get well over double that, 30000kms easy (same driving style).  Maybe i need to lower those expecations given its RWD with big HP.

When i bought the car it had Kumho's but hard to judge as they were already worn and i knew they needed replacing so couldnt comment on its grip, not fair.  I doubt ill go with such soft compound tyres again though, need something more hard wearing.

Ps Never driven an MPS, would of thought the STI would be a much better car overall to drive???

20 hours ago, Sparky said:

I have been doing some research, and apparently this combo is the closest to factory sidewall rigidity, and tyre outside diameter (OD):

Front - 245x35

Back - 285x30

Apparently the changing of specs outside this changes the rolling length of the tyre up to 10%, which will affect speedo, distance travelled on the odometer etc. etc. Basically a lot of negative impact. Its all been explained and debated in depth here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/596424-tire-size-on-stock-09-rims.html 

The downside is that the above also reduces the amount of cushioning from road imperfections, but the upside is a 10-15% larger amount of tyre on the road. Ill be doing the above next tyre change. Without the LSD im squealing tyres all over the shop!

Havent had a chance to read the link youve sent, just skimmed the first page.  Here i was thinking id settle on 265.  275 being a possible but hadnt even considered 285, thats wide as hell lol.  Rolling guards for sure id imagine, dont think ill be that brave to go that wide lol.

Really wanted to keep to 35 vs 30 profile as i drive Parramatta road and the like, those kind of bumpy roads shake like hell on low profile tyres.  On a track would be sweet though.

Ps 285 would look very mean on the road though :-)

RE:  Called Ozzy who said they can fit a 265/30 but not a 35 profile (didn’t recommend it).  Also they said at 265 they would have to roll the guards etc but I thought only at 275 would I need to do this etc.  Guessing at 275 there would be sidewall issues given its width?

I have 265/35 PSS's on the back (and swift springs) no issues.

• Like 1

BLK

Hey i know what you are saying re the STI.  But the MPS is a much better car as a daily driver & MUCH more luxurious. The Subi was a fkn pain in the arse as everyone wanted to race & in the end it was like fark offff. 

With the MPS no one had a clue, until they saw it move. It was a much better choice for us back then family wise. 

Suitability wise with yours 265.35.19 is better. Although others will differ. Check out this

http://www.federaltyres.com/index.php/tyres/ultra-high-performance/595rpm.html

I might fit these next time as the wholesaler we use sells Federal. I had/have Formoza FD2 on the MPS now & they are great grip & wear, dry & wet.

It currently sits on CX9 20`s and has done for the last 5 years & the Feds are great.  

12 hours ago, Sparky said:

Definitely no rolling of guards at 285 as long as you use the right profile tyre :yes:

I will be the test bunny, and considering i have a track day coming up, that may be sooner than later haha!

285 would be great, talk about a wide footprint on the road but i know the profile would be thin.  I just know ill hate 30 profile on the road, i dont want to feel every bump on our crappy roads so ill have to stick to 35 profile.  Either 265 or 275 for me.

Keen to see yours though when you take the plunge for 285 :-)

6 hours ago, Peterkay said:

BLK

Hey i know what you are saying re the STI.  But the MPS is a much better car as a daily driver & MUCH more luxurious. The Subi was a fkn pain in the arse as everyone wanted to race & in the end it was like fark offff. 

With the MPS no one had a clue, until they saw it move. It was a much better choice for us back then family wise. 

Suitability wise with yours 265.35.19 is better. Although others will differ. Check out this

http://www.federaltyres.com/index.php/tyres/ultra-high-performance/595rpm.html

I might fit these next time as the wholesaler we use sells Federal. I had/have Formoza FD2 on the MPS now & they are great grip & wear, dry & wet.

It currently sits on CX9 20`s and has done for the last 5 years & the Feds are great.  

lol i know what you mean about the image of both cars.  My wrx was modified, stood out, gearbox, turbo, water spray injection, wheels, spoiler the lot etc.  I had it for a long time so plenty of time to mod it but i didnt get too much attention until i got personalised plates, then it was game on.  Police constantly pulling me over, every P plater wanted to race etc.  As you say it got real annoying very quick,

Agreed more a hoon than family car.  Ill definitely look into the link you sent.  Looks like a good tyre, not sure about how it compares to the Mich PSS tyres but as said, i dont mind getting something a bit harder but more durable, longer wearing on the road.  Interestingly noticed, 265 and 285 but no 275.  I wouldnt have even thought 285 but after Sparky's post and your link stating 285/35 on a 9.5 inch rim is possible, its now become very tempting.

Also check out this chart

http://www.etyrestore.com.au/tyre_calculator.php

If you compare our original size tyres it gives you an insight on what tyres are suitable without throwing the speed out too far.

In QLD you are allowed 15mm under or over the oem spec tyres overall diameter.

Hope this helps