2011 ISF Coolant Leaks

ISF007

This is my first post and I am hoping you guys might be able to assist or guild me to the right direction, I have had my 2011 ISF for about 6 months its an amazing car and I enjoy it a lot

It has 80,000 Click on the clock and runs really nice, I was replacing new Pad's a week and my mechanic noticed some dry coolant around the Gearbox outer shell and notified me

so we decided to look into it further but unable to locate the leak, I have topped up the coolant a few times but nothing major and have not noticed any leak's where my car is parked every night. From doing some research online a few days ago it seems it might be caused by a leaking heat exchanger and fluid build up in the valley of the block finding it's way to the back of the engine and round the gearbox housing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the issue and how was it resolved, Also perhaps if it's a known issue how can we have Lexus look into the issue as my car is out of manufactures warranty but I do have third party extended warranty.

Thanks

John  

• 1 year later...

Just reviving an old post. I got my car in Chatswood today for the upcoming Lexus Kulnura track day prep, car is getting a host of nice upgrades :)

Sadly Chris told me my MY11 @ 100,000KM has sign of coolant leak at the valley of the V. It's all dried up underneath the car without any dropping, so I could never noticed until the car is raised.

It will be quite a big and costly job estimate 8hrs to get it amended. I had to bite the bullet to get them fix it, especially when I'm about to take the F on track soon.

Anyone else has this issue yet?

On 6/12/2018 at 10:34 PM, kyo said:

Just reviving an old post. I got my car in Chatswood today for the upcoming Lexus "The Farm" track day prep, car is getting a host of nice upgrades :)

Sadly Chris told me my MY11 @ 100,000KM has sign of coolant leak at the valley of the V. It's all dried up underneath the car without any dropping, so I could never noticed until the car is raised.

It will be quite a big and costly job estimate 8hrs to get it amended. I had to bite the bullet to get them fix it, especially when I'm about to take the F on track soon.

Sorry to hear the bad news.  I had a similar leak late last year but fortunately for me it was just the water pump.  It seems like with all ISF's its just a matter of time before we all experience this common issue 😞

3 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Sorry to hear the bad news.  I had a similar leak late last year but fortunately for me it was just the water pump.  It seems like with all ISF's its just a matter of time before we all experience this common issue 😞

Yeh, a bit disappointed mate, replaced worn engine mount during last service and now coolant leak costing big bucks. There goes my tax return.

Watchout guys if your F is getting to high KM.

2 hours ago, kyo said:

Yeh, a bit disappointed mate, replaced worn engine mount during last service and now coolant leak costing big bucks. There goes my tax return.

Reminds me when i heard the infamous ticking noise (OEM gasket on headers).  Anyway good excuse to upgrade to PPE (power and sound).  Only bad thing with the valley leak is fixing it wont gain you better sound or performance 😞

Atleast there are only a few known issues with our cars.  Once fixed you shouldnt have any other major headaches unless you have OEM headers which might be the next thing to go.

4 hours ago, kyo said:

Sorry to hear mate. Did Lexus pick up on the worn engine mounts at the service or did you notice some symptoms and told them about it?

I recently had my starter motor die on me (89k km) - car wasn't really driven much for the past 3 years prior to buying it so that may have contributed to it. Chatswood fixed it by removing one of the headers to replace the starter motor (should have gotten PPE headers installed then but needed the car back on road ASAP). Also had the water pump replaced around 75k km from the previous owner.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, kyo said:

Just reviving an old post. I got my car in Chatswood today for the upcoming Lexus "The Farm" track day prep, car is getting a host of nice upgrades :)

Sorry to hear about the coolant leak & engine mounts.   My ISF was also in at Chatswood on Tuesday, getting her ready for the track.  see you there.  what nice upgrades are you getting?

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, BLK ISF said:

Reminds me when i heard the infamous ticking noise (OEM gasket on headers).  Anyway good excuse to upgrade to PPE (power and sound).  Only bad thing with the valley leak is fixing it wont gain you better sound or performance 😞

Atleast there are only a few known issues with our cars.  Once fixed you shouldnt have any other major headaches unless you have OEM headers which might be the next thing to go.

Yeh, I wasn't expecting much issues with Lexus ownership, I guess it's just my recent bad lucks. Car already has PPE installed, makes great sound indeed but I'm having that issue with PPE header knocking steering shaft at certain turning angle. Apparently this issue is also common reported on the US forum with aftermarket headers. Getting Lexus (Chris) checking into this.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, DO IT said:

Sorry to hear mate. Did Lexus pick up on the worn engine mounts at the service or did you notice some symptoms and told them about it?

I recently had my starter motor die on me (89k km) - car wasn't really driven much for the past 3 years prior to buying it so that may have contributed to it. Chatswood fixed it by removing one of the headers to replace the starter motor (should have gotten PPE headers installed then but needed the car back on road ASAP). Also had the water pump replaced around 75k km from the previous owner.

The worn engine mounts were picked up when I did the transmission flush at TNK auto, I didn't feel anything when driving before. Apparently you can tell under the hook, if you rev the engine and see if it has unusual rocking side to side then you might have a worn mount.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, LTuned said:

Sorry to hear about the coolant leak & engine mounts.   My ISF was also in at Chatswood on Tuesday, getting her ready for Kulnura.  see you there.  what nice upgrades are you getting?

Hey John, saw your car there too. Took a photo for us. See you at Kulnura.

My car is still in Chatswood... 3 days now. Was meant to be a quick track day prep. Installing HKS SSM, Toms Diffuser, RR Catch can & the usual track pads, stainless brake line, racing rims, and running on MPS Cup 2.

Ok I'll start a new post, better not hijack this post :)

Hello William,  looks like a few nice goodies are been installed, it will be good to test them at the track next week, it will be a great day.  I use MPS Cup 2 tyres at the track, they are excellent tyres. 

• 3 months later...

I did not want to wait for the leak to get worse and cause any other issues 

Mind you i must have had it like that for a least a few months its all up to you 

if you drive your car hard or have plans to take on the track i would get it done 

My extended warranty covered the repair bill at first they said no its a leak and they don't cover gasket leaks but then hit up the under writer and they took care of it 

perhaps a good idea to take out extended warranty and then get it done a bit later if the funds are not available 

Company web site is here www.nwc.com.au  hope this helps