• 5 months later...

Here one Ive done a few times. Not sure re highways and snow traffic on P/hols though.

Eastern suburbs to Yea,  Whitfield, Yark, Ruffy, Creightons creek, Longwood East back via Gooram to Merton.

Home via Maroondah hwy, Yark, Alexandria.

Food and loos at, Yea, Yark, Ruffy, Merton, etc

https://goo.gl/maps/r2KDxKPfJB72

18 hours ago, bazzle said:

Here one Ive done a few times. Not sure re highways and snow traffic on P/hols though.

Eastern suburbs to Yea,  Whitfield, Yark, Ruffy, Creightons creek, Longwood East back via Gooram to Merton.

Home via Maroondah hwy, Yark, Alexandria.

Food and loos at, Yea, Yark, Ruffy, Merton, etc

https://goo.gl/maps/r2KDxKPfJB72

I have a soft spot for the route going  from Warburton through Reefton up to Marysville then Black Spur, and vice versa. However, the traffic might be a killer during the public holidays, especially going through Black Spur to Marysville.

The road from Marysville to Lake Mountain is a killer as well, however given the snow season has started, the entry fees will most likely apply to reach the top. Deemed the best driving road in Australia according to Top Gear.

Yeah, I've done a bigger loop on the same route - 

Yarra Gelen - Healesville -> Alexandra -> Mansfield -> Whitfield -> Milawa

Then return partially via the freeway and exit at between Euroa - Broadford depending on traffic. 

Generally not good for long weekends though as the whole section between yea - mansfield is a shocker. 

^ That is a rather long  drive, especially as Mansfield isn't too far off from Mt Buller and that is give or take 300km from Melbourne.

I've never tackled the Great Alpine Road but I heard it's a ripper. Just too damn far and long.

when driving an IS-F there's no such thing as too far :yes:  

I've done great alpine road on my motorbike this Easter - it was awesome; got lucky with some fantastic weather as well. 

It does need an overnight stay though so that you're fresh when you drive/ride that road; stay up in Bright or Omeo and then drive the next day. Well worth it. 

Even the road up from Bright to Hotham and all the way to Omeo is fun. All summer roads though... 

Then from Omeo to Blue Duck/Anglers Rest and the back way into Falls Creek... or continue to Mitta Mitta and Wodonga direction :)

The Whitfield trip is only a few hours each way. No where near the Great Alpine rd.

Better in summertime for both routes but we have driven the back (bitumen) roads north of the Maroondah hwy quite a few times in other club and solo drives.

Great driving road