JesseJ

3IS 350 F SPORT Brake rotors & pads - options?

11 posts in this topic

Happy New Year! Hope you all had great times with your families and with your cars:)

My 350 F Sport is over 40,000km and the brake pads are due for replacement. And the rotors as well, at least the dealer said so.

As I remembered they quoted &800+ for the frond rotors and pads.

I'm now thinking if I should just go aftermarket, for better value, performance, less dust? What are the options here for 3IS F sport? Maybe source from local DBA rotors + EBC pads?

Will aftermarket brakes void warranty? Although I don't see changing brake components could cause anything serious?

I do most of my driving in town, occasionally have 'fun aggressive' driving but never tracked.

Thanks for all your inputs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

DBA rotors and QFM HPX pads.Good street combo and nice progressive pad bite.Make sure you get DBA street series rotors with En-shield(so the hubs don't rust)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony1234 said:

DBA rotors and QFM HPX pads.Good street combo and nice progressive pad bite.Make sure you get DBA street series rotors with En-shield(so the hubs don't rust)

Thanks. What about the T2 slot ones?

Also read some good reviews about Akebono pads. 

Pads are much easier to source from overseas given the light weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T2s would be good for your car.Any pad would be better than the stock pads.They bite well but the dust they produce is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you changing them yourself there is nothing hard about it, if not any GOOD mechanic should only charge you 2 hours to do good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get a local workshop to change them for me. Without the space and proper tools it would be a painful job for me.

I have confirmed the rotor part numbers with DBA. Now just looking where to order.

Still choosing pads..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went T2's with the standard updated low dust pad's,  i found it too hard to track down a pad locally and i was on the indicators so i needed them right away. i ended up getting the pads for just over $100 and the disks for like $350, Lexus Parra wantd $800 to swap them... i got it all done at a local brake shop for less then $550

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good price $100 labour as it should be for a straight rotor pad swap. I can change them in less than an hour so a brake shop would be even quicker. But the 40 years of training helps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the guy i went to was great, he did all the leg work for me chasing disks and pad as at the time DBA didnt have them in stock, he had trouble finding a suitable performance street pad for me and when i mentioned the price of the stock pad we both agreed spending 2.5 - 3 times the price on a "performance" pad was just not worth it on a car which for me is just a family/daily driver... if i were tracking it then sure spend the extra but i think the standard pads on the is350 work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vukie said:

i went T2's with the standard updated low dust pad's,  i found it too hard to track down a pad locally and i was on the indicators so i needed them right away. i ended up getting the pads for just over $100 and the disks for like $350, Lexus Parra wantd $800 to swap them... i got it all done at a local brake shop for less then $550

$350 for two front T2's is what I got quoted too.

Anyone has experience with Akebono pads?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2017 at 1:35 PM, Vukie said:

the guy i went to was great, he did all the leg work for me chasing disks and pad as at the time DBA didnt have them in stock, he had trouble finding a suitable performance street pad for me and when i mentioned the price of the stock pad we both agreed spending 2.5 - 3 times the price on a "performance" pad was just not worth it on a car which for me is just a family/daily driver... if i were tracking it then sure spend the extra but i think the standard pads on the is350 work just fine.

Hi Vukie, did you do the front or the rear? Have you noticed rust on the inner edges of your DBA rotors? Although the overall diameter is the same, DBA rotors have more inner surface (about 1cm comparing to OEM's) where the pads can never touch. I was told by both my mechanic and DBA Australia that this is normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now