Hi, I've noticed this for a while but couldn't confirm this until recently.

I've always drooled/look with envy at neighbouring cars and just how bright their lowbeams are, especially when compared with mine. In particular, the new mercs seem to have really wide firing beams that really lights up the road. I thought it was just because of cheapo headlights (I did get them off eBay).

I've been trying new headlights here and there, and recently bought two set of 55w x 2 LED headlights - a pair for my 9005 highs, and a pair for my H11 lows. It was up at this stage that I realized just how bright these headlights were, and just how much light was lost in the projector housing. I was coming from a drive back from Wollongong last night and I was overtaking the leading Mazda with highbeams on. As I overtook him, he passed the baton for me to activate my high beams, and even I was shocked at how stupidly bright these lights were.

Now both headlights are practically identical - the same brand and power - the only difference is the fittings that I ordered. The final amount of light I get from the projector lens is disappointing to say the least. I'd hazard a guess that it's probably dimmer than a stock set of 35W HID's. It was certainly only a fraction of the light that I was getting from the reflector housing on my highbeams.

Is this a normal occurrence, and is there a way to improve the situation?

LED output are much lower than HIDs.

Also your Low beams are specifically designed for HID bulbs and High beams are designed for a halogen bulb which also add to your problem.

The discharge of light from your LED bulbs are not optimised in the housings therefore increasing brightness but losing lumen.

10 hours ago, plankton007 said:

LED output are much lower than HIDs.

Also your Low beams are specifically designed for HID bulbs and High beams are designed for a halogen bulb which also add to your problem.

The discharge of light from your LED bulbs are not optimised in the housings therefore increasing brightness but losing lumen.

Actually, my led bulbs definitely produced more light than HIDs from what I observed. I even swapped my ryobi HID light with a spare 25w led and it was way brighter. 

What I mean to say is that the light coming from my projector housing, regardless of HID or LED, is dimmer than stock HIDs coming from other cars on the road. At least from my conversation anyway. Thought something might be wrong with the housing.