I picked up my 2010 IS250 from the dealer a few days ago and have been enjoying every bit of it ever since. The only thing that has been bugging me is the stiffness of the steering. I used to previously drive a Camry and a Forester and the steering on the IS250 is far stiffer than any of those. It's almost as stiff as a mate's Z4 that I drove. It's not overly stiff but not overly loose either. I just didn't expect it to be this stiff.

Found plenty of threads like this on different forums and suggestions were ranging from checking the tire pressure, alignment, etc etc. I've seen one thread (here) where the power steering ECU had to be replaced. I've read posts where drivers have had power steering failures. I just don't want to be in a situation where I'm doing 110km/hr down the highway and have it fail on me.

Just wondering, where do I start troubleshooting? I can take it to a mechanic to check the alignment and also have an official Lexus dealer check it out but considering the dealer (non-Lexus) has put on a 3-month/1500km warranty on it, do they actually chase up on this?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, bazzle said:

As you stated. Did you check tyre pressure?

Yep, have filled the front to 35 and the rear to 38 as per the manual.

I've just had a couple of mates look at it (they know cars a lot more than I do) and was told it was normal although a little stiff but not overly stiff and nothing of concern. Perhaps it's just me getting used to a RWD car?

if you think the is250 has stiff steering youll hate the is350 and the isf steering

is250 steering wheels is very light compared to rest of the 2IS line up

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 1:14 PM, ilv1004s said:

if you think the is250 has stiff steering youll hate the is350 and the isf steering

is250 steering wheels is very light compared to rest of the 2IS line up

also to add to this: a camry is front wheel drive, a forester is all wheel drive. your is250 is rear wheel drive, so it will handle and behave differently. i have a 350 and find the steering wheel fine, however thru work and personal life i get to drive many cars so it doesnt come as a shock. you should try driving a golf r. even on its normal setting, it was even heavier than the is350 is