Hi guys,

Looking for a new car and came across this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-IS250-2007/OAG-AD-14652112/?Cr=3

Looks decently priced at about $15k for the KM's even though the rego is expiry next month. The seller listed as a Sports version however, and from what i've read here Sports versions have leather seats. But seats do not look like the other alacantra seats i have seen in other Sports models. I am a bit hesitate the seller may have listed incorrectly and it is missing other Sports features such as Xenon lights etc. 

Thanks for any help.

its not a sports its a presteige with sunroof options its worth 9-10 max

this top is covers everything that you would want to know

please do a search before posting in the future

thanks

13 minutes ago, ilv1004s said:

its not a sports its a presteige with sunroof options its worth 9-10 max

this top is covers everything that you would want to know

please do a search before posting in the future

thanks

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i did have a read of the topic before posting, which is what confused me more. 

So you think the dealer is trying to pass off a prestige as a sports? Are there any other differences you can see that i can use against them as i will be viewing it again sometime next week.

Thanks.

That 4th picture is of a different car haha.

It's definitely a Prestige. You can see that the bumper has no Headlight washers which means the car has Halogens as opposed to HIDs. HIDs came standard on all Sports models. This is further emphasised by the dial on the right hand side of photo 8. This is the headlight leveling adjuster than only halogen models come with. HID models come with auto headlight leveling. This plus leather seats and no alcantara points toward Prestige. Sports come with 18" wheels and you can see this is running on 16s. No X badge on fender means it's not an X and a Prestige with sunroof option. 

It's got low kms but it's not worth 15k. You can pick up a much better deal, such as a Sports Luxury, for 15k and these engines last a while. I would check service history as well and revs in casr it has been clocked.

Also check if it has cooled seats. Sports models don't have cooled seats and only heated. Sports models also have electronically adjustable steering identified by a little squarish knob on the left side of the steering column just under the left window wiper stalk. If it doesn't have that it means the steering is manually adjusted by a lever on the bottom of the steering column. Sports and Sports Luxury models both have electronically adjustable steering while Prestige is manually adjusted by said lever.

14 minutes ago, plankton007 said:

That 4th picture is of a different car haha.

It's definitely a Prestige. You can see that the bumper has no Headlight washers which means the car has Halogens as opposed to HIDs. HIDs came standard on all Sports models. This is further emphasised by the dial on the right hand side of photo 8. This is the headlight leveling adjuster than only halogen models come with. HID models come with auto headlight leveling. This plus leather seats and no alcantara points toward Prestige. Sports come with 18" wheels and you can see this is running on 16s. No X badge on fender means it's not an X and a Prestige with sunroof option. 

It's got low kms but it's not worth 15k. You can pick up a much better deal, such as a Sports Luxury, for 15k and these engines last a while. I would check service history as well and revs in casr it has been clocked.

Also check if it has cooled seats. Sports models don't have cooled seats and only heated. Sports models also have electronically adjustable steering identified by a little squarish knob on the left side of the steering column just under the left window wiper stalk. If it doesn't have that it means the steering is manually adjusted by a lever on the bottom of the steering column. Sports and Sports Luxury models both have electronically adjustable steering while Prestige is manually adjusted by said lever.

Thanks mate, you definitely saved me with this.

How can you tell the car has 16's just from pictures?

Yeah i went to view it last week, but i didn't know those other differences. Very good to know for the future though.

Cheers.

If you've looked at these cars long enough you'll also be able to tell haha

Also they look different

$_35.JPG

16" Prestige

2006-lexus-is-250-4-door-sport-sedan-aut

18" Sports.

Note: The 18" Sports wheels are on the IS350, hence, the bigger brakes.

What happens if someone buys a car advertised as a Sports Luxury and it's a Prestige/F-Sport (like most are advertised on carsales)? Isn't that false advertising? 

I'd imagine they could feign ignorance (whether they know or not). To many of those who don't know these cars it is quite difficult to differentiate the models and most can't be bothered googling.