Help!!! Looking at purchasing a Lexus ISF 2012 Model. Your Advise / Comments would be appreciated

Hi guys

I have managed to find a Lexus ISF that I like. Can you help with the following questions?

Build Date December 2012, Compliance January 2013. Does this mean, on the door sticker, it will state January 2013? Does this classify the car as a 2013 model?

The ISF I have found is 1 owner, 1 driver, 69K on clock, no accidents, non smoker, no finance attached, mature owner (just retired, mid 60's), just had gutter rash repaired professionally, paint work immaculate, no mods to car, just had front brakes and rotors replaced (Genuine Lexus) I was advised this cost 4K. I've been told even though it states Lexus, they are actually Brembo. New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres all around. Genuine reason for selling, seller has purchased a D-Max and is now into off road motor bikes!

The only fault I found (if you can call it a fault) that it has not been serviced by Lexus from new as the owner lives 1 1/2 hours out of Sydney CBD. It has been serviced by a local mechanical shop called Terrigal Mechanical - www.terrigalmechanical.com.au What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Also, seller has advised only fault he has found with this car is the front inside of the tyres wear faster than normal. He has had it looked at numerous time, and have improved it, but he tells me this particular model of Lexus, being the ISF, is designed for tracks, and it's an inherited fault. Again, what are your thoughts?

If I was to consider purchasing this car, I would organize VIP Automotive Solutions to do a full inspection, 11 page report, with photos (I am in Perth, seller is 1 1/2 hours out of Sydney CBD)

If report looked good, next step would be to freight vehicle to Perth, in a fully enclosed car transporter.

I would love to hear from the members of this club, with there thoughts and advise, good or bad.

Cheers

Sam

A December 2012 is an MY13.  Which is good as you'll have Bluetooth audio playback.

The car does have a bit of stance from factory and will wear the inside of your tyres.  That part is true.

Brembos can be expensive to replace, but $4K?  Sounds a bit rich to me, others thoughts.

Ring Lexus and ask for a check for any recalls outstanding, you'll need his VIN.

Regarding servicing, its just oil changes until he gets to the around 75,000kms.  So the next service for you will probably be over a grand.  Not too much to worry about but this is why I always get a Lexus stamp, resale value folks.

Have a full report done, it will probably include a compression test and tell you if this cars had a rough life.  And being rural (assumed this because he's 1 1/2 hr from a Lexus dealer) the paint condition may be pretty poor on closer inspection.

All the best and send us pics!

I believe the inner tyre wear is able to be reduced by a proper alignment 0-1mm and front inner rear bush change to prevent dynamic toeing out.

On Euro cars Ive had, Merc SLK, Audi , VW R series they did the same esp on the rear. 

Each car was expertly aligned and I fitted Michelin PS3's to each one. Issues were then negligible.

The Michelins PS3's (and now PS4's?)apparently handle any scrub better than others.

I have done the above to my IS350. I also now have the harder bushes to go in soon.

Hi Howiefied and Bazzle

Thank you for your prompt messages and help. I really appreciate it. If anyone else has comments, please feel free to share.

If I end up purchasing vehicle, I will post some pics :)

Bazzle, I will keep this in mind. Also, the harder bushes may be the final solution.

Howiefied, I'll definitely get the vin number. Great idea. Regarding the 4K for the Brembo's, my guess is the owner would have had this done at his local mechanic. Possibly the

mechanic rattled off that price. Always sounds better when you hand over the bill! Either that or he's pulling my leg? He didn't sound like the type though.

Great news about the Bluetooth. I did read somewhere on this website about this. I also read you can not change the song/title from the Lexus head unit. You have to do

this with your phone? Is this true? Pity if so as they are hammering people in Perth right now regarding mobile use when driving. Big fines.

75K service. That is good to know.  Not a big stress, but always nice knowing before purchasing a car.

With regards to the report, the company I am considering (VIP) charges $395. This includes a full 11 page report, 300+ points, full set of photo's.  It takes the inspector 2 hours to complete. Obvious things like test driving vehicle, they check the paint work, tyres, alloys,  structural rust and damage, interior condition, full engine and drivetrain. They also supply a free valuation (I'm guessing this is an estimate) and also the inspectors phone number so you can call him after the inspection is done to discuss further.

I have another question. I used to own a Lexus IS 350 F Sport, 2012 (Build date was Jan 12 from memory) This had folding side mirrors when locking/unlocking of car.

I read somewhere on this website, this is not the case for the Lexus ISF. Is this true? I have also read, but not sure where, you can do a mod so the mirrors fold automatically. The last thing I want to do is have to press the button inside the car every time I park. That won't happen for long!

38 minutes ago, ich1ban said:

Full brake disc/pad replacements on the ISF cost $4500 from a Lexus dealership, had them done a year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation Ich1ban. From memory, the seller told me he only just replaced the front discs and pads.

Not sure about the rear pads but I'm guessing he would have done them as well. Was $4500 for all four discs and pads?

17 hours ago, Howiefied said:

A December 2012 is an MY13.  Which is good as you'll have Bluetooth audio playback.

The car does have a bit of stance from factory and will wear the inside of your tyres.  That part is true.

Brembos can be expensive to replace, but $4K?  Sounds a bit rich to me, others thoughts.

Ring Lexus and ask for a check for any recalls outstanding, you'll need his VIN.

Regarding servicing, its just oil changes until he gets to the around 75,000kms.  So the next service for you will probably be over a grand.  Not too much to worry about but this is why I always get a Lexus stamp, resale value folks.

Have a full report done, it will probably include a compression test and tell you if this cars had a rough life.  And being rural (assumed this because he's 1 1/2 hr from a Lexus dealer) the paint condition may be pretty poor on closer inspection.

All the best and send us pics!

Still learning. I have replied to your message

Hi Sam, no the ISF mirrors don't fold in automatically, that was something I missed coming from the IS250.  There is a mod that can be purchased from these forums though.

Regarding Bluetooth title, yes that's correct it only provides streaming.  But you can operate the play/pause/forward/back controls.  I usually have a Spotify playlist so it doesn't bother me too much.

20 hours ago, Sam G said:

The only fault I found (if you can call it a fault) that it has not been serviced by Lexus from new as the owner lives 1 1/2 hours out of Sydney CBD. It has been serviced by a local mechanical shop called Terrigal Mechanical - www.terrigalmechanical.com.au What is everyone's thoughts on this?

an oil change is an oil change, regardless if lexus does it or the bloke down the road. 

35 minutes ago, water said:

an oil change is an oil change, regardless if lexus does it or the bloke down the road. 

Hi Water, fair comment. Before receiving Howiefied's message I didn't know it was just oil changes. If I was to purchase this particular vehicle, I would do the next service with Lexus as it sounds like a major, plus it wouldn't hurt to have it plugged into there computers to check over 😊

2 hours ago, Howiefied said:

Hi Sam, no the ISF mirrors don't fold in automatically, that was something I missed coming from the IS250.  There is a mod that can be purchased from these forums though.

Regarding Bluetooth title, yes that's correct it only provides streaming.  But you can operate the play/pause/forward/back controls.  I usually have a Spotify playlist so it doesn't bother me too much.

Hi Howiefied

I would miss the auto folding mirrors. Is it a auto sparky job to fit the mod or plug and play? I'm a sparky by trade but I find our wiring to be a lot simpler compared to automotive.

I could live with the Bluetooth setup. Did this model of ISF have a hard drive to upload music? Am I pushing my luck? 

Hi Sam G, ive had my ISF for about 1.5 yrs now.  Prior to purchasing i got a similar report done indicating areas of concern for the paint, interior, engine, performance etc so yes its for peace of mind.  They looked at the paint thickness, possible damges/repairs/variances in paint to indicate prior repairs etc.

Seller didnt mind having to wait around for this to be done as he knew i was serious and would purchase pending the outcome of that report but i was fortunate to test drive it as well unlike yourself as its an interstate car.  Overall they are great cars though and well engineered.

As others mentioned, easy mod to do but you'll be surprised that its quite easy to just press the button for folded mirrors.  My previous car did this automatically with the alarm, i thought like you but 18 months later, its a piece cake and i dont forget, its just an automatic thing i do like releasing the handbrake when driving off.

The dont mind the audio quality from the ML system but yes its outdated in terms of features.  There are several options to retain the standard look with the double din but use products like Navtool which allows mirroring of the phone to the screen including google maps etc.  Also VLine GROM which allows Android Auto etc.  There has been a few recalls for cooling fan screws and airbag and on the inside of the drivers door pillar area you'll see the stamp if its done.

As for brakes i dont track the car so went with Slotted DBA's for replacements as many else have done.  Didnt want cross drilled again.  Also the OEM pads are horrible for brake dust so went with Project MU's specific for the ISF.  Again many have done this and they are great for street use and create a lot less brake dust which is a big thing.  No brake squeal either, well not yet but its been a while lol.  I got my pads for about $160 and the discs (front only at the time) for about $400 then there is labour to fit pending where you get this done so a little over 1k is possible.

Oil change, well yes its the same as other cars besides using about 9.5 to 10Lts but any qualifie mechanic can do this however a point to consider.  Everyone is different and for some people, having the car serviced always by Lexus will increase its potential to be sold in the future.  Im not fussed as long as the servicing is existent and the car is mechanically sound but some people will be turned off if its not serviced by Lexus, just saying.  Obviously servicing elsewhere will save you a fair bit of $ upfront.

Being the newer model unlike mine you get the LSD as well which is much better for traction.

Youve done your research so you already know what a car the ISF is but yes i can confirm its a great, reliable, performance luxury car.  Bit of a sleeper as the whole "F" thing confuses people.  People will think youre driving a 4 or 6 cyl as there is no badging such as 5.0 or V8 but those in the know will know from the bulging hood, quad stacked tips etc.  Get an exhaust to hear the great engine roar and you'll constantly be driving in manual mode to hear the downshift bleeps which never gets old lol.

Good luck with it.

If you purchase and you want the Lexus stamp in the book just get a minor service performed at a dealer to add the continuity again.

Good luck. I wanted an ISF but funds didnt allow :(

18 hours ago, Howiefied said:

It will require a little splicing for the auto fold mirror mod but the instructions are clear.

No hard drive music player.

Thanks Howiefied. I found the listing.

8 hours ago, bazzle said:

If you purchase and you want the Lexus stamp in the book just get a minor service performed at a dealer to add the continuity again.

Good luck. I wanted an ISF but funds didnt allow :(

Great idea Bazzle. I have previously driven a few different types of vehicles (Ford EL XR8, Toyota Hilux 2010 SR5, Lexus IS350 F Sport 2012, Audi S3 Sedan 2015)

I have to admit, my favourite was the Lexus. Although the Audi was a great car, it wasn't comfortable. I felt like a race boy. Suspension was garbage, even though it had the magnetic ride. I remember when I purchase the IS350, I looked at the ISF but didn't dare take it for a drive as I knew I would have been hooked!

9 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Hi Sam G, ive had my ISF for about 1.5 yrs now.  Prior to purchasing i got a similar report done indicating areas of concern for the paint, interior, engine, performance etc so yes its for peace of mind.  They looked at the paint thickness, possible damges/repairs/variances in paint to indicate prior repairs etc.

Seller didnt mind having to wait around for this to be done as he knew i was serious and would purchase pending the outcome of that report but i was fortunate to test drive it as well unlike yourself as its an interstate car.  Overall they are great cars though and well engineered.

As others mentioned, easy mod to do but you'll be surprised that its quite easy to just press the button for folded mirrors.  My previous car did this automatically with the alarm, i thought like you but 18 months later, its a piece cake and i dont forget, its just an automatic thing i do like releasing the handbrake when driving off.

The dont mind the audio quality from the ML system but yes its outdated in terms of features.  There are several options to retain the standard look with the double din but use products like Navtool which allows mirroring of the phone to the screen including google maps etc.  Also VLine GROM which allows Android Auto etc.  There has been a few recalls for cooling fan screws and airbag and on the inside of the drivers door pillar area you'll see the stamp if its done.

As for brakes i dont track the car so went with Slotted DBA's for replacements as many else have done.  Didnt want cross drilled again.  Also the OEM pads are horrible for brake dust so went with Project MU's specific for the ISF.  Again many have done this and they are great for street use and create a lot less brake dust which is a big thing.  No brake squeal either, well not yet but its been a while lol.  I got my pads for about $160 and the discs (front only at the time) for about $400 then there is labour to fit pending where you get this done so a little over 1k is possible.

Oil change, well yes its the same as other cars besides using about 9.5 to 10Lts but any qualifie mechanic can do this however a point to consider.  Everyone is different and for some people, having the car serviced always by Lexus will increase its potential to be sold in the future.  Im not fussed as long as the servicing is existent and the car is mechanically sound but some people will be turned off if its not serviced by Lexus, just saying.  Obviously servicing elsewhere will save you a fair bit of $ upfront.

Being the newer model unlike mine you get the LSD as well which is much better for traction.

Youve done your research so you already know what a car the ISF is but yes i can confirm its a great, reliable, performance luxury car.  Bit of a sleeper as the whole "F" thing confuses people.  People will think youre driving a 4 or 6 cyl as there is no badging such as 5.0 or V8 but those in the know will know from the bulging hood, quad stacked tips etc.  Get an exhaust to hear the great engine roar and you'll constantly be driving in manual mode to hear the downshift bleeps which never gets old lol.

Good luck with it.

Hi Blk ISF. Thanks for your detailed post. The detailed inspection is money well spent I feel.  The exhaust is the first thing I will be doing. I saw a 2011 ISF white for sale not long ago on carsales, with a X-force varex full stainless steel catback exhaust with remote on/off. The seller stated it was $2000 fitted and sounded amazing when valve opened. I actually like the sound of that idea. Thoughts?

I think my biggest problem will be finding people in Perth that I can trust to do work like this. Might have to drop a message in this forum if I end up with a ISF.

I actually have that exhaust, the XForce varex.  I leave for work early so wanted to keep the peace with the neighbours lol.  Initially i had some wiring issues so it kept blowing fuses (10 or 15amp) cant remember exact size.  After about the second visit back to the workshop, they traced the wiring, fixed the issue and that was March last yr.  So no big deal really.  4 months ago all of a sudden one motor on the passenger muffle wasnt responding.  Permanently open.  Again back to the workshop and without fuss, changed the motor and working great since.  Despite this im happy with it as i open/close it every morning when leaving the house and its quiet, a little quieter than stock as its more closed.  Then for the remainder of the day its open.

90db is the limit, it sounds loud but yet mine was about 92db.  My WRX was about 96db so surprised the ISF didnt record a higher number.  With the remote i can close it quick if i need it to be quiet and not attract attention.

I was fortunate and got it fitted at the Xforce head office here in Sydney.  I paid $1800 supplied/fitted.  They have the blue tooth module now so you have more control options and can do so via the phone but that costs more and for me, it was more gimmicks.  End of the day its open or closed, i dont need it 30%, 40%, 50%, 60% open etc lol.

It turns heads and sounds great, you wont be disappointed.  Contact Xforce direct, Daniel or Dean was helpful with me.  They'll advise whose a stockist/fitter where you are.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:00 PM, Howiefied said:

It will require a little splicing for the auto fold mirror mod but the instructions are clear.

No hard drive music player.

Hi Howiefied, I have another question, sorry for breaking them! Does your ISF side mirrors dip when you put the vehicle into reverse? I remember my 2012 is350 f sport.  I really liked that feature. 

1 hour ago, BLK ISF said:

I actually have that exhaust, the XForce varex.  I leave for work early so wanted to keep the peace with the neighbours lol.  Initially i had some wiring issues so it kept blowing fuses (10 or 15amp) cant remember exact size.  After about the second visit back to the workshop, they traced the wiring, fixed the issue and that was March last yr.  So no big deal really.  4 months ago all of a sudden one motor on the passenger muffle wasnt responding.  Permanently open.  Again back to the workshop and without fuss, changed the motor and working great since.  Despite this im happy with it as i open/close it every morning when leaving the house and its quiet, a little quieter than stock as its more closed.  Then for the remainder of the day its open.

90db is the limit, it sounds loud but yet mine was about 92db.  My WRX was about 96db so surprised the ISF didnt record a higher number.  With the remote i can close it quick if i need it to be quiet and not attract attention.

I was fortunate and got it fitted at the Xforce head office here in Sydney.  I paid $1800 supplied/fitted.  They have the blue tooth module now so you have more control options and can do so via the phone but that costs more and for me, it was more gimmicks.  End of the day its open or closed, i dont need it 30%, 40%, 50%, 60% open etc lol.

It turns heads and sounds great, you wont be disappointed.  Contact Xforce direct, Daniel or Dean was helpful with me.  They'll advise whose a stockist/fitter where you are.

Awesome help! Thanks for the lead. I agree about the Bluetooth. Just another thing to go wrong. Very nice feature tho regarding the valve. I'll def look into it. The faults you had concerns me a bit but I'm guessing it was covered under warranty? 

Yep all under warranty.  The wiring part was an easy enough thing to happen, cutting out near the rear.  That was fixed easily.  The motor part was annoying but again, these things happen and fixed without issue and touch wood, been working great ever since.  Besides my time going back there, it was never an issue and they fixed/looked at the car n no problem.

1 hour ago, Sam G said:

Hi Howiefied, I have another question, sorry for breaking them! Does your ISF side mirrors dip when you put the vehicle into reverse? I remember my 2012 is350 f sport.  I really liked that feature. 

Hey Sam, yep it has the side dip feature on reverse.

10 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Yep all under warranty.  The wiring part was an easy enough thing to happen, cutting out near the rear.  That was fixed easily.  The motor part was annoying but again, these things happen and fixed without issue and touch wood, been working great ever since.  Besides my time going back there, it was never an issue and they fixed/looked at the car n no problem.

That's a positive. Let's hope after all the help I've received from you guys the inspection comes back good. I'll keep everyone posted 😁