Gday all.

Gday

Having come from owning an Audi A4 B5 and a Golf Mk5 GTI (heavily modified), I finally cracked it with reliability issues. Now even though i am into modifying vehicles, I do not expect components to fail such as,,,wiring harnesses issues such as insulation to break and cause electrical shorts and failures. Door locking mechanisms (every single door) to fail such as circuit-boards cracking and soldering joints breaking apart. Consistent light bulb shorts due to earthing issues, and being HID globes, the ridiculous costs associated with replacement. CV boots failing after only 3 years. Digital instrument displays loosing pixels. and on and on and on......

So after deciding I would like a luxury car but with a bit of oomph off the lights, and something that will not let me throw money into modifying (now have a baby so priorities and all that, I decided to go NA. Oh and the big thing RELIABILITY

Nothing German that is second hand and below $25,000 fit this pre-requisite. BMW, AUDI, MB all seem to have some serious issues, whether it be HPFP, Turbo failures, gearbox issues, electrical issues, engine bearing problems.

So no more German cars for me.

While researching Lexus, I was astounded by the reliability and almost lack of issues on the forums. The quality and fit and finish of the cars I inspected. And the performance from that sweet V6 3.5L.

So I was sold.

Bought a 2011 IS350 and really enjoy the drive. So far, absolutely nothing wrong with it, for a 6 year old car I am astounded.

welcome... These cars are quite reliable, I think Toyota uses bin parts which have least amount of issues from the other cars they make... 

Interesting about the Audi - I had a A4 B7 and never had any issues with it - it was a 2L Turbo S-line; and I used to give it a lot of juice from the right foot.  The only thing I had to replace on it was the driver's side window regulator which I strongly suspect was because of a really bad 20k drive on rough terrain which I should have turned back instead of attempting.  The plastic housing broke and only option was to replace the whole unit - since no one makes these small parts anymore. 

Welcome!

If you are in VIC, head over to Club Lexus VIC. These forums tend to be on the quiet side, especially if you came from your VAG or other Euro forums, where users are quite frequent. Just a different sector of the market Lexus is in, whereas other manufacturer's have their products targeted at the younger or livelier enthusiasts.

VAG cars tend to be super unreliable. I had 4 mates who owned Polo GTIs, Golf GTIs, Skoda Oct & Fabia RS's, all of them either burned 1L of oil per 1,000kms, or just broke down in general. So you're not alone. Most of the peeps who own their euro performance cars tend to keep quite about the amount of crap that breaks down, turn a blind eye to it and pretend it's all good. But they know their wallets aren't good!

Enjoy your 2IS 350. A sleeper car imo. 0-100 in 5.4secs given summer road conditions. 0-100 means nothing, but 5.4s to 5.6s is impressive for an NA V6

Have fun!