Hi All,

With all of the news floating around with the Takata Airbag fatality, I have followed up Lexus in relation to the replacement program for Takata Airbags in our cars.  My airbag was replaced in May as part of the Australian recall, but the advice seems to be that many of the replacement airbags are also faulty,

The advice that Lexus provided me was:

• The primary risk to the original faulty airbags was age - the older the airbag, the more likely the problem.
  • They will continue their existing airbag replacement program as the priority
  • Around 2019 they plan to implement a second recall program that aims to replace any Takata Airbag that was installed as part of the first (existing) replacement program.
  • I would be contacted at the time of the second program should my May 2017 replacement have used a Takata Airbag.

Please check for yourself if you are worried about your Airbag ... hope this helps!

Cheers,

David

so, their replacing a faulty airbag, with a newer (still faulty) version? this sounds highly unlikely, considering the size of this recall. keep in mind the cost of the parts + labor to do this, no company would want to undertake it twice 

It has been said that in some cases manufacturers are replacing the faulty units with the same make and type to mitigate the immediate risk. The ACCC make mention of this in their FAQ's on the Takata recall;

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/news/faqs-on-takata-airbag-recalls#some-airbags-are-being-replaced-by-the-same-types-of-airbag-i-m-concerned-about-the-safety-of-my-replacement-airbags-as-i-ve-heard-they-may-degrade-over-time-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, water said:

so, their replacing a faulty airbag, with a newer (still faulty) version? this sounds highly unlikely, considering the size of this recall. keep in mind the cost of the parts + labor to do this, no company would want to undertake it twice 

Agreed - and while Tasweb has linked to the ACCC, I believe that it may have been a Choice (consumer) investigation that lead to this being uncovered -> https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/general/articles/takata-airbags-what-you-need-to-know-in-australia-230717#like for like

You are more than welcome to call Lexus yourself and ask to validate the above: 1800 023 009, and option 3 (if you live in Victoria, like me), but there are absolutely loads of press about this. Lexus themselves apologised to me (after following up 5 times) for taking so long with a response, and explained that they had been overwhelmed by the number of enquiries following the death of a man in Sydney whose car (a Honda) was subject to the recall but the fellow had ignored the notice.

And not to put too finer point on it, rather than just do a simple Google query (takes a fraction of a second) and check for yourself, you've dismissed it out of hand.

Ignorance in these matters can be life threatening as the fellow with the Honda has regrettably proven to be the case.

Usually a silver sticker on the door frame on the driver's side.

Should be stamped with a date and Code.

Usually you'll get a letter if you haven't had it done or you can chase them up by quoting your VIN at a dealership.

Recall Sticker.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 9:58 AM, plankton007 said:

Usually a silver sticker on the door frame on the driver's side.

Should be stamped with a date and Code.

Usually you'll get a letter if you haven't had it done or you can chase them up by quoting your VIN at a dealership.

Recall Sticker.jpg

Same silver sticker was used when the fuel pressure regulator recall was performed, so isn't a guarantee that the airbags have been replaced.

Best to give Lexus as call, as their records will indicate what has been done based on VIN.