I was reading a post on the UK forum about how some owners have experienced 'clunkyness' in the 1st to 2nd gear change. My old IS had this for 5 years and I just got used to it, thought it was the box...I felt that this was confirmed when my new IS had the same sh*ty 1st to 2nd gear change.

Do any other manual IS200 owners know what I'm talking about? It's like the sincro is not quite right or on the way out....Is there anything that can be done? My baby is due for a service in a few thousand kilometers so I'll probably ask Mr Lexus then <_<

I've got the same "clunky" problem too, but I've noticed it does get a bit better after driving around for about 20 mins or so.

I was told it was because I was not pushing the clutch in hard enough, but everyone who drives my car has the same problem, so guess its just a Lexus/Altezza thing!

Just purchased a 98 Altezza Signature Class vehicle 6 weeks ago, at time of purchase they realised it had sum kind of shudder in the rear.

Toyota said it was the gearbox and that it seems to be a fault with all Altezza Jap imports.

Mine was the fifth that they were aware of, and no remedy has been found yet to fix. So they have replaced with a Lexus gearbox the other day just waiting to get the car back to try it out.

Will let u know what i find with the Lexus gear box.

stephen :(

me too! I usally go from 1st to neutral and then second to get around it but its very slow driving like that. No problems when accelerating hard and changing gear but cant take off like that all the time.

you just get used to it

I dont know about the shuddering but my car sometimes makes a noise in the rear when slowing down or taking the revs off, not that bad really but it went away after having my new wheels fitted and has returned now that I got a wheel alignement!

all cars have stuff wrong with them I guess altezza's are lucky that apart from those problems they are wicked to drive in.

yeah mine has a noise when decelerating and in a high gear 6th,5th and sometimes 4th.

I think its from the diff

yeah im sure its the diff aswell!!

and i think it must be something to do with the rear wheel alignment as I reckon it went away after 12 months but when going for a wheel alignment they told me I had real bad toe from th erear wheels, after fixing it the diff noise came back, coinsidence! I think not.

Hey guys

Yeah I got that Highspeed driveline vibration as well from in 6th 5th and sumtimes 4th, I am guessing that it is just resonating at a certern rpm in the drive line, I havn't had a look yet but maybe a rebalence of the driveshaft may fix it. The clunking of first and second is also apparent in my box, nothing to worry about though as once the gearbag warms up the shift quietens dwn abit, trust me its nothin, if you want to hear a noisy gearbox you should hear the one in my truck when it's cold.

Shannon

...and don't forget the exhaust resonance at 3000rpm when decelerating....

Are you guys sure this is not one of the noises from the diff?

keith

wow, i have the same problem! i thought i was only me. the sound goes from the bass growl to a high pitched "hawk" sound for a moment right? i didn't realize this was a common problem. :angry:

I had the stock box in and experience that same problem of shifting between 1st and 2nd. one thing i noticed was that when ever i shift hard i didnt feel it. and as they say once the car get warm enough the problems doesnt exist.

i change my box to the TRD close ratio box, problem still existed, so i have come to the conlcusion that it is probably not a problem afterall but a design method with the altezza boxes. my friends say they all feel the same prob, infact my mechanic dont even feel it, the way he is used to it. he is like " ohh thats a regular, get used to it, wont do u no harm :)...i sometimes wonder if he on crack ..LOL )

Hi everyone:

I have experienced the same as u guys! 1st to 2nd I can feel the cluck. sometimes even 2nd to 3rd. I thought the sound is a bit similar to F355's 6MT.

I have driven other manual IS200s, seems to be the same.

So I guess it is just a commont thing among all IS200 's 6MT box.

I also noticed that the exhaust is at the loudest when at 3000rpm (6MT)

I have testdriven an IS200 with aftermarket intake(pod) + magnum exhaust pipe. Gee, the resonating noise was terrible at 3000rpm. so on the freeway, I either have to drive 95kmh or 105kmh with 6th to avoid the ear ache.

I still got stock pipe for my IS 200 now. :)

SSML

• 2 weeks later...

Took two and a half weeks to get my wheels back, but they back on the road at long last.

They replaced my box with new Lexus 6sp. watch out they told me it was $8000 worth ( dont DICK your box! )

Once they did that they still had vibration in the rear of my car, after mucking around and not knowing what the hell they were doing, Manukau City Toyota eventually worked out it was the flywheel.

Now I have a new box and SECOND HAND flywheel (the prats), it runs sweet as. It is a lil hard changing gears at low revs but piece of cake at the higher end.

The pedals still have a vibration, natural resonance it will be!

Gotta LUV these cars ay!

Stephen

I also have the cold shift prob,I changed the gearbox oil to a good castrol grade which seems to have helped a little.I have bad bad vibration in the rear when slowing down in most gears around the 3000rpm mark,some guy said it was the gearbox,but Iam unsure.are these symptoms the same as you guys are having ?? Im sure its coming from drivetrain somewhere,help !!

I thought it was resonance in the exhaust at 3000rpm, but people like Altezza Girl who have a completely non-standard exhaust still get it.

Maybe it is in the driveshaft or the diff. Certainly it has been a problem since the car was released, I remember it being mentioned on some of the Japanese sites.

How about swapping cars with another club member for half and hour JP? Where abouts are you?

keith

I also have the cold shift prob,I changed the gearbox oil to a good castrol grade which seems to have helped a little.I have bad bad vibration in the rear when slowing down in most gears around the 3000rpm mark,some guy said it was the gearbox,but Iam unsure.are these symptoms the same as you guys are having ?? Im sure its coming from drivetrain somewhere,help !!

exactly the same as what my car does!

Took two and a half weeks to get my wheels back, but they back on the road at long last.

They replaced my box with new Lexus 6sp. watch out they told me it was $8000 worth ( dont DICK your box! )

Once they did that they still had vibration in the rear of my car, after mucking around and not knowing what the hell they were doing, Manukau City Toyota eventually worked out it was the flywheel.

Now I have a new box and SECOND HAND flywheel (the prats), it runs sweet as. It is a lil hard changing gears at low revs but piece of cake at the higher end.

The pedals still have a vibration, natural resonance it will be!

Gotta LUV these cars ay!

Stephen

COuld this be it, Im in Invercargill ,not may down here !!