Light Weight Flywheel

Gidday

I have had my Toms Light Weight Flywheel fitted (pictures can be found in the Garage - link below) and what a difference.

The altezza is no longer a dead duck at low rev's. It has made a marked improvement thru the whole rev range, but it really noticable with low revs.

It does make the car quite a bit different to drive, and after two days, im still getting used to it. Really easy to still, but that is to be expected, as there is less mass to keep the momentum.

Cheers

David

hey im kinda a newbie about mechanics of a car and stuff, coudl you explain what a flywheel exactly does? also how much does the stock tezza flywheel weigh and whats the difference with the lightened one?

cheers

A flywheel is a heavy wheel in an engine that helps keep it running and smooths its motion. The crankshaft in a petrol engine has a flywheel at one end, which keeps the crankshaft turning in between the intermittent power strokes of the pistons. It also comes into contact with the clutch, serving as the connection between the engine and the car’s transmission system.

Advantages of a light weight flywheel:

1. Engine accelerates faster so feels more lively due to reduce rotating mass - throttle response is sharper, you get places faster!

2. Engine decelerates faster .. better for gear changes

3. More power on most Dynos

Potential disadvantages:

1. Lumpier idle speeds due to less damping

2. Easier to stall the car when setting off due to less stored energy

3. Less damping on the engine so slightly harder on gearbox/diff

The lightweight flywheel for a Tezza (such as the Tom's) is considerably lighter...

David - Have you fitted an uprated clutch too?

hey im kinda a newbie about mechanics of a car and stuff, coudl you explain what a flywheel exactly does? also how much does the stock tezza flywheel weigh and whats the difference with the lightened one?

I think zee007 has really summed it all up.

Zee007 advantages are 100% bang on.

and my comments for the disadvantages are:

Lumpier idle speeds due to less damping

This is very common when lighting the flywheel on any car, however have not noticed this on the altezza.

Easier to stall the car when setting off due to less stored energy

For sure!

Less damping on the engine so slightly harder on gearbox/diff

Agree...

Also the weight, well the factory dual mass beast is a massive 12kg... the Toms light weight is 6kg.

David

Is it generally advised to 'upgrade' the clutch at the same as the flywheel, zee?

Also, what kind of cost's involved, David - I'm very interested in any mod that's going to improve the low end markedly.

How would you rate the amount of improvement from the lightened flywheel versus other typical low-end-improving mods, e.g. your HKS RS/heatshield and Blitz exhaust?

Is it generally advised to 'upgrade' the clutch at the same as the flywheel, zee?

You have no option but to upgrade the clutch. The factory toyota clutch will not fit as it is designed for the dual mass flywheel.

The Toms and TRD light weight flywheels are designed for the TRD clutch kit - im unsure about the other models for flywheel.

So basically the whole operation cost about $2200, for the flywheel, disc and cover.

The HKS RS induction probably killed a little off the very low end (this is to be expected tho), the exhaust made a slight improvement through the rev range. The flywheel has offered the best improvement.

In saying that, there would be no way I would go and do it without first having a stuffed clutch.

With the Altezza it is recommended that you replace the flywheel when you do the clutch, this is due to the dual mass design. The factory dual mass flywheel is $1800 from Toyota, and on top of that you still need the clutch kit.

Toyota will charge you about $295+ to install the kit.

Cheers

David

There is a guy here in Auckland who makes replacement units for dual mass flywheels. He makes 'standard' style flywheels/clutches that are half the weight. All he needs is an Altezza flywheel/clutch to copy and he can design a production run.

I would be very happy if someone could lend me their factory unit to give to him for a week to save me taking the clutch out of Greeneyes!! We should end up with a cheaper local unit for the Club. He exports the Subaru units he makes.

I got a Toda flywheel/clutch package a while ago and I think it makes a big difference but there is a fair bit of noise between 2-3000rpm when letting the engine slow down which aint to cool without a radio.

on the package it says "for racing purposes only, not for use on public roads" so I guess that somes it up!

You sort of work out how to limit the noise but apart from that it does seem alot better to drive through the rev range. I really need a full exhaust system to figure out the overall difference of my mods though.

and sorry Keith, the standard flywheel was sold the day after!

cheers....Hayden

Theres a guy here in Hamilton who designs and manufactures light weight flywheels out of chomolly. He has designed one for my V8 lexus engine. I made contact with him after reading an article a couple of months ago in the NZ Performance mag. Great guy to deal with.

I'll get his contact info tomorrow for anyone interested.

Boothy

Theres a guy here in Hamilton who designs and manufactures light weight flywheels out of chomolly. He has designed one for my V8 lexus engine. I made contact with him after reading an article a couple of months ago in the NZ Performance mag. Great guy to deal with.

Boothy

i could do with his contact info!! ;)

Boothy

i could do with his contact info!! ;)

So could I........ :)

The contact person who designs and manufactures the light weight chromoly flywheels is Dave from DVM Design in Hamilton. He can be contacted through his website st: www.dvmdesign.co.nz or give him a call on 027 554-4663.

There was an article in the NZ Performance Car Mag, May 2004, page 80. He had designed, manufactured and supplied a flywheel for the mags "Project - D" car.

Give him a call if interested. Good guy to deal with.

Boothy