Filters Vs Induction Kits

Panel Filter basically just improves the shift and high end feel slightly better and it is really for a slightly increase and filter economy. As for the induction kit make sure it has a cold air box which none of the current induction kit has for the IS200, since you do not want so many hot air sucking into your engine!...I would recommened a Tom's Foam filter since it is the most quality built and more value for money compare to TRD...TRD is a good filter, but you will have to change it once every 15,000 km.

Matt =)

Matt the TRD airfilter is a reusable filter that is washed and reoiled when needed, much the same as a K&N, are you saying that it is not effective once it has done 15,000 even when washed and reoiled?

I also have a TRD airfilter and which seems good although it does not give the same noise that a K&N (pod & panel) filter gives. I cannot compare it to the factory filter though as it was installed when the car was purchased.

Yup, you are right! Either Apex-i Induction with heatshield or Tom's Super Ram II IMO. Why does the TRD need to be oiled if it's paper? :(

Anyway, decision is your but since no one makes a induction with heatshield for the IS200 I said go for the Tom's Super Ram IS200 Filter! I got a Super Ram II myself!

Matt =)

My TRD Airfilter has a mesh covering with 4 layers of cotton gauze - pretty much the same as a K&N. This was in the car when it was imported, but i am pretty sure that you can get these in N.Z. I was not aware of a Paper TRD filter and i wouldn't bother getting one if there was.

Can show you a photo of it if you want.

To be honest if you are putting in a sports panel filter i think that you would struggle to notice a difference between the decent brands, which would be very minimal even on a dyno. Differencecs would be in price and filter life.

You will be able to tell a difference if you know your car! I heard some negatives about Trust so I no longer recommened and sell them...Tom's last longer and it is better in quality! And yes Heatshield does make a difference at low end!

Matt =)

You will be able to tell a difference if you know your car! I heard some negatives about Trust so I no longer recommened and sell them...Tom's last longer and it is better in quality! And yes Heatshield does make a difference at low end!

Matt =)

Whaa??

What Negatives did you hear about the Trust??

is it anything serious??

if so, time for me to chuck it in the trash and get a new one.....??

I heard from some guys they said Trust Filters can damage the throttle body if used for a long time...what I have heard but I have not yet seen any faults from it...if you are afraid get a Tom's otherwise I believe it should be fine.

Matt =)

Pros and Cons for all types of filters.

Pods definitely get the most airflow through, as you loose the restriction

of the airbox, but should duct cool air in to get the best out of it.

(its of note, that by losing this restriction, you can sometimes lose low end torque)

Its not the trust filter so much as foam filters in general, the foam 'decays'

(for lack of a better word) and eventually starts to break up, this can cause

problems further down the line, but this is just a part of owning and maintaining.

Same with re-oilable filters such as the TRD(?) and K&N. if you don't clean them,

they clog up, if you don't oil them, they clog up faster, if you over oil them you

can damage your airflow meter. Its a balancing act.

Its just common sense, nothing lasts for ever, but how long it lasts is up to you :)

Its just common sense, nothing lasts for ever, but how long it lasts is up to you :)

HaHa,

it's funny 'cause Matt, didn't you have the impression before that the trust filter would "last longer than the car itself"??

Guess it was a bit over optimistic eh? Oh well, i just hope the aftermarket will continue making these wierd "L" shaped filters for the IS200 for a very long time, or one day, i will eventually have to go back to factory filters..... :lol:

Its just common sense, nothing lasts for ever, but how long it lasts is up to you 

Good points on the different types of filters.

A re-useable K&N (or TRD & others) type filter should have the longest filter life of the filter types (K&N offer a 1,000,000 Mile warranty), however if they are not maintained they can cause considerable damage. The tacky oil traps the particles in the filter, after time it begins to clog and restricts airflow. At this time the filter should be cleaned and reoiled. If they are not kept oiled particles actually start to go through the filter and cause damage.

I have seen gouges from particles in the piping of an air intake due to someone not keeping their K&N oiled!.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordering from overseas will be cheaper and they will be in stock, most Au / NZ members found that it cost alot more and harder to get them locally compare to overseas, all of my and other mebers parts are sourced from Asia or US, like for my own car...if you need a TRD/Tom's filter let me know and I will try to sort you out, but since Tom's now have a filter I would recommened Tom's.

Matt =)

Pricing on the Tom's and TRD are the same, only problem is that the TRD only last for 30,000km / a 2 year service while the Tom's is a foam element which last as long as your car can with proper care (cleanand lightly oiled every 10,000km).

PM for the price guys...

Matt