Front Suspension Noise

Two posts on my first day...My IS200 makes "clunking" noises from the front end on some bumps. Took it to Pedders for a suspension checkup but got a clean bill of health. Before I bought this car (April 08) I reckon I'd test driven one other with the same problem but my car didn't do it on the test drive. I've quizzed a couple of Sydney Lexus service guys but haven't come up with an answer. Any clues ?

I had this problem...a loud clunk when going over a bump. Took it to my Totota dealer for analysis...took the Service Manager for a drive and it made the noise going over judder bars etc. They put it up on the hoist and couldn't find anything wrong.

A while later, the noise stopped and hasn't come back...bit of a mystery really.

I suspected something sticking in a shock absorber or suspension or something, and once it freed up again the noise stops.

The noise was a concern as it sounds really bad and I was worried it was doing some real damage, but apparently not.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :rolleyes:

I had this problem...a loud clunk when going over a bump. Took it to my Totota dealer for analysis...took the Service Manager for a drive and it made the noise going over judder bars etc. They put it up on the hoist and couldn't find anything wrong.

A while later, the noise stopped and hasn't come back...bit of a mystery really.

I suspected something sticking in a shock absorber or suspension or something, and once it freed up again the noise stops.

The noise was a concern as it sounds really bad and I was worried it was doing some real damage, but apparently not.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your interest, sounds familiar, reckon it will either get better or worse but 'tis annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

this noise is when the spring rotates or moves around while in motion I get it sometimes too. What you guys can do is raise up the car and get a can of WD40 and clean the spring and the dampers. This will re lubricate everything and stop the clunking. Shouldn't happen with stock suspension though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

My 2001 Lexus IS300 is also giving knocking noises on moderate road imperfections, in the front RHS suspension. This follows replacement of front disc pads and shock absorbers. No problem existed in the suspension, but my mechanic detected a very slow oil weep in shock absorbers during previous service, so I decided to replace them. I have now returned car 4 times, and in an effort to find the problem

1. The new shocks were replaced again to make sure they were not faulty!  (Ultima brand)
  2. The top right suspension mounting plate was replaced in case the bushing was the cause
  3. The ball joint was replaced

All bolts bushings checked/tightened, and disc pads seating checked too, but the beat goes on when the road is not smooth!.After the first visit there was a graunching noise, probably from the disturbed coils, but that did settle down after second visit.

Any ideas? Help!

• 2 years later...

Hi, new to the forum.

I have a 2003, IS300. I had the same clunk noise.. infuriated and worried the heck out of me.
Took it to my trusted mechanic and lower sub-frame bushes were the issues. Potentially could be the same with yours. Ended up buying parts from the mount shop ($$) as Lexus/Toyota would only replace the whole subframe ($$$).

Over all pretty simple fix but you’ll need a press to do it so pretty much a mechanic job, I’d also do both bushes if I were to do it again, as I only replaced the one at the time - needless to say I learned my lesson. 

Hi, new to the forum.

I have a 2003, IS300. I had the same clunk noise.. infuriated and worried the heck out of me.
Took it to my trusted mechanic and lower sub-frame bushes were the issues. Potentially could be the same with yours. Ended up buying parts from the mount shop ($$) as Lexus/Toyota would only replace the whole subframe ($$$).

Over all pretty simple fix but you’ll need a press to do it so pretty much a mechanic job, I’d also do both bushes if I were to do it again, as I only replaced the one at the time - needless to say I learned my lesson.