My is250 got the start up rattle that i have heard in the car for about a month

lexus already knows about it but no recall owners just have to tell if there car has a rattle on start up they will replace the cam gears mine gets done early next week.

Has any guys had yours done yet getting pretty common know.

No questions asked they will do it.

TSB ENGINE START UP RATTLE

The link didn't work for me. Isn't that TSIB from the USA?

So yours is getting done and you only had to mention the startup rattle?

I reckon I've heard it a couple of times with mine, but not sure if I imagined it due to doors closed and radio on. I'll try startups with the door open for a while to see if I notice anything.

The link didn't work for me. Isn't that TSIB from the USA?

So yours is getting done and you only had to mention the startup rattle?

I reckon I've heard it a couple of times with mine, but not sure if I imagined it due to doors closed and radio on. I'll try startups with the door open for a while to see if I notice anything.

Trust me if you have the rattle you won't need to have the door open.

Mine does it infrquently but last time it did it, I had a Lexus Service Manager in the car, so mine is getting fixed tomorrow.

That TSB says it happens for 1 sec, this is not going to be noticable.

Also, i'm not sure what this rattles noise is. Can someone explain more.

That TSB says it happens for 1 sec, this is not going to be noticable.

Also, i'm not sure what this rattles noise is. Can someone explain more.

It just sounds like the starter motor runs on but its the cam pressure pin doesn't pull back in quickly until hydraulic pressure is built up.

When you press the starter button as the engine is trying to start you can hear this metallic noise for a second not all the time tho.

Yep - I have an Apr 06 model, was occasionally knocking/rattling on start up. Sounds worse than the issue really is, but wanted it fixed. I gave my service manager the Lexus TSIB (EG17-07) for my 30k service (in May 08). All done, no questions asked. Problem rectified. They do know about the issue.

For people who have not heard the sound, its right on start up, and it happens for about a second (quite loud grinding sound) about half a second after hitting the start button. The revs in the engine increase on start up, and just as they start decreasing back towards idle speed, that is when you hear it. (Hard to explain, but the service departments are aware of it). It will not happen all the time, but happened to me about a dozen times, always after a cold night and on first start up only.

Guys i have 12/06 and i swear i cannot tell if there are any undue noise during startups.

I mean how can u listen to something that lasts only 1 sec?

ldc - believe me - you will know if there is a problem! - it is a very loud sound that is totally out of place with the usual sound of an engine. You may even feel a little vibration in the steering wheel on start up. Its just an occasional problem with some vehicles - its far from a universal problem, and appears to be only a problem with '05 and earliesh '06 models. If you havent noticed anything to date, then 99% sure its not an issue with your vehicle.

Haz - good for you! You shouldn't have this issue with your sparkly new is250!! :) I have a 04/06 is250, and although has been a fantastic buy and a lot of fun for me, there have been a few niggly issues (squeaky seat and sunroof, inaccurate speedo and this startup rattle) that have since been rectified by Lexus on the factory floor. Just shows if you can do it, is to wait a year or two (even for Lexus) for the 'teething problems' to be identified by owners and corrected by the manufacturer. (Note - I have had all these issues solved by the dealer during my recent service, so it drives like a 2008 model now!!).

The is250 was a completely new car from the ground up (not a revision or update of previous models, which has been the usual Lexus way) - hence there would always be that risk of some teething issues, but still far less than you'd ever find in a 159, A4, 3-series or C-class! Suffice to say, Im pretty sure my next car will be a 2009 is250!!

Yes the 250 was a new and not revised car. I would think from 2007 onwards all things not perfect would have been addresse.

I'm happy i bought the car at the time i did, as 12/06 would have been registered and in 07. Having had the car now for 1.5 years i'm very happy, had in mind to only keep it for 4 years but so far i think i might extent that :)

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone,
I just bought my first Lexus ever (2008 IS250) less than 2 month ago! Whilst I’m pretty happy with the car, but something is really annoying me!

Occasional and intermittent Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up!!!! (just happened 3-4 times since 1 month ago and NONE of them happened at the cold start!)

I know there were well know problem of rattling noise at the cold start for pre-07 models which apparently the problem was faulty VVT hub or something like that and it was a TSB published regarding this problem. BUT mine is 2008 model (apparently they already fixed the problem after 07!) and never happened at the cold start!

I bought the vehicle second hand from Lexus dealership and will run out of statuary warranty soon (2 weeks), I tried to convince them about the problem but since it’s occasional, then I couldn’t replicate the problem at Lexus dealership and prove it to them!pat.gif
I tried to capture it on tape but no success yet. They are refusing to fix the problem Peace.gif

The sound is more like a very rapid clicking (like switching noise - something (electronic?) is switching in the engine bay rapidly for less than second or trying to switch) which happen when the speedometer & tachometer needles getting close to the end range. I checked if the noise coming from needless or not , but the actual noise coming from the engine bay or somewhere behind the dash.
The sound is very similar to the clicking sound of engine if someone try to start it with dried battery (but this clicking sound is much faster and happens when the engine already started running) - i tried my best to explain this strange sound confused.gif1387914497.gif

the period of the sound is sometime just one click/rattle after start up and sometimes 4-5 click/rattle after start-up(which all happens in less than second)

Also,
Another intermittent and occasional problem is water gurgling (bubbling noise) sound coming from behind the dash and more frequent in hot days. This problem is also very intermittent and occasional and happens in start (NOT necessarily cold start). My research end up with possible water-pump problem or coolant air-lock (just saying as I'm definitely not an expert or mechanic!).pat.gif

I desperately appreciate your help! Peace.gif

Any idea? How can I prove it to them? I sold my PUG407 and bought a Lexus to live a hassle free life! Cannot afford another challenge and fight for this one again!mad.gif
Please tell me how to handle this problem or better to sell this sad.gif!
I’m so fussy and spent heaps of $ to rectify numerous problems on my previous car and don’t have neither money nor energy for this one! wink.gif

thanks mates!

Hey guys, i own a 06 is250, i think i notice that rattle sound you guys were mentioning. Its 2013 now do you think lexus is still going to fix this problem for me? cheers

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Lexus ever (2008 IS250) less than 2 month ago! Whilst I’m pretty happy with the car, but something is really annoying me!

Occasional and intermittent Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up!!!! (just happened 3-4 times since 1 month ago and NONE of them happened at the cold start!)

I know there were well know problem of rattling noise at the cold start for pre-07 models which apparently the problem was faulty VVT hub or something like that and it was a TSB published regarding this problem. BUT mine is 2008 model (apparently they already fixed the problem after 07!) and never happened at the cold start!

I bought the vehicle second hand from Lexus dealership and will run out of statuary warranty soon (2 weeks), I tried to convince them about the problem but since it’s occasional, then I couldn’t replicate the problem at Lexus dealership and prove it to them!pat.gif

I tried to capture it on tape but no success yet. They are refusing to fix the problem Peace.gif

The sound is more like a very rapid clicking (like switching noise - something (electronic?) is switching in the engine bay rapidly for less than second or trying to switch) which happen when the speedometer & tachometer needles getting close to the end range. I checked if the noise coming from needless or not , but the actual noise coming from the engine bay or somewhere behind the dash.

The sound is very similar to the clicking sound of engine if someone try to start it with dried battery (but this clicking sound is much faster and happens when the engine already started running) - i tried my best to explain this strange sound confused.gif1387914497.gif

the period of the sound is sometime just one click/rattle after start up and sometimes 4-5 click/rattle after start-up(which all happens in less than second)

Also,

Another intermittent and occasional problem is water gurgling (bubbling noise) sound coming from behind the dash and more frequent in hot days. This problem is also very intermittent and occasional and happens in start (NOT necessarily cold start). My research end up with possible water-pump problem or coolant air-lock (just saying as I'm definitely not an expert or mechanic!).pat.gif

I desperately appreciate your help! Peace.gif

Any idea? How can I prove it to them? I sold my PUG407 and bought a Lexus to live a hassle free life! Cannot afford another challenge and fight for this one again!mad.gif

Please tell me how to handle this problem or better to sell this sad.gif!

I’m so fussy and spent heaps of $ to rectify numerous problems on my previous car and don’t have neither money nor energy for this one! wink.gif

thanks mates!

my car recently started to have that water gurgling noise now and then too! It almost sound like a fart sometimes, its very weird. It only happened after i got my car serviced, and i dont think it's the water pump cos if that happens, the dealer should've told me about it during the service. My theory is that theres some air in the coolant in which it needs to be let out or something. But if its serious for you i suggest you to have your dealer inspect your car, that way u can have some reassurance about the issue and deal with it before it gets big. and don't worry, the IS250 is still a very reliable car, i am sure if u buy another car a lot of problems can happen thats much more of a headache then Lexus.

here is my video! fortunately i managed to catch the rattling noise on video, however, the quality is not so good and you need to lesson carefully to the video to hear the rattle between second 2 and 3 of the video. as i said before the noise show up so intermittently and it's so hard to tape it and i videoed it after couple of days of try! probably i can tape it again in better quality, but i send it to you as a proof of the noise , i will enhance the video later on to make the noise more clear and post it again

Yes it sounds like air in the coolant. Mine needed bleeding to eliminate the gurgling noise.

How much did it cost you to fix the gurgling noise? its quite annoying, mine sounds like a short fart coming from AC vents, and it happens infrequently. DId they mention what was the issue? I think my coolant cap is leaking, cos around the cap theres pink stuff