i still cant get this damn thing out pissing me off now lol
So you've inserted the two picks and a flat-blade screwdriver as per the instructions on the first post of this thread?

Actually, scrub that idea. First, check whether a notch even exists below the emergency flashers button. If it doesn't, don't follow the manual page at the beginning of this thread.

According to my copy of the Nav System Owner's Manual:

1. Turn on ACCESSORY mode

2. Insert the 2 picks provided in the in-vehicle tools into the holes on both sides of the clock panel at a slight outward angle until you hear a "click". Remove the panel.

3. Go to the nav menu, eject the DVD, etc.

Hopefully the "slight outward angle" hint will help - I'm not too game to try it on my own car if I don't need to ...

As per the US manual in this thread, my manual also suggests using protective tape and, if you can't remove the panel easily, "stop immediately and ask for assistance at your Lexus dealer." Not that you can or will, but I just had to make that disclaimer.

Has anyone else noticed the ridiculous routes you'll get as default? I find it's imperative to check all routes and manually choose.

So right.

In the Navigation setup, you can change the average travelling speed on suburban roads, major roads and freeways. Changing the default values may give you more appropriate route choices. Although, we all know that the average speed on different "major roads" can vary widely between 23 and 80 km/h ... Herein lies the real problem.

Someday, all sat navs will use statistical averages of travel time for major roads at given times of day, to determine more appropriate routes for the desired time of day for travel. I know that Intelematics (providers of SUNA) are working on this. (I'm not sure if this can be retrofitted into current model Lexus DVD systems, but here's hoping.) For now, though, all we can do is tweak three numbers ...

Has anyone else noticed the ridiculous routes you'll get as default? I find it's imperative to check all routes and manually choose.

So right.

In the Navigation setup, you can change the average travelling speed on suburban roads, major roads and freeways. Changing the default values may give you more appropriate route choices. Although, we all know that the average speed on different "major roads" can vary widely between 23 and 80 km/h ... Herein lies the real problem.

Someday, all sat navs will use statistical averages of travel time for major roads at given times of day, to determine more appropriate routes for the desired time of day for travel. I know that Intelematics (providers of SUNA) are working on this. (I'm not sure if this can be retrofitted into current model Lexus DVD systems, but here's hoping.) For now, though, all we can do is tweak three numbers ...

well, I have a number of satnavs....the others aren't even nearly as ridiculous as some of the routes chosen by my lexus. anyway....it's easy enough to check them before you move, so no big deal. was just an eye opener the first time i noticed.

Yeah, some routes it chooses are not the best. What I've noticed is that some roads, which can be considered to be not major, but close enough to major, show up on the satnav as your normal local suburban roads. Perhaps herein lies the problem, as it ignores them and chooses a major road, as opposed to taking a shortcut.

I mainly use the satnav if I am heading across to the opposite side of the city, and when I need a specific address or something. If you know your rough way around the city, you should just drive there how you think it's best, and the satnav will readjust itself,a nd let it guide you properly as you come closer to your destination. That's what I do anyway.

Yeah, some routes it chooses are not the best. What I've noticed is that some roads, which can be considered to be not major, but close enough to major, show up on the satnav as your normal local suburban roads. Perhaps herein lies the problem, as it ignores them and chooses a major road, as opposed to taking a shortcut.

I mainly use the satnav if I am heading across to the opposite side of the city, and when I need a specific address or something. If you know your rough way around the city, you should just drive there how you think it's best, and the satnav will readjust itself,a nd let it guide you properly as you come closer to your destination. That's what I do anyway.

well, the other day I was going from Toorak to Ringwood. satnav decided the default route would be toorak rd onto monash onto eastlink (tolls) and then off at canterbury rd.

35km and 33 mins it said.

option 2 was via Kew and eastern freeway (more tolls)

28km and 36 mins

The last option was straight up Toorak Rd onto Springvale and along Canterbury Rd.

22km. 25 mins.

Now if anyone can make logic of that, the please explain it to me! :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the instructions in various posts here, I was able to download the Whereis V16 Lexus-Toyota DVD, burn it successfully and install it ... no major problem, except for the download which took 6 days!!

A special thanks to you, Korvan, for the video - after viewing that, it was all a piece of cake!

Thanks everyone, once again - this forum is really fun !!

Subby

Ok, did mine today and thought I would share experiences.

Dowloaded and created a DVD of V15. Couldn't find any links to V16 (yet).

The video by Korvan on the 7 September 2008 in this thread is well worth viewing before attempting this task (thanks Korvan for uploading).

I had troubles finding the two tools. I opened the Safety Triangle pack before I "discovered" the false tray over the mini spare wheel. Then I found the funny shaped tool kit next to the spare wheel. Upon opening the tool kit, I didn't immediately find the two slim keys located in their own fully covered pocket in the centre spine of the tool kit.

Using the tools I found that a reasonable force was needed to push the tools home. Then it took a reasonable force to "walk" the clock fascia out of the dashboard.

After that, things progressed smoothly from ejecting the original DVD and inserting my own. Be aware that there's a shortish wait while the DVD spins up, initialises, then presents a screen warning not to change power settings till the loading process completes (about 45 seconds).

On the first drive test, it took a few minutes for the display to come onto a correct track. (Initially I was tracking in nearby Sydney Harbour). After the few minutes lost in the Harbour, the tracking settled onto the correct road and now a few days since the update, all is 100% good.

I'd just checked inside my toolkit & the two picks are not there!! >_<

I currently have v14 in mine & the orginal paperwork that came with the car (user manuals, etc... ) had v13.

So it looks like mine was upgraded at one stage & the picks weren't put back into the toolkit!

I wonder if I can get replacement picks from a dealer?

Did you have a "Mummy" look?

The pesky things are hard to locate.

Open the tool kit and look at the center spine. The tools are quite small and VERY easy to miss seeing.

Yeap.. Center spine of tool kit.. There is a little piece of Velcro you can lift up. I can see where the two picks would sit, but nothing there!

Shame about that. You can probably get by cutting a couple of wire pieces (100mm each) off a wire coat hanger. Alternatively you can go buy the tools from a wrecker or Lexus (probably have to buy the whole kit) or easier still find a friend who'll lend the tools to you (you'll only need them for 5 minutes!)

Remember that there are two processes involved here.

First you expand the clips by pushing the tool (or wire) in on both sides through the little holes in the fascia.

Then, secondly, you have to get the fascia out.

With the tools, after you've freed the clips, you exert a slight sideways push so you can ease out the fascia. The wire from a coat hanger is probably fine enough to expand the clip but not rigid enough to exert the sideways grip so you can ease the fasciaa out.

I read with interest that there is a recess under the Emergency light button and you can use that with a small flat screw driver blade to ease the fascia out. Once it moves, you can grab the fascia with your fingers and it will come out really easy.

Believe me, once you've done it the first time and understand the process - it's easy to do (I've done it several times already.

Just take your time and take care not to mark the fascia or your dashboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Great posts everyone! I downloaded the whereis version 16 info last week burned it to dvd and have now have successfully upgraded my IS250 and my wife's RX400h! Everything works perfectly and it couldn't be easier!

Thanks again for the excellent thread!

Cheers

Mike

soo easy when your looking in the right places

just a heads up as it took me alot of searching till i found out where everything was.

V16

http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=2679503&start=0

and youtube link to show you how easy its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5HGhF3IdTw

I read with interest that there is a recess under the Emergency light button and you can use that with a small flat screw driver blade to ease the fascia out. Once it moves, you can grab the fascia with your fingers and it will come out really easy.

No such recess on mine. I believe it's found on some of the earlier IS250's, as the old US Ownner's Manual makes reference to that recess, but the 2009 Australian manual doesn't. (I just thought I'd mention this in case somebody stares at their fascia and asks, "What recess? I must be going blind ...")

Fellas...

I've just updated my maps to V16 but am wondering on something

One of the other IS's I test drove had this audible bell sound when a fixed speed camera appeared on the map. I thought maybe my old maps were too old for this feature (was V13). Sadly, I've still got no noise with speed cameras, has anyone else got this going on theirs?

Cheers,

Dan

Fellas...

One of the other IS's I test drove had this audible bell sound when a fixed speed camera appeared on the map. I thought maybe my old maps were too old for this feature (was V13). Sadly, I've still got no noise with speed cameras, has anyone else got this going on theirs?

Cheers,

Dan

The locations of speed carmeras aren't preset by WhereIs (the supplier of the Lexus sat nav maps).

Version 16 allows you to manually mark address book entries with sound-linked icons so that, as you approach the map point, an audible sound is heard. My Lexus dealer was quick to give a speed camera location as the ultimate example of using this feature. Your test IS probably had some speed camera locations in its address book, which would have been pre-configured by someone. Speed camera locations aren't included in WhereIs' directory of points of interest, so you'll have to locate the speed camera locations on the map yourself and add the points to your address book, marking each of them with an appropriate icon.

If you already knew all that and are still wondering why you're not hearing anything as you approach the address book location, make sure you've pressed the "I Accept" button on the display panel. The sat nav function doesn't run at all until you've explicitly accepted the notice and disclaimer.

Fellas...

Cheers,

Dan

The locations of speed carmeras aren't preset by WhereIs (the supplier of the Lexus sat nav maps).

Version 16 allows you to manually mark address book entries with sound-linked icons so that, as you approach the map point, an audible sound is heard. My Lexus dealer was quick to give a speed camera location as the ultimate example of using this feature. Your test IS probably had some speed camera locations in its address book, which would have been pre-configured by someone. Speed camera locations aren't included in WhereIs' directory of points of interest, so you'll have to locate the speed camera locations on the map yourself and add the points to your address book, marking each of them with an appropriate icon.

If you already knew all that and are still wondering why you're not hearing anything as you approach the address book location, make sure you've pressed the "I Accept" button on the display panel. The sat nav function doesn't run at all until you've explicitly accepted the notice and disclaimer.

Thanks very much! Makes sense now, so just drop a 'mark' when you drive past one and go about setting it up once you get to your destination. Easy enough.

Surely those WhereIs guys get this info put together as part of their $300 update...

Cheers,

Dan

Anyone ever had the GPS go a little crazy on them before..?

Here's what happened to me;

* Installed V16 map

* Everything loaded up just great. Spun up and was ready to go within 30seconds

* Drove around for a week or so with no issues

* Had a trip down the south coast that my g/f was going to have to meet me at.... HERE WE GO

* Start trying to add the address in (near nowra). Was really slow... All of a sudden, it just pauses. Wait a while, not much changes... Eventually it starts going again, then locks up...

* Turn the car off then back on

* Go to add the address back in, now it can't find anything as it's dumped the 'state' out of the map... Can't click on the button, nothing happens. Effectively rendered the unit useless

* Swap back to the V13 map and all is fine... try the V16 again and it's still buggered.

Sidenote: V13 map still lets me assign sounds to marked points of interest, I thought that was a V16 only feature.

Anyone??

I suspect a bad burn.

Suggestions:

Try a fresh burnt DVD.

Also try a DVD+R style

Also try burning at a slower speed

Also try burning with a verify

If these fail, download the source again and try the above burn suggestions.

Since others don't seem to have similar issues - it points to a problem at your end.

• 1 year later...

this procedure really is irritating but i took two small suction cups like you use in the shower, place one on each side of the flasher button and pulled it right out. i bet the $49+ plus lexus service does this or either breaks the damn thing and replaces it costs them probably 49 cents.

Holy thread revival Batman!!!!

Yes but, you gotta admit, a worthy thread revival ... Using suction cups might well be the easiest way yet to remove the front panel ... and may become "best practice" if anyone else can concur with sbowden1951's finding!

Suction cups - now THAT'S a good solution. Give the man a prize. I'm wondering if anyone tried it yet? You might have to still use the mini drivers to compress the little grips and then use the suction cups to pull the cover free.

My cover is really firmly stuck in place so next time I will use the suction cup method. I've bent my mini drivers already getting the cover out before.