Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niick

Bad Exhaust Smell!

41 posts in this topic

Somethin ain't right!! Yeh, I agree with the fact that the cats can be the issue, but how about Ilv's brand new Rx or all y'all with relatively new rides. I've got 11k on my car and I have never smelt it even under hard driving.

What fuel are y'all using??? There needs to be a common link!

spoke to the service guys they said if u got the a/c on it wont smell

but man..

a/c + trash = too much fuel

spoke to the service guys they said if u got the a/c on it wont smell

but man..

a/c + trash = too much fuel

Trash or thrash?!?!?!? :D

Seriously though, what roll the A/C play in this??? I wonder sometimes about the service dudes!!

Just heard back from Lexus (Perth) - they've asked me to try out different fuels; I'm usually on BP Ultimate (correction: the car is usually on BP Ultimate) or the Shell Premium but this time I'll note down which fuel seems to emit the worst sulphur smell.

Kind of weird though - you'd think that a Lexus wouldn't be *that* picky with fuel, and surely there must be a better cat/fuel control mechanism to stop that much excess fuel being burnt up in the catalytic converter.

C'mon guys - did anyone read my earlier post? Ive investigated this issue significantly, including calling Lexus Australia, speaking with my dealer several times and even emailing Lexus USA. My dealer did their own investigation.

My earlier post explains that it is a catalytic convertor issue, that Lexus USA are rectifying through the installation of new exhaust assemblies. Lexus Australia will not do this - much to the dealers' frustrations.

I read this was an issue with the earlier IS250's and a TSB was issued in the US to replace the catalytic converter with a new design -- why do Australian IS250 owners not get the new design? We're supposed to just put up with it when it's a known issue and there's a known fix?!

Dazk - As I stated above, Lexus Australia seem to be the ones who are being difficult on this issue - much to the owners and dealers frustration. We're all not sure as to why?

simple solution

get new exhaust system without the cats :)

"PTS Exhaust–Joe Z series '

sounds like a good excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust!

nice choice as well!

2008 sports, never noticed any smell whatsoever after hard driving!

If the cats had collapsed (which is generally the reason for the sulphuric acid smell) your car would be running like a bitch.

Change out the pipes, or dont flog your car :)

dont flog your car :)

yeah right! hahaha

i get the smell too. I don't necessarily have to flog it, taking it over 4500-5000rpm and i can smell it.

something i can live with, but you think ;exus would have had it sorted.

Can anyone update with progress and if anyone has ever been able to get it fixed under warranty yet?

I spoke to Lexarse Oz today they denied any feedback related to it-So why not cut the cat converter out-sports exhaust!

> why not cut the cat converter out-sports exhaust!

Maybe the (up to) $62,000 fine from the EPA if they ever find out is enough of a deterrent.

You cannot remove the catalytic converter from a vehicle that is equipped with one from the factory according to ADR.

Edited by Atlantis

Just installed ISF xforce cat back (deletes the secondary cats) smell gone 100% my theory is the second cats dont heat up enough to burn the fuel only when you flog the car for 15 minutes then the smell goes and you get booked LOL just delete the cats job done.  

You can delete the second cats without being fined.