I've got windscreen cover with AAMI and have paid the $50 ONCE. When I paid it again the following year, it was refunded to me with a note - "Already paid for" !!! Haven't paid any more premiums towards this since, and my current policy says that I have windscreen coverage. Whether that covers genuine OEM replacement or not, only time will tell. However, have found it is worth paying a few dollars more for car insurance with a big name insurer because they will usually do the right thing if you are persistent and your claim is fair and reasonable... as they say, in the end you get what you pay for.

If mine was smashed I would insist on a genuine screen and they have to supply a genuine screen in the warranty period, You can only use genuine parts if you want to keep your warranty.

I may add , I don't ever take windscreen option for the reasons Lance correctly pointed out, your screen is covered just like everything else is subject to ecxess.

On older cars that insurance will install aftermarket glass ( Chinese) is hardly worth the effort you can one replaced for under $300 and they will come to you , take the smashed screen off install the new Chinese screen and take away the old one.