Hey guys, just wondering what oil do you guys used?? there is mobile1 0w-40, 5w-30, and castrol edge sport 0w-40, and 5w-30, has anyone tried any of these?? which is better??

Thx

i'm on mobil 5w-30 full synthetic but haven't noticed any difference between this and whateva the dealers use.

No he doesn't.

Two dealers I know of use different brands so there isn't a single answer.

haha well we will never find out lool. all we know is that it works. lol

Supercheap just had special on Edge 5w-30, so i changed it to that recently. Mobil is too expense i feel but would be the better choice, either 0W-40 or 5W-40.

Supercheap just had special on Edge 5w-30, so i changed it to that recently. Mobil is too expense i feel but would be the better choice, either 0W-40 or 5W-40.

I use that Castrol Edge 5w-30 on my other lightly tuned car and it's great. I do think Mobil is too expensive even though the US spec guys recommend it. The market may be different over there. (I'm not saying that Mobil is bad though)

Oil is a consumable so I don't really see the extra money to pour down the drain if you change your oil over regularly anyway. As long as you stick to the well known brands Castrol, Penrite, Mobil which a regulated by the viscosity code 5w-30 etc you should be right :)

• 3 months later...

CASTROL 5W - 30.........Is Number 1 for a LEX IS250..My Mrs is Japanese and on the Lexus Japan Forums its voted the best... Mobile 1 is just a rip,unless ur driving a ferrari or some turbo mod its just not necessary....

I change mine every 8k, and have put my engine through hell since new, 3 years, touch wood no engine probs...Yet ha ha ha

I really dont think u need to go to the 0w - 40....as long as u dont hammer the engine on immediate start up, give it a good minute to warm up in the engine, the 5w - 30 well and truly does the job....

A not ( as im sure u know ) its best to stick to the same brand grade oil for as long as possible, i.e dont go mobile 1, penrite, castrol then mobile 1, just stick to the same....

its a bit like mixing coke with pepsi then coke zero and lemonade lol

29200Kms. Yeh, i don't like waiting for 3mins or so before heading off. It does feel thick.

The car is due for 30000 service and could need tuneup too if that helps.

I've always run Mobil 1 in my previous cars, until I switched to Motul 8100 Turbolight. Can't recommend them enough, they're the recommended oil for Porsches and Nissan GTRs. I don't think it hurts to run it in cars which aren't as highly strung as these, heck I even run this in the daily Corolla.. given the service intervals are around 10,000kms you don't have to do it very often anyway.

I'm surprised to see a number of people conducting their own minor servicing. Or maybe it's just an oil change within the recommended period.

From my experience (on cars and bikes), the lower the 'w' rating on the grade (ie: 0w - ??) the better it is for cold motors (starting and first few kms).

The lower the running temp rating (the 2nd figure in the grade) the more responsive the motor (and theoretically the better the fuel consumption seeing friction is reduced when running thinner oil).

And furthermore:

The tighter the difference between the w rating and operating temp rating (say 0w-30 versus 5w-40) the longer the oil will hold together since it doesn't require as many additives to either thicken the oil at operating temp or thin the oil at cold temp. It's the oil which is responsible for reducing friction and engine cooling - the additives are there to assist it. Formula One cars run either a straight 5 or 10 oil depending on the likely running temp of the engine (they also use huge oil coolers and warm their engines up prior to taking off) rather than running a 0w-20 or something similar - which would be much simpler than having to lug a huge oil cooler around!

Just my 2 cents.

BTW I haven't changed the oil in the Lexus myself as yet. I can't even get Lexus Service Dept tell me what oil they've put into the car!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm due for oil change for real. 30K and coming to end of warranty period...might just save $500 odd and do her with Edge at my mech. At least at my mech, i get to stand next them and see what they do lol.

It was confirmed to me that lexus dealers use Castrol Magnatec 10W -40.

And that is 10000000% Factual

Not so factual.

The dealer you asked may use it.

Lexus Australia are supplied with an oil made to their specs by Caltex. Many(not all) dealers use it.

In Sydney the big two, Sydney City & Chatswood both use the Caltex oil made for Lexus. I believe its 10W-30.

• 1 month later...