morning all. thought i would reply to this thread than to create a new one

am going to service my car soon (114,000km's) and am doing research on which engine oil to use

have done quite a bit of reading on various forums with many different recommendations 

i have shortlisted to either a 5w-30 or 10w-30 fully synthetic engine oil

i am in melbourne, so we do get some cold mornings, around 3 degrees, however in summer we can also easily get upto 40 degrees. i mainly drive in traffic, however i do give it a good "workout" several times a week :D

just curious to see what engine oil you all currently use?

cheers

Lexus of Melbourne used Valvoline 10w30 in my last 2 services and it goes alright. After 3,000km, the engine is still rather quiet, however I think the oil is just mineral and not even a synthetic blend.

I use 5w30 Castrol Edge on our Aurion and Corolla and they run really well. The engine is more responsive and saves a bit of fuel compared to the original 15w40 that was used at the Toyota dealers. Engine stays quiet until well into the service interval. Then again, I can get this oil real cheap therefore I will continue to use it.

• Like 1

thanks guys, appreciate it. i did a search on supercheap autos website, and filtered it down to a 5L fully synthetic 5w-30, and the difference between say valvoline and mobil 1 is around $30!

im wondering what the difference is, or does it just come down to brand name?

Engine oil is a complicated topic and there will be differences between the two, down to a combination of chemistry and marketing.  But with your usage pattern, the differences between the brands do not justify the difference in price.  If you want to save money, keep an eye out on the supercheap and repco catalogue.  Several times a year, they have 5w30 or 5w40 on specials down to around $30 - $35 for 5L.

• Like 1

I rang Chatswood Lexus 1 person said 10/30 Castrol mineral and I got past to the service area, and they said 5/30 Castrol magnatec go figure???

turns out my regular mechanic has the giant barrels of engine oil. 5w-30 penrite fully synthetic. saves me from buying it separately! 

My input,

Penrite 5w-40 Full Synth oil, yep buy a few containers when on sale etc. plus I run Wix oil filters.

Have ran it in my V6 hilux since new, now 300,000 kms and never missed a beat.

My lexus gets 10,000kms oil and filter changes and its pushing 200,000kms and never missed a beat either.

:)

• Like 1

Lexus of Perth informed me they use Mobil Synthetic 5W-30. 

Interesting to see that different oils are used in different states. 

At higher km's (not sure how high) I hear that thicker oils used than what is specified for a new/low km's car. Maybe someone can elaborate on this. 

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of people use Penrite 5w-40 HPR5.

I will just stick to Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, and when it's onl special it's at best $45 per 5L. I go with 5w-40 mainly because we are in Aussieland, and the summers here can be a real biatch.

Ideally I would like to stick with Mobil1 Gold 0w-40, but I can't justify the price of $109 per 5L, and my 350F is only driven on weekends, so it gets less than 3,000kms per 12month interval.