I bought a 2005 Lexus IS250 Sport with EMV about three weeks ago. I love the Mark Levinson stereo but wanted full iPod/iPhone integration. Yes I know that it has an AUX port but you can't change songs on the fly which is what I wanted. I found this product - Vaistech SoundLinQ2 SL2i-UP - http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php

I bought it through the Australian distributor which cost a bit more but it was worth it- http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2/iPod-USB-Aux-Input_6/Lexus-iPod-Integration

Took it to an audio installer cause I know nothing about cars and he set it up for me. He had a few problems so I contacted the local distributor and he helped me out. It seems that it is supposed to beep when you set up emulation but it didn't. Would have been nice for the manual to say that.

Anyway the system works perfectly with the touch screen and plays albums, playlists and artists just like the iPod would. It shows the song name and artist all via the screen and you can change tracks via the steering wheel controls. The box hides away on the passenger side footwell and the iPod cable is in the glove box permanently connected to a iPod Nano.

I highly recommend this to anyone you loves music on the move and has a huge iTunes library.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another option - through your Lexus dealer... Unsure of the cost, so the Vasitech version might be the affordable option, but if people are serious about it, and looking at options, have a chat to your dealer.

http://www.citylexus.com.au/online-shop/accessories/i-pod-integrated-system.aspx

I think it might be the same product as mine had a black ipod connector similar to thiers. Would be interesting to see what Lexus charge for it. I'm loving mine as no more messy mixed MP3 CDs just playlists, album and artist. My orginal plan was to mount it so the iPhone plugs into it but a separate iPod is better.

Yes I believe you are correct that it is the same one. I think the VAIS is what all Lexus dealers are fitting. I don't know of another option. Except all late '09 on IS250 come with a factory USB which IMO works better.

As a tip if any of you decide to get a VAIS installed don't go for the iPod specific kit. Instead get the USB kit. Its the same except for the end connection. This way you can still run an Ipod just the same but also have the option of running other accessories.

A USB flash drive works great and is much less of a risk left in the car.

Would be very interesting to do a price comparison, and see what the dealers 'mark up' is. The only benefit of going thru the dealer (if it is the same unit) is you'd get more 'grace' on workmanship/materials warranty etc.

I never actually use my iPod unless on long trips. Sick of fiddling with the unit whilst driving (and I find more dangerous than anything to do with a mobile phone). So i dont bother anymore - unless the missus is with me and she can drive the iPod.

Great tip 'dis-lex-sic' on the USB port. Given memory sticks are so damn cheap these days (you'll see 4Gb for $10 in bargain bins at Officeworks/Dick Smith etc.) Just leave it in the glove box and essentially have a hard drive music system. You would think this will be standard kit in the 2012 IS.

You would think this will be standard kit in the 2012 IS.

Well USB plug is now standard.

I believe that our Nav systems will be moving away from DVD to hard drive system. Hopefully some of that memory will be usable. Also Bluetooth streaming should be not too far away.

I'm suprised why we can't play music though bluetooth in the IS250 yet. A2DP protocol has been around in phones for many many years now, you can buy bluetooth headphones and stream music to them etc. You'd think they'd forget about messy cables and just upgrade their bluetooth in the EMV. Having said that, iPod/iPhone doesn't have A2DP (unless it has been put in recently). Still, many phones have had it for years. Ah well. Good thing about A2DP is that you can also skip tracks, play/pause, ffw/rew, and get track listings etc remotely on the screen etc. which is essentially what this integration kit does, except wirelessly. You'd think that would be a smarter way to go about it. Come on Lexus!

Yes I believe you are correct that it is the same one. I think the VAIS is what all Lexus dealers are fitting. I don't know of another option. Except all late '09 on IS250 come with a factory USB which IMO works better.

I've asked about this option for Pre-09 face lift models and was told by a dealer they haven't even heard of it. If I wanted it, I was much better off upgrading to a '09 EMV??

I'm currently running my Ipod via the AUX port which is a bit 1990's.

From what I've been reading about VAIS, it's a matter of plugging it into the back of the secondary CD changing port and volla that's it.

I believe that our Nav systems will be moving away from DVD to hard drive system. Hopefully some of that memory will be usable. Also Bluetooth streaming should be not too far away.

I feel they are a little slow with the hard drive systems. It would just make sense to upload your music/videos/pics etc into the central system and run like your PC (without internet). Then again, wouldn't that be great, built in Wi-Fi??? or access for mobile internet. It just makes sense for cards to go this way.

I'm suprised why we can't play music though bluetooth in the IS250 yet. A2DP protocol has been around in phones for many many years now, you can buy bluetooth headphones and stream music to them etc. You'd think they'd forget about messy cables and just upgrade their bluetooth in the EMV. Having said that, iPod/iPhone doesn't have A2DP (unless it has been put in recently). Still, many phones have had it for years. Ah well. Good thing about A2DP is that you can also skip tracks, play/pause, ffw/rew, and get track listings etc remotely on the screen etc. which is essentially what this integration kit does, except wirelessly. You'd think that would be a smarter way to go about it. Come on Lexus!

I hired a Hyundai Getz recently that allowed my iphone to play music, use the phone and listen to sat nav all via bluetooth!!! what the hell?? a $15k car!

I've asked about this option for Pre-09 face lift models and was told by a dealer they haven't even heard of it. If I wanted it, I was much better off upgrading to a '09 EMV??

You're speaking to the wrong dealer.

http://www.vaistech.com/products/vml_products.php

From what I've been reading about VAIS, it's a matter of plugging it into the back of the secondary CD changing port and volla that's it.

Not sure if its that simple. I've seen one fitted that played both iPod & USB but didn't work or display 100% but after a second attempt and a bit of fiddling by the installer it worked perfect.

Go on Jom, you know you want one.

Not sure if its that simple. I've seen one fitted that played both iPod & USB but didn't work or display 100% but after a second attempt and a bit of fiddling by the installer it worked perfect.

I know I do want one! :)

I didn't know what it was called before only just that it exists. I might try that Nam guy.

I hired a Hyundai once and the USB integration was a standard feature on base model!

I didn't know what it was called before only just that it exists. I might try that Nam guy.

I hired a Hyundai once and the USB integration was a standard feature on base model!

It really is easy - it only has two leads one from back of OEM head unit to interface box and one from the box to iPod cable. The emulation I had problems with wasn't too hard to fix with help. No need to fiddle with the iPod while in the glove box all controlled from touch screen or steering wheel.

It really is easy - it only has two leads one from back of OEM head unit to interface box and one from the box to iPod cable. The emulation I had problems with wasn't too hard to fix with help. No need to fiddle with the iPod while in the glove box all controlled from touch screen or steering wheel.

Do you have the VAIS one? How does it work - Does it utalise a 2nd CD changer option when switching between different media? I have a non EMV model but it said to still be compatible.

I have the VAIS setup in my IS250... works flawlessly, even with the new iPhone 3GS model.

It appears as a 2nd CD changer and doesn't affect the operation of any other feature of the stereo system.

I was worried before I ordered mine, but am 100% satisfied and don't regret it one bit.

I highly recommend getting one if you use an iPod/iPhone frequently.

Would be very interesting to do a price comparison, and see what the dealers 'mark up' is. The only benefit of going thru the dealer (if it is the same unit) is you'd get more 'grace' on workmanship/materials warranty etc.

Contacted Melbourne City Lexus. They ask for $685 to install iPod/iPhone integration.

As I mentioned before the VAIS USB unit is a bit dearer but gives you options of usage over the iPod only unit.

I would be leaning more towards this kind of unit.

Does anyone know if there are there any local dealers / resellers here in Australia?

I'd like to source locally before I go offshore

As I mentioned before the VAIS USB unit is a bit dearer but gives you options of usage over the iPod only unit.

I would be leaning more towards this kind of unit.

Does anyone know if there are there any local dealers / resellers here in Australia?

I'd like to source locally before I go offshore

Check your PM's

• 2 weeks later...