Hi, All

My car was service last month and talk with dealer about the cold start rattle sound, not all times but it happened someday, maybe just 1 second only and then back to normal. I was think this is just normal when the weather turn to cold but it's not. After inspection they told me there is fault cam gear due to the design problem and will cover by warranty repair.

Dropped off another day and they fix it: change the parts and everything is OK now. 6 hours jobs so not a cheap job. After that I search the web I think this job is link to Lexus TSIB EG017-07.

I also ask dealer about the other engines with same problem and looked like 3.5V6 has same issue. I know some RX350 owner have same problem and fix by dealer.

OK below is the most important thing:

This is not a recall so Lexus will not fix it if you don't ask them. If you have same issue, record the sound and show the service man. The costing to fix it after the warranty will be around 3K.

Can you describe abit more on the sound? Rattling (like loose knifes and forks in a bag) or gear growling (like there is no oil)?

yes this was a recall i read about this from Clublexus back in 2008 when i got my first is250

i went to dealer after hearing that noise.

they fixed it under warranty

it was due to the cam gears backlash.

Well i was complaining about how the is a growling sound at cold start up, and somewhat sounded like ticking.

If there was a recall, surely the dealers will have this into and asked us to bring it in?

Ok will keep an ear out for high-kick-rev-metallic-grind noise.

That said i have not done my 30km service, and it's a few months overdue, u recon there will be issue with the waranty?

nope tell em

it's a common problem if they have any problems with you making that claim

and if he doesnt believe you ask for the manager

lexus very well know about this problem

According to that US TSIB it's for 06-07 IS350's

I have heard that sound probably twice ever since I got the car. Happenned on a cold start on a hot day - If that makes sense? I mentioned it during one of my services and was told it was probably needing an oil change.

Mine's an '08 model which I hope isn't an issue in the making.

• Like 1

wat other TSIB's are there??

i know of the brake dust one, im gonna go the dealer after i get my p's and ask em to fix it

wat do i need to do?

just take it and tell em bout the brakes, and theres a TSIB for em?

TSIB BR001-07 ('06-'07 IS 250): Front Brake Squeak

or is it this one

TSIB L-BR002-06 (’06 –’07 GS430 & IS250/350 & ’07 GS350/450h): Excess Brake Dust Issue

i think its just the squeal tho

Don't worry about brake dust la. Even the LFA has brake dust issues...no joke...i just drove it. Was told changing to a different brand solves it.

It's weird cos eversince i had the car, i was feeling abit uneased with the start up noise. It's a Lexus so why isn't it smooth.

Don't worry about brake dust la. Even the LFA has brake dust issues...no joke...i just drove it. Was told changing to a different brand solves it.

It's weird cos eversince i had the car, i was feeling abit uneased with the start up noise. It's a Lexus so why isn't it smooth.

Wow, You should bring the LFA to the next meet. Shame us all...lol :lol:

Btw, doesn't look like dirt. It looks like shadow chrome

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I have very similar problem in my 2008 lexi 2008 which will run out of warranty in 10 days :(((

Occasional and intermittent Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up!!!! (just happened 3-4 times since 1 month ago and NONE of them happened at the cold start!)

I know there were well know problem of rattling noise at the cold start for pre-07 models which apparently the problem was faulty VVT hub or something like that and it was a TSB published regarding this problem. BUT mine is 2008 model (apparently they already fixed the problem after 07!) and never happened at the cold start!

I bought the vehicle second hand from Lexus dealership and will run out of statuary warranty soon (2 weeks), I tried to convince them about the problem but since it’s occasional, then I couldn’t replicate the problem at Lexus dealership and prove it to them!pat.gif
I tried to capture it on tape but no success yet. They are refusing to fix the problem Peace.gif

The sound is more like a very rapid clicking (like switching noise - something (electronic?) is switching in the engine bay rapidly for less than second or trying to switch) which happen when the speedometer & tachometer needles getting close to the end range. I checked if the noise coming from needless or not , but the actual noise coming from the engine bay or somewhere behind the dash.
The sound is very similar to the clicking sound of engine if someone try to start it with dried battery (but this clicking sound is much faster and happens when the engine already started running) - i tried my best to explain this strange sound confused.gif1387914497.gif

the period of the sound is sometime just one click/rattle after start up and sometimes 4-5 click/rattle after start-up(which all happens in less than second)

Also,
Another intermittent and occasional problem is water gurgling (bubbling noise) sound coming from behind the dash and more frequent in hot days. This problem is also very intermittent and occasional and happens in start (NOT necessarily cold start). My research end up with possible water-pump problem or coolant air-lock (just saying as I'm definitely not an expert or mechanic!).pat.gif

I desperately appreciate your help! Peace.gif

Any idea? How can I prove it to them? I sold my PUG407 and bought a Lexus to live a hassle free life! Cannot afford another challenge and fight for this one again!mad.gif
Please tell me how to handle this problem or better to sell this sad.gif!
I’m so fussy and spent heaps of $ to rectify numerous problems on my previous car and don’t have neither money nor energy for this one! wink.gif

thanks mates! please help me :(((

According to that US TSIB it's for 06-07 IS350's

I have heard that sound probably twice ever since I got the car. Happenned on a cold start on a hot day - If that makes sense? I mentioned it during one of my services and was told it was probably needing an oil change.

Mine's an '08 model which I hope isn't an issue in the making.

Hey buddy, i have exactly the same issue on my 2008 lexi is250 :( the vehicle will run out of statuary warranty within 10 days) unfortunately i couldn't tape it yet! what was your problem? it was VVT thing (same as 06-07 models) ? i'm so stressed! please let me know how far did u go with that problem , many thanks