Rattles - Anyone Got One?

Blacky

I don't know how it can be "played around with"? Not even sure what that means. I bought it with 45k kms on it, I'm the second owner and the car has always been looked after with full Lexus service history.

I just regret test driving it on smooth roads. I don't really think it's an isolated incident or that this car is a "lemon" given all the information on interior rattles all over the internet.

Danny, you have posted a number of times in the thread with rattles that were fixed by Lexus Chatswood... You only specifically mentioned the sunroof but have said "rattles" (plural) were fixed. So I presume you recommend them. Which ones did you have done?

mate tbh

iv never had any rattles

after i put stuff on my car

Intake

Exhaust

Coilovers etc

i started to develop rattles

but chatswood lexus fixed it all up for me

they even fixed my sub and i didnt even know about it

end of the day

Every car and car maker has their problems

what makes customer return is

the quality of the sevice they are getting

Ie. Lexus will fix your car and keep on fixing your car with out any questions untill you are happy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't have an IS-F, I've still had the unfortunate displeasure of putting up with all these rattles and squeaks in my '11 IS350 F Sport.

It's got to the point now where I have just bought another car and will look at selling the IS because I'm totally over it.

I've had the drivers door seal rattle and the ONLY way it can be fixed (and its only temporary) is to lube the seal with silicone spray/tyre shine (wtf!?).. Not something you should have to be doing regularly on a ONE YEAR OLD car that cost in excess of $80k!

As I said, it's a temporary fix and as soon as I wash the car and dry it/wipe out the door jambs and seals - it obviously removes the lubricant and the rattle comes back instantly.

It also disappears in the window is dropped slightly.

Pathetic IMO.

Dash rattles - where do I start!? The RH outer air vent area rattles and drives me insane every single time I drive the car. It's only a very feint rattle (similar to static in a speaker etc) but in such a refined cabin - is easily heard. Car has been back 5-6 times for this issue alone with the entire dash being removed last time (which annoyed me no end) and not making any improvement what-so-ever.

I also had an insanely irritating squeak coming from the dash panel above the instrument cluster on hot days. Sounded exactly the same as two blocks of polystyrene foam being rubbed together constantly. Obviously something was expending with the heat from within the dash causing the problem.

I once had to drive 3 hours listening to it constantly (was heard even with the ML sound system set to volume of 45) and was ready to write it off! Captured it on my phone and took it straight to the dealer principal/manager. They had the car for almost 2 weeks and managed to rectify the issue - being a lack of insulation between the instrument cluster and the dash pad or something.

Sunroof creaks and rattles in the tilt-up position (the usual position I like it to be in) - not sure if this is wind deflector related or the seal itself rubbing on the roof sheetmetal. So just keep the thing closed now - well worth the $2,500 extra at time of purchase - NOT!

Also have static type rattles from the B pillar area on coarse chip bitumen and a slight rattle from the rear parcel shelf area..

I love my IS, it's a great looking car and has so much packed in to it for the price - but the interior is absolutely crap IMO. The only thing I will give it is that it's a car that's virtually 7+ years old in design so that can be used as an excuse as to why the interior is dated/lacking in build quality.

The dealer has been fantastic, I've never been without a car or inconvenienced because of it - they've always picked my car up and delivered it (which is handy because its a 450km round trip to my dealer) and I can't fault their service at all - but in a car that costs as much as it does, carrying claims (self made claims) that its one of the best built car in its class is just garbage and shouldn't be something you should have to deal with.

I'm hoping the next IS is faultless in these areas because I really want to upgrade to one of those and I won't be happy if I go through all this again!

Man that does not sound too good.

While it has really pissed me off with the little squeak and high frequency rattle, I am living with it, I am not about to sell a great car because of it.

You mentioned it but one of the main reason for some rattles etc and that is the rest of the cabin is so quiet.

I guess the biggest thing with my small rattles and squeaks is no matter how many times I took it back they never fixed it!!!!

The door seal squeaks, other brand have this issue (BMW I know as I had it) model door seals I guess but the high frequency rattle vibration at the B pillar they have not been able to fix. It is only a small area and I thought they would be able to pinpoint and resolve but never to be the case. To be honest sometime I thought they just washed by car parked it and called later for me to pick it up. I am sure this was not the case but there were times I pulled out of the dealers driveway and the rattle was still there.

As I have said in the past the service staff have been great, but I guess the true show of greatness would have been for LEXUS to fix the simple problems. I am up for a new car next year and if it wasn't for the rattles and squeaks I am sure I would have just brought another ISF (Black hopefully) but I keep thinking + $100K and I still get annoyed.

Anyhow, we could go on an on about it but I gave up about a year ago and thought I would just drive the thing. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Good news story for my rattles. I've all but fixed those coming from the dash. Some time in the passenger seat after a trip from Sydney let me fiddle for a while on it. I pulled the passenger vent and just pushed on it until I found them.

The source of the centre stack and passenger vent rattles are the dash 'mat' being loose. This can be fixed by removing the passenger upper vent (just comes out if you pull cafefully) and tightening that area. I wrapped my passenger vent in felt several times so it was a tight fit to get back in. This puts pressure on the dash which runs all the way to the centre stack and stops the centre vents and console from moving around, also stops the rattle from the passenger vent, too.

So pleased I found it and fixed it. It rattles now and then still but only on big bumps, which is acceptable. I'll just accept the door rattles, the car is far easily to live with now it no longer sounds like the centre console is about to fall out (and the annoying passenger vent one).