Problem With Gps Navigation System On Is250 2005

I have just purchased a 2005 IS250 Sports Luxury. The navigation system seems very old fashioned compared with the portable GPS's we can purchase today. I have had to recalibrate my position several times (which you never have to do with the portable ones) and my question is, if I upgrade to VER 17 being the latest map, will this fix the problem? Also is Ver 17 just the maps or is there some form of upgrade to the GPS itself? I would hate to spend $350 on the DVD only to find that every time there is a bit of cloud cover I still have to recalibrate my position. It would be a total waste of money if that is the case.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so did you fix it with a new map or is it the actual system which is just ancient by today's GPS standards?

Thanks

hm.. very strange i dont seem to be having any problems with my gps recalibrating itself

V17 is pretty much a updated version of the older map (ie new maps new housings and new streets etc)

hm.. very strange i dont seem to be having any problems with my gps recalibrating itself

V17 is pretty much a updated version of the older map (ie new maps new housings and new streets etc)

ditto for me. never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't even know how to recalibrate it!

ditto for me. never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't even know how to recalibrate it!

There is a way to manually adjust your location, somewhere in the settings, I've seen it before.

Get the connection to the GPS antenna checked. My RX350 did this when I first got it (2nd hand), and it was just a loose connection, fixed under warranty. Don't let anybody talk you into expensive fixes before you've checked the basics!

AFAIK the map disk only updates the maps. And frankly its a bloody ripoff! Lexus will charge you somewhere between $300 and $400 to update the disk. You can buy two portable sat-navs for that, with the same maps and better functionality. I don't normally condone software stealing, but in this case I believe Lexus and Whereis are stealing from gullible customers. There's a thread on here about downloading the new maps via torrent.