Bleeps On Downshift

Hi guys..

Excuse my ignorance. I keep reading reviews of the ISF mentioning that on downshifts there is a bleep sound that you hear. I dont get this when I downshift.

The only time it makes the bleep sound is when I approach redline and there is a bleep when it doesnt allow you to downshift from 2nd to 1st due to high speed travelling.

What am I missing here:)

It will bleep on the down shift if you try to select a lower gear than what the car would like i.e. shifting into a gear that will send the engine into the redline.

In other words you shouldn't be selecting this gear yet, too early.

It will bleep on the down shift if you try to select a lower gear than what the car would like i.e. shifting into a gear that will send the engine into the redline.

In other words you shouldn't be selecting this gear yet, too early.

ahaa.. thats what they mean. Always happens to me when trying to downshift from 2nd to 1st.. I was under the impression it would bleep each time you downshift..

Come to think of it, when you downshift from 2nd to 1st, you can really feel the engine/gears doing most of the braking.

Do you guys normally start in 1st gear or 2nd gear when launching?

i feel that when you launch in 1st gear, you really dont have that much time to change to 2nd gear. Just feels 1st gear is very short and too agressive (especially in sports mode) - which I guess isn't a bad thing...

But interested to know how you guys launch the car. Do you guys always switch to sports mode everytime you switch your engine on?

i'm rarely in sports mode

when i launch the car i just let it slight roll then hit the gas

in sports mode it just wheels spins everywhere hence being slower.

didnt know you can launch in 2nd gear?

Can you actually start from a standing start in 2nd?

I thought all gears except 1st had a lock up and hence bypassed the torque convertor.

I am no expert but if this was the case I do not beleive you could stand still in second without stalling the motor???

I could be completely wrong on this but this is the whole reason 1st gear uses the torque convertor and the other gears are locked for better more direct drive.

Thanks for the response.

Hmm. I dont think, I've ever tried launching in 2nd gear.. I was assuming that you could:)..

I also read that Sports mode isnt all that fuel economical as opposed to normal mode. I guess we didnt purchase these cares to be save on petrol..

• 1 month later...

Hi guys..

Excuse my ignorance. I keep reading reviews of the ISF mentioning that on downshifts there is a bleep sound that you hear. I dont get this when I downshift.

The only time it makes the bleep sound is when I approach redline and there is a bleep when it doesnt allow you to downshift from 2nd to 1st due to high speed travelling.

What am I missing here:)

Just re-reading your post and I am wondering if you mean the rev matching blip of the throttle or the bleeping alarm.

If you are referring to the blipping of the throttle you only really hear this when you are up in the rev range i.e you change down and the revs are above 3,000 rpm in the lower gear.

Just a thought

Yeah.. after re-reading the reviews, it mentions blipping of the throttle on downshift. Does this mean the engine sound? That is, im in 3rd gear at fairly high revs and I suddenly downshift to 2nd gear. I hear the engine sound agressively change down to 2nd. ie you hear such a powerful downshift sound of the engine.

Im assuming this is what they mean:).. It sounds dam fantastic:)

• 4 months later...

I did not realise that even in normal drive mode with the gearlever in full auto the throttle blips on downshifts if you use the steering paddles to shift down.

I could always hear the throttle blip in manual mode with an increased blip in manual plus sport mode (and obviously more of a blip the harder you drive).

Now with the JoeZ exhaust fitted I hear a small blip of the throttle when downshifting on the paddles in normal drive mode with full auto while driving fairly sedately. It sounds really smooth and cool (not an aggresive blip as in other modes) and something that I never realised was happening with the standard exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drive in sport mode and manual mode, come to a corner quite aggressively and change down......you'll hear the engine throttle blip....sounds awesome.....but you don't want to do it on 2nd to 1st down shift

Its like the old heal and toe method in a manual car where when you are about to corner, you change down gears (while braking) with an amount of engine throttle as you dip the clutch, so you keep the revs up when selecting a lower gear so to keep in the torque band (higher rev range) of the engine for accelerating out of the corner. "Blipping" the throttle also makes the gearbox select the lower gear more smoothly.

Watch V8 supercars when they have the camera on the pedals and you'll see them blip the throttle while braking and changing down, just before they are bout to go round a corner